Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

B&W Slider height & position

I am an absolute newbie with fifth wheels and have read through most of the threads but have found little information on the pivot arm height or whether oriented in the 1” or 3” position. I only picked up my fifth wheel yesterday, and it was very squirrelly whether windy or not. I stopped twice and measured on flat & level ground and got a 4” difference between the frame to ground height both times.
    So if you can, please share your B&W slider settings. Thank you in advance.

My pivot arms are set at the middle height and in the 1” rearward positions.
    Terry & Carol
    ‘19 F250 4x4 CC SB 6.7L w/B&W Companion slider
    ‘22 GD Reflection 278BH w/Turning Point locked out

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry nobody has responded, Terry. I'm not sure I completely understand your question since I'm not familiar with that particular hitch. Perhaps someone who does will come along.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any settings and any measurements from someone else’s rig likely won’t apply to yours. You will need someone who has set up a few fifth wheel hitches to help you out.

I have one that was set up by the dealer and the trailer sits level and the bed clearance is a bit over 6 inches. It tows great with this setup so I suspect you would do well to try to get yours adjusted so your trailer sits level as long as you have enough clearance between the trailer and the bed rails.
    2022 Reflection150 226RK
    2022 F150 Powerboost hybrid with 3.5L Ecoboost

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Second Chance & DougW9876, i appreciate the replies. Mine was setup at the dealer where i bought it. Its a B&W slider that has pivot arms that can be set at 3 different heights and each of those positions then has a foreward and rearward mounting orientation that the fifth wheel locking head sits in. I cant figure out how to add a picture.
    I was hoping that someone with a similar truck might have the B&W slider as well.
    Unfortunately i pulled a boneheaded move and only measured the front and back frame to ground of the trailer and had a 4” difference. I really wish i had measured the above bed rail height. I might adjust to the lower setting and check that out.
    Sad to say that i pulled it home Thursday and Friday night Ian dropped a limb on it so i am taking it back Monday for repair.
    Terry & Carol

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any chance that when you drove it, the slider was in the rearward position? Not the forward "driving" position? I have made that mistake.
    2020 Reflection 303RLS "Betty Roy"
    2023 Silverado 2500 HD, 6.6L Duramax " "
    1955 Ford F-100 "Nellie"
    2017 Great Dane mix "Nibbler", 2018 English Lab "Hamilton"

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The slider was definitely locked in the front/towing position. The truck’s tires were a little low though and with the wind it exaggerated issues.
    We just dropped it off back at the dealership for storm repairs. They installed the hitch & will re-evaluate thesetup when we pick it backup
    Terry & Carol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have the B&W slider as well. I believe we have ours in the middle setting for vertical adjustment as you do. I initially set it up with the pivot arms in the 3” position but changed that to the 1”. As far as sway, or squirrelly behavior, we do not experience that at all. You may want to check how you have it loaded fore and aft weight wise. Too much weight aft and things can get interesting.
    2021 F350 CCSB 4x4 SRW with Air Lift springs
    B&W Companion Slider
    2021 Solitude 375RES-R w/ disc brakes
    Formerly REI 6 man tent

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by daltontrio View Post
    We have the B&W slider as well. I believe we have ours in the middle setting for vertical adjustment as you do. I initially set it up with the pivot arms in the 3” position but changed that to the 1”. As far as sway, or squirrelly behavior, we do not experience that at all. You may want to check how you have it loaded fore and aft weight wise. Too much weight aft and things can get interesting.
    Unfortunately nothing has been loaded yet. We pulled it home empty and tropical storm Ian dropper a large limb on it, so we pulled it back to the dealership, still empty, for repair.
    I believe the camper is still too high in front, but most of the squirrelyness may have been due to the tires being a little low which the wind made a lot worse. I increased front & back psi when i pulled it back and it was a LOT better. When i pick the camper back up they are going to try the lower setting & see if there is still enough bedrail clearance. Fingers crossed.
    Terry & Carol

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thought i would just give an update, in case anybody else has similar questions. We got the camper back after repairs and lowered the B&W fifth wheel pivot arms to the lowest setting, still in the forward orientation. DEFINITELY a huge improvement! Love how it pulls & handles now.
    Please keep in mind this is for the stock height of my 2019 F250 4x4. I assume ‘17-‘19 are the same and they seem to be a little taller than most other years.
    Thanks again for all replies.
    Terry B.
    Terry & Carol

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have mine in the 3" forward position and center on vertical. Lifted pin box to get trailer level and about 7-8 inches clearance. You can't unhook without sliding the hitch, but I did the same with old truck and hitch so pretty used to that.
    2019 SRW Superduty 6.7 PSD
    2021 Grand Design Reflections 31MB