User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Winter and Batteries

We are going to store the TT in the back 40 this year and I know the battery will lose its charge over time. So, I am going to remove it for the Winter and place it in the basement along with the other batteries (mowers). But here are the questions.

This is a deep cycle battery, do I need to put it on a trickle charger for the Winter? Is there a size/rating for that trickle charger?

Do I just shut of the battery disconnect or do I need to do other things? Like turn off the solar?

Should all the batteries be treated the same? Lead Acid, AGM, etc?
    Upstate NY
    2022 Ford F150 with trailer tow package
    2022 Transcend Xplor 231rk
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A conventional flooded cell will need to be topped off a couple of times over the winter. An AGM can be left sitting over the winter if it’s disconnected from any load. Cold temperatures are good for the batteries as long as they are fully charged. Warmer temperatures accelerate self-discharge.

I wouldn’t put a trickle charger on a battery. The term is too vague. If it’s a charger than shuts down completely or drops to 1A upon completion of charging, it would be acceptable, but constant charging can result in loss of electrolyte.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    A conventional flooded cell will need to be topped off a couple of times over the winter. An AGM can be left sitting over the winter if it’s disconnected from any load. Cold temperatures are good for the batteries as long as they are fully charged. Warmer temperatures accelerate self-discharge.

I wouldn’t put a trickle charger on a battery. The term is too vague. If it’s a charger than shuts down completely or drops to 1A upon completion of charging, it would be acceptable, but constant charging can result in loss of electrolyte.
    I think I am throwing it in the basement and hope for the best.
    Upstate NY
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Depends on where you live. I'm a strong advocate for doing nothing. Check water levels, fully charge it, disconnect at the terminal, and just leave it. Been doing so for my flock of 6 batteries for almost 20 years now. Never do they come out of storage at below 85% full charge, and usually at 90 or above. Typically Oct-April. Most boat owners here in Minn. do the same. Had one I forgot about that went an entire year outside in storage, and still had 80%. Still use that one, at the 5 year mark now. My back thanks me, especially for the GC2's and the Grp 31 AGM's. Attached is a typical chart for the rate of self discharge for Lead Acids according to average temperature. Batteries love the cold. Fully charged, they don't freeze until -73F.
    Worst is in hot climates - the high temps can greatly accelerate the self discharging. If I was in Arizona in the summer, I would take them inside.
    There are good trickle chargers available, if one must. But most of the time, they are an additional expense, problem for making sure you have power, needing to make sure the batteries are not low on fluid periodically, and an off chance they could be hurt if the charger over charges....so why bother with the complication unless really needed?
    Lithiums are even better, but it is kinder to store them in a state of discharge if not in use for a long period.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lead acid discharge.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	43369
    Last edited by sande005; 10-11-2022 at 05:32 PM.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I second what @sande005 just said. Most of our summer toys are stored in shelters outside. I'm actually in the winterizing process as we speak. I make sure the LA gets a final full charge and are fully disconnected. TT, tractor, boat, lawnmower (electric start), DW Solstice..... Never had an issue. Come April/May they are all good.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by docque View Post
    We are going to store the TT in the back 40 this year and I know the battery will lose its charge over time. So, I am going to remove it for the Winter and place it in the basement along with the other batteries (mowers). But here are the questions.

This is a deep cycle battery, do I need to put it on a trickle charger for the Winter? Is there a size/rating for that trickle charger?

Do I just shut of the battery disconnect or do I need to do other things? Like turn off the solar?

Should all the batteries be treated the same? Lead Acid, AGM, etc?
    I remove my battery's when I winterize. I take them inside and keep them on a trickle charger. Really no reason to leave them on the trailer and they will last a lot longer.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hokensalem View Post
    I remove my battery's when I winterize. I take them inside and keep them on a trickle charger. Really no reason to leave them on the trailer and they will last a lot longer.
    You'll get a lot of arguments about that.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    You'll get a lot of arguments about that.
    There are tons of opinions here. I live in Upstate NY and I know from experience that if I leave the battery outside and disconnected, it will be dead come Spring. I would prefer not to go through feet of snow and freeze my butt off to check levels. That is why they invented basements. Heck, I had a daily driver that the battery froze in when it dropped way below freezing.

I don't know about trickle chargers and do not see if there is a difference so I will just throw it in the basement and hope for the best.
    Upstate NY
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just winterized ours for the year. Doesn't get super cold here like other parts of the country or Canada. I set the heater @ 40 degrees & fill the propane a couple times through out the winter months. For the past couple of years I have just left the batteries connected. Trailer is plugged into shore power. Should I be disconnecting them & bringing them into the garage? Not sure how that would be any different than leaving them on the trailer? Should I just disconnect them by using the battery disconnect switch? Or just leave as is?
    Jason & Jamie
    2016 F150 Lariat Supercrew 4x4, 5.0L, 3.55
    2020 Imagine XLS 22RBE
    The Great PNW!

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by docque View Post
    There are tons of opinions here. I live in Upstate NY and I know from experience that if I leave the battery outside and disconnected, it will be dead come Spring. I would prefer not to go through feet of snow and freeze my butt off to check levels. That is why they invented basements. Heck, I had a daily driver that the battery froze in when it dropped way below freezing.

I don't know about trickle chargers and do not see if there is a difference so I will just throw it in the basement and hope for the best.
    One definition of "opinion": "An opinion is a person's belief, feeling, or judgment about something. It is a subjective or value judgment, and it cannot be proven." "A fact is a statement that can be tested by experimentation, observation, or research and shown to be true or untrue."
    We can disagree about how much and what kind of observation or research is needed to accept something as a fact.
    Your observations are counter to mine, so we disagree about the facts.
    I wonder, however about your details - was the battery outside completely disconnected? Or was there a bit of draw that accelerated its loss? Was it fully charged and otherwise in good condition to begin with? If completely disconnected, there is never a need to go through feet of snow to check levels. Electrolyte doesn't just evaporate to any measurable degree in a season or a year (a fact). Fully charged batteries cannot freeze until they get to -73F. (a fact). But if it was heavily discharged (cranking an engine for long periods in the cold) and not then fully charged...it could freeze. Storing in a basement WILL accelerate how fast it self discharges, if the basement is warmer than outdoors. But likely not to any critical point - depending on the temp of the basement, and the length of time. So no harm, just not any help. And a hassle to disconnect and lug back and forth.
    Last edited by sande005; 10-17-2022 at 01:47 PM.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast