User Tag List

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ford 6.7 HO engine

The 2023 configurator seems to be available, was playing around in there and the "HO" engine is now an option. 500HP/1,200TQ vs 475HP/1050TQ. Pretty nice bump, but, hold on to your hats when you select that option!

On the F450, it's +$12,495 to go to the HO!!

Holy smokes, that's more than the diesel option costs going from smaller gas engine to the 6.7.

I'm glad they are offering it, but, wow, that is just too much; I can't imagine what use case you'd have that makes that uplift make sense other than "bragging rights". Especially on a 450 with the high rear end ratio, what on earth do you need more power for?!

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a way for Ford to start getting some of the markup $$$ the dealers were getting. If it's an option, someone who doesnt know what to do with their money will order it. You're probably correct, bragging rights. You could probably get the same bump with a tuner, but really, the "stock" 6.7 is great as it is.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    It's a way for Ford to start getting some of the markup $$$ the dealers were getting. If it's an option, someone who doesnt know what to do with their money will order it. You're probably correct, bragging rights. You could probably get the same bump with a tuner, but really, the "stock" 6.7 is great as it is.
    If Ford wants those markup dollars between invoice and MSRP, I'm happy to give them some of them. Just let me order the truck online at a reasonable discount from MSRP. I'll fly out to Michigan to pick it up.

That said, you're probably right, this is one of those "more money than sense" options that many companies offer (typically it's carbon brakes, great on the track, not so great other places and yet you see them optioned all the time on high end sports cars that will never see the track).

Yes, you can easily tune the standard engine to make that much HP. If you do the "dirty" and delete a standard 6.7, you'll make more HP/TQ than the HO engine with just a very mild tune.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not that many owners tow anything heavy enough to use the standard horsepower 6.7 diesel.

Ford has historically wanted to be the top dog in statistics. I assume this is just another example of that--so they can claim 40,000 lb. towing is possible with one of their SuperDuty trucks.

There again, 40,000 lbs. towing is going to be with a model truck that is not very desirable to drive, and most likely difficult to even order in the coming year. At that level, a F650 mid size truck would be warranted with the same 6.7 driveline--plus huge brakes, wheels, tires and frame that can handle the weights.

I'm at the point that manufacturers' greed has got the best of them when it comes to truck pricing. They act like there's no end of the money. And who knows how much profits are being funneled to Ford's Electric Vehicle engineering and building factories and battery factories. We're talking $5.5 billion in West Tennesse alone. That money's got to partially come from excessive profits on other vehicles--like SuperDuty trucks.