User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Converting to lithium...keep my converter (for now)?

Well, I may have forced a move up. Just returned from Gulf State Park (Alabama), where I dropped my trailer at a storage yard near there. Will return near New Years to use it for a 3 month stay in the park. Proceeded to unload cloths/perishables we didn't want to leave in it for 3 months. Got the crescent wrench out to disconnect the 2 6v while in storage. DW needed to open a slide, and a hand with stuff, so helped her. Buttoned it all up and drove away. Next day, about 650 miles away, remembered "The Batteries!" Shoot, now parasitic draw will surely drain them down to zero over the coming months. So may need to haul the 5 yr old grp 24 that came with the trailer back with me in Jan., or find something to buy there the day we arrive.... not relishing using the old one (it works, but how well is the question) and not keen on the idea of trying to quickly find replacements there....might, might not....

But....my 2 Grp 31 AGM's used for my boat trolling motor are going on year 12 next summer (!!!) So time now to change them out for lithium's. And since I never use the boat and the trailer at the same time, with the lighter weight it will be practical to move them from one to the other when needed.

So, the burning RV related question, if I buy them now for shared use -

How tough will it be to swap out the stock WFCO converter for one that is lithium enabled, in the campground?

OR, even if they won't fully charge, can I get buy using the stock converter and postpone the conversion until I get the trailer home in the spring, where I would have all the tools and time needed to take on the project? (ie - we won't be trying to live out of it while the project is under way).
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Assuming you have shore power for your three month stay on the gulf. No problem waiting on the converter upgrade. I identify with the all tools on hand and plenty of time and no pressure mode of fixing things.
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No issues with stock converter and lithium batteries. You wont harm them, and they wont be fully charged, but pretty close. A coworker of mine had 2 battle born 100AH batteries on the stock converter for about 3 years (probably still does, we dont work together anymore).
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On ours, the charger is builtin the panel, so to replace means replacing the entire panel and moving all the wires over but on many, the charger is separate. If yours is separate and have easy access to it then it's an easy and quick job. You can run lithium on your existing charger but it will only charge them up to about 80%. I also would prefer working on my rig with access to all my tools but as I said, if your charger is separate and you have easy access then it can be done on the road. Hopefully someone with your model will pitch in soon.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My build sheet has the WFCO part number which I looked up. In my case it is WF 9855, a separate unit simply plugged into an outlet and bolted to the floor behind the distribution panel. There are two 12 awg wires and a ground connected to a terminal strip. Probably need a full set of both US and metric Allen wrenches to be sure about that one. Could easily be replaced during one of those long commercials while watching The Voice with the audio on mute on any given Monday or Tuesday. We will wave as we drive by on our way from Florida to California.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best to disconnect the battery while your doing this. Use the Television for room lighting during the install. Plus maybe a headlamp.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    On ours, the charger is builtin the panel, so to replace means replacing the entire panel and moving all the wires over but on many, the charger is separate. If yours is separate and have easy access to it then it's an easy and quick job. You can run lithium on your existing charger but it will only charge them up to about 80%. I also would prefer working on my rig with access to all my tools but as I said, if your charger is separate and you have easy access then it can be done on the road. Hopefully someone with your model will pitch in soon.
    I have seen several videos that show a “surgical” removal of the bottom portion of those style panels. A small bit of modification and a deck mount will fit right in making it more modular for the future.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyStar View Post
    Best to disconnect the battery while your doing this. Use the Television for room lighting during the install. Plus maybe a headlamp.
    Absolutely you will need to turn off all power to replace the converter.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can run lithium on your existing charger but it will only charge them up to about 80%.
    I would double check this information. Assuming your converter is a stock WFCO, then the charging voltage is at 13.6v. That would lead to a 3.4v cell voltage. With a LifePo4 battery, that would get you to about 95% of full charge. Although LifePo4's are fully charged at 3.65v, there is little to be gained. Just a few ah more.

Before you believe me, just check it out yourself.
    Check this video out. He probably could explain it way better than me.
    https://youtu.be/pijPu7t-akM

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can run lithium on your existing charger but it will only charge them up to about 80%. I also would prefer working on my rig with access to all my tools but as I said, if your charger is separate and you have easy access then it can be done on the road. Hopefully someone with your model will pitch in soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
    I would double check this information. Assuming your converter is a stock WFCO, then the charging voltage is at 13.6v. That would lead to a 3.4v cell voltage. With a LifePo4 battery, that would get you to about 95% of full charge. Although LifePo4's are fully charged at 3.65v, there is little to be gained. Just a few ah more.

Before you believe me, just check it out yourself.
    Check this video out. He probably could explain it way better than me.
    https://youtu.be/pijPu7t-akM
    You can run your Lithium (LiFePo4) batteries with your old Converter, however, you will only get about 55% of a charge. It is a common misconception that the old Converter will give you about 80% State of Charge (SOC).

I base this statement on a video from Ray, at Love Your RV, that ran his LiFePo4 batteries with his OEM Converter for a couple of years before he finally upgraded his Converter to a Lithium Capable unit. For Ray, upgrading his Converter was not a priority because his Solar panels could get his batteries to 100% SOC, however, he did spend his summers at a stationary location and his experience showed only a 53% SOC from the OEM Converter.

Here is the Link to the Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEutPVI-2R8

PS: The video also shows how to change out a Power Center that has a built-in Converter.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast