User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

propane and altitude

At what altitude should you expect to experience problems with gas appliances? And what would the symptoms be?
    The reason I'm asking is on our recent trip in Upper New England (beautiful BTW) we were boondocking every few days. When we stayed over night at Mt. Washington, I had a hard time getting the water heater to light up. After messing around with it (confirming we had good spark, checking the thermo coupler, all other gas appliances working.... everything checked out) it eventually fired up after many tries. We never had any issues with it. it had worked great a few days prior. I did notice a different clicking sound when it tried to light up. It seemed to be coming from the h/w tank gas valve. The next day, we boondocked at Montpellier and the same problem occurred. Again, good spark but no fire and that clicking noise from the gas valve was there again.
    I started suspecting that it might be due to altitude but we weren't that high. Where we parked at Mt. Washington was at 2500 ft and Montpellier 1200 ft. Is this normal? I thought that gas appliance would start having altitude problems at 6000 ft.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    At what altitude should you expect to experience problems with gas appliances? And what would the symptoms be?
    The reason I'm asking is on our recent trip in Upper New England (beautiful BTW) we were boondocking every few days. When we stayed over night at Mt. Washington, I had a hard time getting the water heater to light up. After messing around with it (confirming we had good spark, checking the thermo coupler, all other gas appliances working.... everything checked out) it eventually fired up after many tries. We never had any issues with it. it had worked great a few days prior. I did notice a different clicking sound when it tried to light up. It seemed to be coming from the h/w tank gas valve. The next day, we boondocked at Montpellier and the same problem occurred. Again, good spark but no fire and that clicking noise from the gas valve was there again.
    I started suspecting that it might be due to altitude but we weren't that high. Where we parked at Mt. Washington was at 2500 ft and Montpellier 1200 ft. Is this normal? I thought that gas appliance would start having altitude problems at 6000 ft.
    Altitude comes into play around 8-9k feet, for me.

It actually sounds like you have moisture in the combustion chamber, or something blocking the air flow to/from the combustion chamber.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First, some teasing: "altitude" if you're in an aircraft, "elevation" if you're on the ground, and "height" if you're on top of a building.

Now, we have routinely used our LP appliances (including the absorption fridge in the Reflection) at elevations over 5,000 feet without any issues. 1,200 and 2,500 ft. should be no problem at all. I agree with @MoonShadow_1911 that you have something else going on.

Rob

Addendum: above transition level, commercial aviation uses "flight level" instead of feet and altitude.
    Last edited by Second Chance; 10-06-2022 at 08:25 AM.
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    First, some teasing: "altitude" if you're in an aircraft, "elevation" if you're on the ground, and "height" if you're on top of a building.

Rob

Addendum: above transition level, commercial aviation uses "flight level" instead of feet and altitude.
    Ugh. I should have known better... [emoji16]
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with the above info.....that elevation should not have affected anything propane. We were at Ruby's Inn Campground in Bryce City, Utah last year and the elevation in that area is just under 7700'. We were plugged into shore power, but the furnace ran every night we were there.....low 30's overnight and 26 degrees the last morning there before pulling out. Zero issues with propane. I used the grill a couple of times also....and no issues.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's one of the problem with being bilingual. LOL either way, it was giving me attitude. LOL
    I kind of figured that I shouldn't have had any issues at that elevation. Its not like we brought it to the summit.
    Funny thing is it work great after that and ever since.
    I'll do some more digging and testing.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What was the temperature? Sometimes the propane regulator doesn't like cold weather. It gets cold, the gas trying to pass gets cold and then icing happens. On a previous rig I had to use a hair dryer on more than one occasion and/or rep an incandescent trouble light near the regulator.

Also, I have had issues with the gas stove lighting when I make rapid elevation changes but that out west with variances of up to 3000 feet in one day.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't had any issues when camping over 8 thousand feet above sea level in Colorado. Perhaps try to run the stove first for a minute or so to clear the gas line.

Safe and happy travels.
    2012 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT Z71 6.2l aka "Luci"
    2020 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22 MLE aka "Desi"

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    What was the temperature? Sometimes the propane regulator doesn't like cold weather. It gets cold, the gas trying to pass gets cold and then icing happens. On a previous rig I had to use a hair dryer on more than one occasion and/or rep an incandescent trouble light near the regulator.

Also, I have had issues with the gas stove lighting when I make rapid elevation changes but that out west with variances of up to 3000 feet in one day.
    Temps were around mid 50 and some rain, it was real damp.
    We arrived there from Conway, NH which is only 400ft elevation. So that and the dampness could explain.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now, we have routinely used our LP appliances (including the absorption fridge in the Reflection) at elevations over 5,000 feet without any issues. 1,200 and 2,500 ft. should be no problem at all. I agree with @MoonShadow_1911 that you have something else going on.

Rob

It is not just commercial aviation, but ALL aviation (including military and private civilian) uses
    “Flight Level” above transition altitude.
    2004.5 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 DRW, 5.9 CTD, TST PowerMax CR, ATS Stage IV trans, B&W Companion hitch
    2021 Solitude 310GK, MORryde IS 8K axles w/disc brakes, H-rated tires, Slide toppers, Heat pump, 2.88KW solar panels w/2xVictron 3000w inverters, 8xLionEnergy batteries, W/D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast