User Tag List

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chevy 2500 HD, hitch advice request

I am moving from an old truck to a new one.

New truck: 2023 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD, crew cab short bed (6.8 foot bed)
    HAS OEM 5th wheel/gooseneck under bed mounting pucks.

Old truck: 2008 Ford F-250 crew cab short bed (6.75 foot bed )
    Uses old-school rail mounts bolted above bed floor.

The old truck and hitch is my first foray into 5th wheel towing and number decisions were made with an abundance of naivete. We used a Husky 16K hitch on a 16K roller mount. (See image attached below.). This set-up functions well but does “clunk” a fair amount and get itself into a mode of “chucking” fore-and-aft where I need to brake slightly to settle it down. As I understand it, the sliding bar type of hitch has some slop in it, as do the slider rollers. This freeplay allows enough fore-aft movement to “chuck”. I have spent time adjusting out as much free-play as I can without causing it to bind up.

We have, however, become accustomed to the manual slider. The rearward position offers allows the tailgate to be open during hitch/un-hitch. And, of course, the peace of mind regarding sharp turns.

In this new truck I’d like take advantage of the OEM mounts and eliminate the chucking. It would be nice to stay with a manual slider. BUT, weight is important. My 3108 lb payload capacity says that I should not use a near-400-lb beast automatic slider, for example.

Plus, I do remove the hitch when not traveling.

I see a few possibilities and want to solicit advice and opinions from folks with the same or similar trucks and fifth wheels.

1a) B&W Companion OEM Slider (RVK3775)
    Looks really nice but is heavy, at about 280 lbs. ( I think. B&W is carefully avoids listing weights.)

1b). B&W Companion fixed position hitch:
    Lighter than the slider, but NOT a slider (what does this weigh??)
    Any folks out there with 303RLS and Chevy 2500/2500 short beds using this? What is your experience?

2) Anderson Ultimate
    Super light. NOT a slider. Different sort of hooking up scheme.
    Any folks out there with 303RLS and Chevy 2500/2500 short beds using this? What is your experience?

3) Buy an adapter plate (Demco or Curt, for example) and move the old Husky 16K slider into the new truck.
    It will work. It will also still be clunky and chucky.
    Need to examine the height of the adapter plate versus the height of the rail bolted in the F-250.
    The bed of the new truck is a maybe ˝ inch higher and perhaps the springs will sag less.

4) Demco and Pullrite
    NO manual sliders. I am resisting automatic sliders. Is the foolish?

5) Curt
    They have a manual slider, but the whole things seems to be too tall.

What am I missing? What is working well for you?

Here is that photo of the old hitch:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1916.jpg  
    2020 Reflection 303RLS "Betty Roy"
    2023 Silverado 2500 HD, 6.6L Duramax " "
    1955 Ford F-100 "Nellie"
    2017 Great Dane mix "Nibbler", 2018 English Lab "Hamilton"

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your combo seems to be the perfect candidate for either the Andersen Ultimate or the PullRite SuperLite (same hitch concept- the Andersen has the cup on the king pin and the PullRite puts the cup on the hitch base). We pulled our first 11,600 miles with an Andersen (steel model on rails) towing a Reflection 337. We set it up so that the cup on the king pin was forward of the pin which increased the distance from the front of the trailer to the back of the cab. It would get to near 90 degrees without contacting the cab... but who does that, anyway? It's too hard on the trailer suspension. Both hitches are very light and remove/install in minutes. With either hitch, I think you'll want to install a dampened pin box (I like the MORryde rubber pin box) to smooth out the ride. We installed a dampened pin box on the Reflection and the difference was amazing.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another option is the Reese Goosebox. I had the Goosebox on my 311, and there is absolutely NO clunk. It also gives you a free bed when you unhitch with the exception of the ball in the bed.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    Another option is the Reese Goosebox. I had the Goosebox on my 311, and there is absolutely NO clunk. It also gives you a free bed when you unhitch with the exception of the ball in the bed.
    This is also a good option, but did you have any issues hitching up by yourself since the ball is not visible in the bed of the truck from the driver's seat?

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    This is also a good option, but did you have any issues hitching up by yourself since the ball is not visible in the bed of the truck from the driver's seat?

Rob
    No, as a matter of fact I taught my wife how to do it so she could take the 311 on a trip with the kids when I couldn't get off work. I hitched up the RV to the truck and painted a white line across the hitch with 2 corresponding white lines on the bed rails. All you had to do was line up all 3 lines and it was ready for hitching. We had the in-bed camera on the last truck which helped, but you could also see the lines through the back window if needed.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @AllenV, we have the Andersen with our Reflection. Super light and I find it extremely easy to hitch.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Your combo seems to be the perfect candidate for either the Andersen Ultimate or the PullRite SuperLite (same hitch concept- the Andersen has the cup on the king pin and the PullRite puts the cup on the hitch base). We pulled our first 11,600 miles with an Andersen (steel model on rails) towing a Reflection 337. We set it up so that the cup on the king pin was forward of the pin which increased the distance from the front of the trailer to the back of the cab. It would get to near 90 degrees without contacting the cab... but who does that, anyway? It's too hard on the trailer suspension. Both hitches are very light and remove/install in minutes. With either hitch, I think you'll want to install a dampened pin box (I like the MORryde rubber pin box) to smooth out the ride. We installed a dampened pin box on the Reflection and the difference was amazing.

Rob
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundsailor View Post
    @AllenV, we have the Andersen with our Reflection. Super light and I find it extremely easy to hitch.
    The Andersen does look really nice on paper. Knowing that the trailer won't hit the cab except in very tight turns AND that the base of the pin box won't hit the sides of the truck bed is my main concern. Since the 303RLS is very popular ( or similar trailers with the same nose and inbox?) I am hoping to gather data from folks with late model GM short bed and a 303RLS.

I will look at the PullRite you suggest.

SecondChance: Glad to see you've have a good experience with the steel version on rail. My owners manual for the truck sates in several places that GM does not recommend fifth wheel hitches that put weight directly on the sheet metal bed floor. The aluminum gooseneck mounting version of the Anderson clearly supports the weight of the pin on the square aluminum frame resting on the truck bed. Using the steel version for rail mount with an adapter plate to the 4 pucks would keep GM happy.

Here is something different I just found, Blue Ox
    https://www.blueox.com/5th-wheel-hitches/

This is similar to Andersen except that it uses the normal pin.
    1955 Ford F-100 "Nellie"

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AllenV View Post
    The Andersen does look really nice on paper. Knowing that the trailer won't hit the cab except in very tight turns AND that the base of the pin box won't hit the sides of the truck bed is my main concern. Since the 303RLS is very popular ( or similar trailers with the same nose and inbox?) I am hoping to gather data from folks with late model GM short bed and a 303RLS.

I will look at the PullRite you suggest.

SecondChance: Glad to see you've have a good experience with the steel version on rail. My owners manual for the truck sates in several places that GM does not recommend fifth wheel hitches that put weight directly on the sheet metal bed floor. The aluminum gooseneck mounting version of the Anderson clearly supports the weight of the pin on the square aluminum frame resting on the truck bed. Using the steel version for rail mount with an adapter plate to the 4 pucks would keep GM happy.

Here is something different I just found, Blue Ox
    https://www.blueox.com/5th-wheel-hitches/

This is similar to Andersen except that it uses the normal pin.
    I forgot to mention that my experience with the Andersen was with a GMC Sierra CC with the 6'6" bed. I had tracks on the inside of the bedrails for a bed cover in place on that truck which reduced the inside clearance on tight turns, but elevating the ball a notch (which also leveled the trailer) gave enough clearance to the pin box when rotated to the side.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AllenV View Post
    I am moving from an old truck to a new one.

New truck: 2023 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD, crew cab short bed (6.8 foot bed)
    HAS OEM 5th wheel/gooseneck under bed mounting pucks.

Old truck: 2008 Ford F-250 crew cab short bed (6.75 foot bed )
    Uses old-school rail mounts bolted above bed floor.

The old truck and hitch is my first foray into 5th wheel towing and number decisions were made with an abundance of naivete. We used a Husky 16K hitch on a 16K roller mount. (See image attached below.). This set-up functions well but does “clunk” a fair amount and get itself into a mode of “chucking” fore-and-aft where I need to brake slightly to settle it down. As I understand it, the sliding bar type of hitch has some slop in it, as do the slider rollers. This freeplay allows enough fore-aft movement to “chuck”. I have spent time adjusting out as much free-play as I can without causing it to bind up.

We have, however, become accustomed to the manual slider. The rearward position offers allows the tailgate to be open during hitch/un-hitch. And, of course, the peace of mind regarding sharp turns.

In this new truck I’d like take advantage of the OEM mounts and eliminate the chucking. It would be nice to stay with a manual slider. BUT, weight is important. My 3108 lb payload capacity says that I should not use a near-400-lb beast automatic slider, for example.

Plus, I do remove the hitch when not traveling.

I see a few possibilities and want to solicit advice and opinions from folks with the same or similar trucks and fifth wheels.

1a) B&W Companion OEM Slider (RVK3775)
    Looks really nice but is heavy, at about 280 lbs. ( I think. B&W is carefully avoids listing weights.)

1b). B&W Companion fixed position hitch:
    Lighter than the slider, but NOT a slider (what does this weigh??)

2) Anderson Ultimate
    Super light. NOT a slider. Different sort of hooking up scheme.

3) Buy an adapter plate (Demco or Curt, for example) and move the old Husky 16K slider into the new truck.
    It will work. It will also still be clunky and chucky.
    Need to examine the height of the adapter plate versus the height of the rail bolted in the F-250.
    The bed of the new truck is a maybe ˝ inch higher and perhaps the springs will sag less.

4) Demco and Pullrite
    NO manual sliders. I am resisting automatic sliders. Is the foolish?

5) Curt
    They have a manual slider, but the whole things seems to be too tall.

What am I missing? What is working well for you?

Here is that photo of the old hitch:
    Hey Allen - on our last truck we used the Companion slider. Way too heavy, even in two pieces. My new Sierra 2500HD has the fifth wheel prep package which includes the hitch platform and has the standard bed. There is a fixed Companion made for this setup. I think the model number is RVK3300. It is quite manageable and, at least with my 341RDS, a slider isn’t necessary. Fits perfectly. It tears down into two pieces, so I can easily remove or install the hitch on my own. Anyway, good luck with this.
    2022 Grand Design Reflection 341RDS
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28BH (our first GD)
    2022 GMC Sierra 2500HD (thanks Honey!)

Camping is our thing!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redhawk View Post
    Hey Allen - on our last truck we used the Companion slider. Way too heavy, even in two pieces. My new Sierra 2500HD has the fifth wheel prep package which includes the hitch platform and has the standard bed. There is a fixed Companion made for this setup. I think the model number is RVK3300. It is quite manageable and, at least with my 341RDS, a slider isn’t necessary. Fits perfectly. It tears down into two pieces, so I can easily remove or install the hitch on my own. Anyway, good luck with this.
    Fantastic. I have been curious about the option 1b), fixed Companion. I'll go try to figure out if your 341RDS is any different than my 303RLS
    1955 Ford F-100 "Nellie"

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast