User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Using a memory foam mattress on Murphy bed?

We are looking at downsizing our 22RBE to a 17MKE. The stock Murphy bed mattress will NOT work for us. We replaced the stock mattress in our 22RBE with an 8" memory foam queen. Very comfortable.
    Could I use a regular memory foam mattress in the murphy bed or would I need to purchase a foldable Murphy bed mattress?
    I know we could always use a topper if needed but those are always sliding around on the bed.
    Thanks
    Frank & Nadine
    2023 Imagine XLS 17MKE
    2021 Ford F‑150 XLT 3.5L V6 Hybrid 4WD SuperCrew Cab Factory Max tow package

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FL-Guy View Post
    We are looking at downsizing our 22RBE to a 17MKE. The stock Murphy bed mattress will NOT work for us. We replaced the stock mattress in our 22RBE with an 8" memory foam queen. Very comfortable.
    Could I use a regular memory foam mattress in the murphy bed or would I need to purchase a foldable Murphy bed mattress?
    I know we could always use a topper if needed but those are always sliding around on the bed.
    Thanks
    Pretty sure a standard memory foam mattress would work well in your Murphy bed. We put one in a sleeper sofa and it has been fine.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very few foam mattresses are 100% memory foam - they are usually sandwiches of different foams to provide combinations of support and comfort. That said, many foam mattresses come compressed in a box (ours did) and expand to their full size when the vacuum wrapper is removed. I would think this type of mattress would be well suited to a Murphy bed (though they can be heavy).

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Very few foam mattresses are 100% memory foam - they are usually sandwiches of different foams to provide combinations of support and comfort. That said, many foam mattresses come compressed in a box (ours did) and expand to their full size when the vacuum wrapper is removed. I would think this type of mattress would be well suited to a Murphy bed (though they can be heavy).

Rob
    Thanks. We're not so concerned about the weight. We pack pretty light as we're not full timers.
    My concern is that a thicker mattress without a definitive folding point would flex enough to fit into the frame when the bed is lifted.
    Frank & Nadine
    2023 Imagine XLS 17MKE

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. We're not so concerned about the weight. We pack pretty light as we're not full timers.
    My concern is that a thicker mattress without a definitive folding point would flex enough to fit into the frame when the bed is lifted.
    I was thinking about the weight on the Murphy bed mechanism - not the trailer.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    I was thinking about the weight on the Murphy bed mechanism - not the trailer.

Rob
    Duh. I didn't even think about that. Just figured I'd have to lift harder.

Just checked out the mattress we have now and it doesn't flex easily at all, so might need a different one.
    Frank & Nadine
    2023 Imagine XLS 17MKE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    What did you end up putting on your Murphy?

I just grabbed a New-2-Us 17MKE and the factory Serta mattress is to "too hard" for my better half.

I'm thinking a topper may be our only option ...
    '21 Imagine XLS 17KME

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vap0rtranz View Post

I just grabbed a New-2-Us 17MKE and the factory Serta mattress is to "too hard" for my better half.

Still have the 22RBE for now. Heading out to Panama City Beach this morning for waterfront campsite.
    Frank & Nadine
    2023 Imagine XLS 17MKE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vap0rtranz View Post

Finally got the MKE and got rid of the standard mattress after the first night.
    We got a Sleepy's Snug 8" RV Queen memory foam from Mattress Firm. Doesn't have any fiberglass in it like alot of foam mattresses do.
    On sale on their website now for President's day.
    Very comfortable and fits perfect in the bed. It's a little heavier but lifts and bends easily.
    I think the residential queen size would fit fine and not stick out any further than the edge of the folded down couch.
    Frank & Nadine
    2023 Imagine XLS 17MKE

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting comments. We got a brand new 2023 Grand Design Imagine XLS 17MKE, and we love it, mostly. BUT, the mattress that GD uses for the Murphy bed is very poor, and we are looking to replace it. I see that some of you seem to be using a non-foldable short queen magic foam mattress, which surprises me, especially since your mattress is an 8 inch. Is that working OK for you? I was concerned that the folding point of the foam might damage the foam or create a low spot in it. So is folding up the bed not harming the magic foam? That is my concern. I see that Camping World also offers a folding type mattress for the Murphy beds, so we have been looking at that one as well. So what are the reports?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast