User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to 5th wheeling

I just bought a 2018 reflection 303rls and will be towing it with a 2019 F250 (gas) 4x4 with a pullrite 2700 hitch. My question is I have a slight drop where the road meets my driveway. When I would drive on to the road with my Class A DP if I didn't drive off it at a angle my door steps would catch on roadway. Is this going g to be a problem with the hitch or trailer??

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How deep is the drop? You might want to keep an eye out that the trailer doesn't hit the side rails. Also it's dependant on how much clearance space you have between the side rails and the trailer.

We take a partial curb drop off the edge is parked up, about a 3 inch drop. Always go slow and gently and so far haven't had any issues but we have about 7 inches of space.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's more of a steep grade not a drop off.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a pretty steep driveway. I gave it a shot but had to abort the mission when the trailer got within an inch of making contact with the top of the tailgate. The only way to know for sure is to try. Good luck!
    2022 F450 Platinum
    B & W Companion
    2024 Brinkley Model Z 3610

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My driveway is 5-7* uphill from the road, and with the small road, I am usually around 50-60* turn angle to back in. I have a short bed, so I use a Sidewinder hitch, and have a 7" bed to trailer clearance. It gets interesting, but have not hit anything.

If you have a short bed, be aware that with the nose of the trailer pitching down, you will not have as much trailer to truck cab clearance if you are using anything other than a slider or Sidewinder.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's going to be a trial and error type thing. I have a drop off from the main road onto the gravel road that leads to my house. When I brought the Momentum home for the first time, I used two spotters to watch and the critical areas. 1. Bed rail to the bottom of the trailer pin box area. 2. Tail swing, because there are seven mailboxes across the street from my driveway on the main road.

Very slow and very slow are the two most important things to keep in mind. I'm talking Sloooow. Slow enough to stop within less than a foot if one of the spotters sound the alarm to stop. The main road to the gravel is about a 7 or 8 degree downward slope and it was kind of gut wrenching the first time. I have between 7 to 7 1/2 inches of bed rail clearance and at the worst part of the turn, it was down to about 2" clearance. That's not a lot, but no contact is made and that's what is the key. Using spotters....and two way radios if you have them will help with blind spots if the spotter goes out of your sight temporarily. The Momentum sits up pretty high, so I wasn't worried about dragging the tail end of it when pulling out either, but each trailer is different, so you have to keep an eye on everything.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sections of 2 by lumber can be useful to adjust angles. Just go slowly and follow rule number one for trailers in tight places: Get Out And Look.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana