User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to R.V. and towing

Hello from Dallas Texas. My wife and I just purchased a new 2022 transcend xplor 221rb. Maybe we started out wrong, We still need a truck and we are already overwhelmed by hitch options. Hoping to learn from this forum. Thanks

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks like you will have about 1000lbs of hitch weight. Truck payload is generally the primary limit for campers.

So how much weight will you add to the truck since it left the factory? This includes people and cargo. You need a payload high enough to handle this and the hitch weight. Anything you can put in the camper instead of the truck only add a percentage of the weight if it is in front of the axles, however you don't want to add too much behind the axles as too light of hitch can cause handling issues.

Not all trucks are the same, I have a F150 and they can very from ~1400 to over 2000lbs payload, mine is 1800lbs. You need to verify the payload on the actual truck inside the drivers door.

Some people will say 3/4 ton+ but it is not really needed especially if the truck will be a daily driver.

Also get a good WDH with integrated sway control.
    2021 Imagine 2800BH
    2017 Flagstaff 831CLBSS - Sold 5/2021.
    2017 F150 Super crew, 3.5EB, long bed, max tow, 1800lbs payload. Pro Pride, prior WDH Blue Ox SwayPro

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to R.V. and towing

It won’t be anywhere near 1000 lbs of tw imo

More likely in the 750 range
    Any of the halftons will handle this trailer

Keep in mind the more “fancy” options on the truck limit the payload available

I use a husky centreline hitch but would prefer the Equalizer 4 hitch I had on my previous trailer
    Imo you can’t go wrong with an Equalizer
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats and welcome to the forum. Your trailer is a little bit bigger and heavier than my 22MLE and my tongue weight is closer to 850lbs, which include 88lbs of WDH. I pull with a 2012 GMC Sierra 1500 w/6.2l and it pulls great. The more payload for the truck the better. Didn't the dealer offer a hitch as part of the sale? The Equalizer is a popular brand. I have the EQs little brother Fastway E2 with square friction bars. Works great, had it on my last trailer as well. The EQ and Fastway are heavy, so that can be issue for some. Which ever WDH you get, just make sure you read the manual.

Safe and happy travels.
    2012 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT Z71 6.2l aka "Luci"
    2020 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22 MLE aka "Desi"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a note...many people's first travel trailer ends up being a starter trailer. We started with a Tundra (1/2 ton) and a Transcend 247BH. By the end of the first camping season, we were looking for a bigger truck because my wife had her eye on a fifth wheel. If you don't already have a truck, you might consider a bigger truck to future proof yourself.
    2016 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
    2021 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3550BH

Camp Sites - https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...fw&usp=sharing

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    It won’t be anywhere near 1000 lbs of tw imo

More likely in the 750 range
    Any of the halftons will handle this trailer

Keep in mind the more “fancy” options on the truck limit the payload available

I use a husky centreline hitch but would prefer the Equalizer 4 hitch I had on my previous trailer
    Imo you can’t go wrong with an Equalizer
    The TT has ~8K GVW rating, even loaded to 7K it will still be about there, can you tell me how you get 750?
    2021 Imagine 2800BH
    2017 Flagstaff 831CLBSS - Sold 5/2021.
    2017 F150 Super crew, 3.5EB, long bed, max tow, 1800lbs payload. Pro Pride, prior WDH Blue Ox SwayPro

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi David, we have a 2020 Xplor 221RB and it has been great. Pull it with a 2012 Tundra 5.7 V8 without any issues. I measured my tongue weight at 700 lbs with full propane, and the passthrough loaded with a bbq/4chairs/tools/water and black tank supplies
    We are using a husky TS centerline hitch which has worked fine.

For a truck, my thoughts are, make sure you get one with a large fuel tank. Gas mileage will be about 10 MPG if you keep your speed at or a little below 65 mph. The 10 MPG is for a gas truck. Also pay attention to the payload of the truck. I am close to maxed out because I also carry bikes and a couple of kayaks in the bed.

Have fun with your new trailer!

I need to reweigh the tongue weight one of these days. We added a heavier bed, and I want to weigh it loaded for travel with food and clothes.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by llr2800 View Post
    The TT has ~8K GVW rating, even loaded to 7K it will still be about there, can you tell me how you get 750?
    Don’t believe you are looking at the correct specs

As stated above an actual owner has one that he says is 700 lbs
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Loaded to full GVWR and with 12% (a good rule of thumb) of the gross weight on the hitch, the hitch weight would be around 840 lbs. Add in another 100 lbs. for a good WD hitch with bars, etc, and you'll need about 940 lbs. of payload left over after you load passengers and junk in the truck (which all subtract from available payload). Use the search function on the forum (top right) and search for "weight distributing hitch" and you'll find enough threads on the topic to make your head spin - and lots of good info.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We will probably just take small regular camping gear. Folding chairs, folding table, outdoor grill, outdoor carpet for awning, some type of outdoor game (horseshoes or cornhole) an ice chest maybe. Probably just a couple of hundred extra pounds I would think. Thanks for all the feedback. We are going to the dealer today and look at thier hitches again and get thier opinions on truck and hitch. Go to truck dealership and get thier opinions and continue to do more reasearch.
    Last edited by David Moses; 10-07-2022 at 08:59 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast