Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Winterizing

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Winterizing

I understand the pipes and lines need to be cleaned out but what about the tanks? The grey tanks we can fully drain but what are you doing with the black tank? Fully drain? I know it can handle some water in it.

Also, anything else you do when winterizing not water related?
    Upstate NY
    2022 Ford F150 with trailer tow package
    2022 Transcend Xplor 231rk
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes - drain and flush the black tank, too. You can pour a jug of "pink stuff" down the toilet if you like, as well as in the P-traps for the sinks and shower. Many folks pour a couple of inches of anti-freeze in the toilet on top of the valve when they're done to keep the seal moist and keep any residual water from freezing there. Remove all food from the rig. If it gets cold enough, canned food can freeze and mice can eat through boxes of cereal and the like. Some swear by dryer sheets (fabric softener) to keep mice out of the rig while stored - you could Google and decide if you want to do that, too. Don't forget to blow out the black tank flush line and the icemaker water line if you have one.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The last day of the last trip of the season (that unfortunately was yesterday), I spend close to 45 minutes making sure the black tank is clean, while still hooked up. Spray bar going, draining, spray bar going on an empty tank, letting the tank fill partially up, draining. I also have one of those high pressure spinner nozzles that I put down the toilet (not while the spray bar is going), and twist it around the tank. By the time I am done, I am pretty sure that tank is clean.

When I get home, I do my winterizing, and some of the anti-freeze does get into the grey and black tank. Even if it didn't, I don't worry, lots of room for any small amount of water to expand. I do not put any anti-freeze in my fresh water tank, and of course, make sure none gets into your hot water tank.
    Last edited by Wileykid; 09-29-2022 at 07:33 AM.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Don't forget to blow out the black tank flush line and the icemaker water line if you have one.

Rob
    Rob,
    How do you blow out the ice maker line - just disconnect at one end? Curious because I believe the Samsung refrig only lets water in on a cyclic time frame. I see the on/off valve but no access to line except under the slide out and removing a clamp.
    Thanks,
    John
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wileykid sort of mentions it, but to be clear, beyond not putting antifreeze in the hot water tank, be certain to remove the plug and drain it. Don't forget low point drains either.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    Rob,
    How do you blow out the ice maker line - just disconnect at one end? Curious because I believe the Samsung refrig only lets water in on a cyclic time frame. I see the on/off valve but no access to line except under the slide out and removing a clamp.
    Thanks,
    John
    If you can't get to both ends of the icemaker line, I believe the manuals say to pressurize the system with antifreeze and let the icemaker cycle a couple of times until you get antifreeze in the ice tray. We don't use our icemaker, so I've not had to worry about it.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    Rob,
    Thanks,
    John
    Pressurize the system with antifreeze. There is a small white square button on the icemaker just underneath the front edge. Pushing this will force a manual fill and dump of the icetray. Keep cycling it until you see the pink antifreeze fill up the ice tray. Takes a dozen or so cycles.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wileykid View Post
    I also have one of those high pressure spinner nozzles that I put down the toilet (not while the spray bar is going),
    That would be hilarious if your significant other turned on the water before you were ready.....also make the ride home loads of fun...lol. "I told you to wait!"
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now for something actually useful to add to this thread.......overinflate your tires by 10-15% after the trailer is parked. Helps hold their hape..recommended by GY. And don't leave tires on dirt.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Keebler View Post
    Pressurize the system with antifreeze. There is a small white square button on the icemaker just underneath the front edge. Pushing this will force a manual fill and dump of the icetray. Keep cycling it until you see the pink antifreeze fill up the ice tray. Takes a dozen or so cycles.
    Nice but we use the icemaker so maybe a little cheap vodka
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast