User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I frequently camp at 7500-8000 ft elevation. I haven't noticed anything different with the way my propane appliances work.

I do change the "altitude" (sorry, Rob) setting on my Onan, though.
    signature

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    At what altitude should you expect to experience problems with gas appliances? And what would the symptoms be?
    The reason I'm asking is on our recent trip in Upper New England (beautiful BTW) we were boondocking every few days. When we stayed over night at Mt. Washington, I had a hard time getting the water heater to light up. After messing around with it (confirming we had good spark, checking the thermo coupler, all other gas appliances working.... everything checked out) it eventually fired up after many tries. We never had any issues with it. it had worked great a few days prior. I did notice a different clicking sound when it tried to light up. It seemed to be coming from the h/w tank gas valve. The next day, we boondocked at Montpellier and the same problem occurred. Again, good spark but no fire and that clicking noise from the gas valve was there again.
    I started suspecting that it might be due to altitude but we weren't that high. Where we parked at Mt. Washington was at 2500 ft and Montpellier 1200 ft. Is this normal? I thought that gas appliance would start having altitude problems at 6000 ft.
    I had a problem at higher elevations on one of my older campers and the pressure regulator was bad. Initially we checked and increased it but the settings would not hold. New regulator did the trick. We camp at 8k ft and higher here in CO all through the summer.
    40+ Year Camping Enthusiast--Living in CO
    2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC-LB D-Max Payload 3865#--- 5000 Air Springs w/Wireless Comp
    2022 GD Reflection 303RLS-- 565 watts of solar/560aH of LIPO4 batteries, 2000w inverter,
    DC Starllink- Comfort Ride Shock System and Lippert Air Pin Box

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been to 8800 many times without any issues
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It must have just been moisture as the problem never returned, and I did not change anything. I inspected every bit and never found anything obvious. It just happened to happen when we were a little higher up the usual. We are currently on our spring trip, and everything is working as it should. Except for possibly a bent axle, grrr. Thanks all for helping.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not as much oxygen the higher you go. You can open up the air mixture to let in more...should be true for all propane appliances.
    Also, if your propane mixture is too rich, than can be adjusted also.
    We begin at 5000 ft and camp up to 10k ft.
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the
    2022 F350 SCSB 7.3 GdZa 4x4, 10 Sp w/4.30s - Lariat Sport in Atlas Blue

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12