User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by David Moses View Post
    We will probably just take small regular camping gear. Folding chairs, folding table, outdoor grill, outdoor carpet for awning, some type of outdoor game (horseshoes or cornhole) an ice chest maybe. Probably just a couple of hundred extra pounds I would think. Thanks for all the feedback. We are going to the dealer today and look at thier hitches again and get thier opinions on truck and hitch. Go to truck dealership and get thier opinions and continue to do more reasearch.
    Warning *** This is not true in every single case, but far too often. When asking a dealer about a product (in your case hitches and trucks), many times they will tell you a certain hitch...or truck. And coincidently they will just happen to have that one in stock and ready to sell to you! Buyer beware....in Capitol letters.....
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi David, that is a good plan, ask and do research before you purchase. A better plan is to do the research before you shop just to make sure you don't get sold something that will not fit your needs, which you are already doing

Just some more thoughts which will be mostly redundant to the above advice from everyone.

Truck: To expand on my first reply. My Tundra has a payload of 1250 lbs., our Xplor 221rb has a tongue weight of 700 lbs.
    Add in 100 lbs for the hitch weight gets to 800lbs. Add in another 100 lbs for stuff in the truck bed gets to 900 lbs. Add in my wife and it gets to 1250 lbs. So, I'm at my payload. The gas tank on the Tundra is 26.4 gallons and going 100 miles puts the gas gauge at 1/2 full. Getting gas requires finding a gas station that has both space for entry and exit so it limits where you get gas. We are looking to replace the truck next year. For a half ton truck my requirements will be no less than a 32 gallon gas tank, 1600 lbs of payload and towing mirrors. This makes the selection limited. I'm leaning toward a 3/4 ton gas truck and just living with the ride. All the 3/4 tons will have the towing mirrors, larger gas tanks and larger payloads and are designed for towing.

Hitch. I'm using the Husky TS centerline with 800 lb. spring bars and it has worked well. If I load stuff in the truck bed I use 1000 lb. spring bars. Nice thing about the Husky TS is you can use either set of bars with the same hitch head.

The 221rb pulls really well. Never had any sway issues, so IMO any of the weight distribution hitches with built in sway control will work fine.

Have fun shopping!

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @David Moses, welcome to the forum. As you've already seen, this is a great place to come to learn from the GD family. +1 to future-proofing your truck, you may end up wanting a bigger trailer, get a truck that can handle it.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not helping with the hitch question, but let me assure you DIDN'T start out wrong. The forums are full of tales of woe by those who chose their truck first only to discover they can't pull the trailer they want. So now pick a truck that will haul your rig AND any you might consider for an upgrade before you care to replace your truck. I went the "trailer first, truck second" route for my first travel trailer, and the same when I upgraded to a fifth wheel. No regrets.
    bdcolvin
    2020 Reflection 303RLS
    2019 F-350 CCSB SRW Diesel

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for feedback. My wife and I are looking at a 2022 ram 1500 8110 max tow and 1700 ish payload. It should be able to tow at the max of trailer. Just hoping that would not be over taxing the truck for this trailer. Thanks

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi David, while shopping for your truck look at the yellow sticker on the drivers side door jam for the payload. It will list the payload, don't go off the published numbers on the RAM website. Most all the manufacturers list a payload based on a single cab with no options, so it will be quite a bit lower on a crew cab that has options.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey David,
    We just purchased a 2022 221RB ourselves BEFORE buying a truck!
    My wife has a Jeep Sahara Unlimited but we doubted it could tow a trailer.
    Being a GM guy, we ended up with a 2022 Silverado Custom 2500HD Crew Cab.
    Our trailer dealer installed the Fastway E2 Weight Distribution hitch and we towed the 221RB home (100+ miles).
    Can't really even tell that we are towing unless I look in the rear view mirror and see the trailer
    I believe a 1/2 ton (1500 series) would have been sufficient to pull the 221RB but we went with the 3/4 ton (2500 series) edjust in case we ever wanted a larger trailer.
    Best of luck to ya!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok so my wife and I purchased a 2022 f150 xlt. 1837 payload. Tow package. 3.5liter EcoBoost 3.31locking rear axle fx4 package super crew. With 36 gallons fuel tanks. The numbers are saying 11300 towing. I feel like it should be enough truck even if the tow isnt actually 11300. I feel pretty good about the truck with the safety features it has vs the ram that had none of the safety features or even tow package or Integrated trailer brakes the f150 has. Thanks for everyone's input. David & Norma.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12