User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitsman3 View Post
    Just winterized ours for the year. Doesn't get super cold here like other parts of the country or Canada. I set the heater @ 40 degrees & fill the propane a couple times through out the winter months. For the past couple of years I have just left the batteries connected. Trailer is plugged into shore power. Should I be disconnecting them & bringing them into the garage? Not sure how that would be any different than leaving them on the trailer? Should I just disconnect them by using the battery disconnect switch? Or just leave as is?
    Depends on why you are maintaining heat. If you will be using it periodically, then continue on. Others may note that the converters (chargers) built in are pretty low quality, so you may be shortening the life of the batteries if yours doesn't do a great job of maintaining. But one has to weigh the cost of upgrades rather than just getting a new battery in 4 years rather than 5, or whatever your experience ends up being. If you use the switch, then you can't heat the trailer and there are still a few things that the switch doesn't cut power to - smoke/propane detectors, the audio system, etc. Those small draws will run the battery down moderately quickly. You should check the electrolyte levels every month or two if left plugged in.
    If you aren't using it for longer periods - a month or more, why waste the propane and wear and tear on the heater/battery systems? Just charge up the batteries, fully disconnect at a terminal, and leave it all until just before you need to use it again. Since you winterized, your average outdoor temps will be cool enough to give you a very long time before you need to worry about recharging the battery. See the chart I posted.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sande005 View Post
    One definition of "opinion": "An opinion is a person's belief, feeling, or judgment about something. It is a subjective or value judgment, and it cannot be proven." "A fact is a statement that can be tested by experimentation, observation, or research and shown to be true or untrue."
    We can disagree about how much and what kind of observation or research is needed to accept something as a fact.
    Your observations are counter to mine, so we disagree about the facts.
    I wonder, however about your details - was the battery outside completely disconnected? Or was there a bit of draw that accelerated its loss? Was it fully charged and otherwise in good condition to begin with? If completely disconnected, there is never a need to go through feet of snow to check levels. Electrolyte doesn't just evaporate to any measurable degree in a season or a year (a fact). Fully charged batteries cannot freeze until they get to -73F. (a fact). But if it was heavily discharged (cranking an engine for long periods in the cold) and not then fully charged...it could freeze. Storing in a basement WILL accelerate how fast it self discharges, if the basement is warmer than outdoors. But likely not to any critical point - depending on the temp of the basement, and the length of time. So no harm, just not any help. And a hassle to disconnect and lug back and forth.
    I guess you misunderstood what I was commenting on. The opinion quotes is based on what people do not the science behind it. Some leave it and it is fine. Others pull it out. And even others turn the heat on in the RV and leave it connected.

I have had car and lawnmower batteries "bloat" and in some cases die over the winter. Brand new battery in the lawnmower was useless after a Winter here with no draw on it.

Maybe just leave it in because I am replacing in the Spring.
    Upstate NY
    2022 Ford F150 with trailer tow package
    2022 Transcend Xplor 231rk
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by docque View Post
    I guess you misunderstood what I was commenting on. The opinion quotes is based on what people do not the science behind it. Some leave it and it is fine. Others pull it out. And even others turn the heat on in the RV and leave it connected.

I have had car and lawnmower batteries "bloat" and in some cases die over the winter. Brand new battery in the lawnmower was useless after a Winter here with no draw on it.

Maybe just leave it in because I am replacing in the Spring.
    I live just north of you where winters are harsher and I've never had issues with storing batteries outside. I always make sure they are top up if not sealed, fully disconnect and I give them a full charge. This includes cars, tractors, mowers.... YMMV I guess.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in Wisconsin, and with my muscle cars I just disconnect the batteries and leave them in the garage til spring. When I wake them up, they will crank for a while to get gas up to the carburetor. And I don't have to put a charger on them.
    Same with my 1999 Craftsman lawn tractor, its previous battery lasted 15 years. Yes, 15 years. A Diehard.
    JK

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The term trickle-charger I remember from my childhood because my grandfather had one in the 1960's. I later found that it would boil the water on a battery if left on for too long. Now, as a senior citizen I have found that battery conditioners are much more preferable to maintain batteries during the off-seasons.

On our Solitude we are able to keep it plugged into shore power any time it is not moving. The inverter is also a conditioner and our two deep-cycle batteries only need water about every 18 months. I use inexpensive conditioners from Farm and Home or the like that average < $15. I used to pull the mower, tractor, generator, and three boat batteries every winter but now they spend the winters connected t conditioners. They almost never need water in the spring! I just bought two more for our cars that will spend the winter in Michigan while we're in Florida!
    Frank and Char + Maya, Newport, Michigan. 2016 Solitude 379FL/2006 F250 6.0 diesel w/dually conversion. 4th rain-sense roof vent, two ceiling fans, Kodiak disc brakes, Carlisle G 14-ply tires, Water Miser x2, final dump valve, water header tank, fridge cond fan switch, outside range exhaust, elec hot water anode, filtered drinking water, triple battery box,

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitsman3 View Post
    Just winterized ours for the year. Doesn't get super cold here like other parts of the country or Canada. I set the heater @ 40 degrees & fill the propane a couple times through out the winter months. For the past couple of years I have just left the batteries connected. Trailer is plugged into shore power. Should I be disconnecting them & bringing them into the garage? Not sure how that would be any different than leaving them on the trailer? Should I just disconnect them by using the battery disconnect switch? Or just leave as is?
    I just live a few miles from you near Mason Lake. I have been plugging into shore power all winter, no heat on though, and have had no problems with my lead acid batteries. I check the fluid level when winterizing and then again in the spring and things are good. Those batteries are too much of a pain to get out of the front compartment of a fifth wheel.
    2019 29rs
    2007 Ram diesel, 4x4 long bed
    CDL with tanker, hazmat, emergency vehicle, and bus endorsements

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, not sure if it is a good thing or not but they Wife just said, "Why don't you just leave it in and keep it plugged into the house?" I am going to assume that it will keep the battery charged as needed.

What the heck, might as well since we are getting a new battery in the Spring.
    Upstate NY
    2022 Ford F150 with trailer tow package
    2022 Transcend Xplor 231rk
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by docque View Post
    Well, not sure if it is a good thing or not but they Wife just said, "Why don't you just leave it in and keep it plugged into the house?" I am going to assume that it will keep the battery charged as needed.

What the heck, might as well since we are getting a new battery in the Spring.
    I have left every RV I have owned over the years plugged in at the house and winterized.. The converter (WFCO) OEM 3 stage does just fine at keeping the batteries maintained.. Current batteries are now 8 years old ( 2 Costco GC2 golf cart batteries ).. I top off the electrolyte as needed during the winter months... I also go out and fire up the furnace once a month and run for a few minutes to exercise that appliance.. Our night time temps often are around 5 degrees

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12