User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Font Cap (black rubber seal) is coming off

So, I returned home from the local GD Rally (Captiol Rally in College Park, MD) on Sunday. It was raining badly so I waited a few days before disconnecting to refuel and reconnect for my trip next weekend.

While doing so, I noticed a large, what I think is an air bubble in the graphics on the left side and then a large section of the black rubber seal coming off the area where the side wall joins the front cap. There is no damage, I did not hit anything. The seal just simply came off the joint. It appears that the clear caulking material is still in place and that they did not attach the seal correctly to the trailer allowing it to separate from the trailer. Let me also state that I wash this trailer regularly, at least monthly, and I would have noticed the seal coming off before this weekend trip.

I called GD to see if they would repair via a warranty claim. The CSR was quick to point out that it was out of warranty. I purchsed the trailer new in April of 2021 so it is 18 months old. I sent her the photos of the affected area and the (what I hope is) only an air bubble. I pressed on it lightly and I do not think it has water inside the bubble, only air which resulted from me driving down the road to and from the rally. It as not raining while I was in motion to and from the rally which is why I am hopeful it's only air in the bubbles (one large and one small). I checked the inside of the trailer in all of the areas I could access and I could not locate any water or damage. If it does have water, it would probably be in an area that I could not access with out some disassembly.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Keller 178121 Air bubble L side #2.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	78.5 KB 
ID:	43300Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Keller 178121 Air bubble L side #3.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	78.6 KB 
ID:	43301Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Keller 178121 Air bubble L side #4.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	77.1 KB 
ID:	43302Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Keller 178121 Air bubble L side #5.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	80.7 KB 
ID:	43303Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Keller 178121 Air bubble L side #4.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	77.1 KB 
ID:	43302

So, while waiting, I realize I need to seal up the opening. I could put some Eternabond tape on it but that would probably inhibit a repair. Any other suggestions? Thanks for your input.
    Bobby K.
    2021 Reflection 150 260RD
    2016 Ram 2500 CTD
    Central Maryland

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eternabond is very hard to remove, I wouldnt use it.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, like I said, I am hesitant in using Eternabond as a temporary fix. I have some of the Gorilla brand heavy duty black duct tape I will use unless someone else has an idea of something else to use? I need to keep water out. I have not heard back from GD yet but hopefully they will make the repair.

Thanks for the reply.
    Bobby K.
    2016 Ram 2500 CTD
    Central Maryland

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a similar thing happen, although it was for the front cap to the sidewalk, and I did not end up with bubbles (sorry you are dealing with that).

Ion mine a screw backed out on the termination bar it covered. I simply cleaned it and resealed it with Geocel 2300 Tripolymer sealant. I got the Opaque. They sell different colors, but the most popular are black, clear and opaque.

Good Luck
    Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you poked the decal with a tiny pin to see if water came out? It just seems odd there is no trail leading to the bubble. If it's dry inside .
    I would have it checked for delamination.

If you can put the seal back into place seal it with some sealant until you get it figured out and a permanent repair
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    Have you poked the decal with a tiny pin to see if water came out? It just seems odd there is no trail leading to the bubble. If it's dry inside .
    I would have it checked for delamination.

If you can put the seal back into place seal it with some sealant until you get it figured out and a permanent repair
    You have a great point.

OP should touch it gently with finger. If there is water in there it will jiggle, if it is air finger will press in on the decal until hitting the gel coat if a delam it will move but not jiggle. I am sorry for the extremely “technical” language used to describe each condition and I hope it makes sense.

Bill
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redapple63 View Post
    I am sorry for the extremely “technical” language used to describe each condition and I hope it makes sense.

Bill
    It does make sense but I never thought of "jiggle" as being a technical term
    Last edited by WhittleBurner; 10-10-2022 at 06:14 AM.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First, thanks for all of the responses.

My original post says I had touched it and I did not (and I still don't) believe there is water in the bubble. I can easily move it and I belive it only has air.

REDAPPLE: Are there screws or some other type of mounting hardware that is supposed to be connecting the rubber seal to the metal bar below it? If so, I do not see any.

Thanks all.
    Bobby K.
    2016 Ram 2500 CTD
    Central Maryland

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Font Cap (black rubber seal) is coming off

Quote Originally Posted by Leatherman View Post
    First, thanks for all of the responses.

My original post says I had touched it and I did not (and I still don't) believe there is water in the bubble. I can easily move it and I belive it only has air.

REDAPPLE: Are there screws or some other type of mounting hardware that is supposed to be connecting the rubber seal to the metal bar below it? If so, I do not see any.

Thanks all.
    Hi Leatherman,

No the seal just snaps into the termination bar.
    There is butyl under the Termination Bar and sealant on the top and bottom of the bar. The deal just covered the screws in the bar.

Bill
    Last edited by Redapple63; 10-17-2022 at 07:17 PM.
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got it. I got the unit to the local (well sort of local) repair shop Custom Coach in Rosedale, MD (off Rt. 695 and Rt. 40). They are about 45 minutes from my house depending on traffic. I dropped it off and expected them to have the trailer for 3-4 days for the repairs.

They called 90 minutes after I dropped it off and said it was ready. They got everything fixed and it does look great. They did a good job.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	custom coach logo.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	44440
    Bobby K.
    2016 Ram 2500 CTD
    Central Maryland

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast