User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    Guess what I was saying is that everything I use is native to the TV and Laptop - only need those connected to my wifi travel router.
    Everyone's level of technogeek is different. [emoji16]
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    Everyone's level of technogeek is different. [emoji16]
    Well, tbh I plug in a USB HDD to the TV which is velcro'd to the back. Started recording shows with Firefox add-ins 15 years ago. The only thing I need to do now is keep DW Hallmark happy.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all! Apparently our TCL TV in the camper does not have wifi or BT, but I will check again tonight. I looked for a way to screen share from my iPhone to the TV directly, but the TV never showed on the iPhone Screen Sharing screen. We have a Sony Blu-ray player that is wifi/BT and does have screen mirroring capabilities, just NOT for Apple products, go figure!

The Lightning to HDMI adapter is intriguing. We will play around with the wife's laptop though to see if we can just run a HDMI cable from it to the TV.

I did figure out how to download Amazon Prime programs via their mobile application. I think the same can be done with the Hulu mobile application, but I haven't tested that yet. Maybe tonight.

I appreciate all the guidance!
    2020 Grand Design 230 RL
    2019 Ford F-250 6.7L Diesel

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MJMCCAND View Post
    Thanks all! Apparently our TCL TV in the camper does not have wifi or BT, but I will check again tonight. I looked for a way to screen share from my iPhone to the TV directly, but the TV never showed on the iPhone Screen Sharing screen. We have a Sony Blu-ray player that is wifi/BT and does have screen mirroring capabilities, just NOT for Apple products, go figure!

The Lightning to HDMI adapter is intriguing. We will play around with the wife's laptop though to see if we can just run a HDMI cable from it to the TV.

I did figure out how to download Amazon Prime programs via their mobile application. I think the same can be done with the Hulu mobile application, but I haven't tested that yet. Maybe tonight.

I appreciate all the guidance!
    Okay, you have Apple products, that will make my advice more targeted.

The Mabooks should have an HDMI video out port.

For casting from your iPhone, both the phone and the Roku TV need to be on the same wireless network. When you are at home, it should work just fine, at an RV park or campground, maybe not so much.

The following is a bit advanced. Several of us have created a wireless network for the camper, whether that be with a cellular hotspot, using a phone as a hotspot, Starlink, or some other way to connect devices to the Internet.

The easiest way to show a movie, offline, on your TV is to buy the aforementioned Lightning to HDMI adapter for your iPhone, or use a laptop with an HDMI output port; both connected directly to the TV via an HDMI cable.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, you have Apple products, that will make my advice more targeted.

The Mabooks should have an HDMI video out port.

For casting from your iPhone, both the phone and the Roku TV need to be on the same wireless network. When you are at home, it should work just fine, at an RV park or campground, maybe not so much.

The following is a bit advanced. Several of us have created a wireless network for the camper, whether that be with a cellular hotspot, using a phone as a hotspot, Starlink, or some other way to connect devices to the Internet.

The easiest way to show a movie, offline, on your TV is to buy the aforementioned Lightning to HDMI adapter for your iPhone, or use a laptop with an HDMI output port; both connected directly to the TV via an HDMI cable.
    As I mentioned in another thread, the Apple Lightning to HDMI adapter is an easy plug and play solution. Stay away from third part adapters. They are cheaper and will work, but many report issues with different streaming services.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    I normally watch what I've downloaded on my laptop (my wife is not interested in my documentaries). When we want to watch something together, we normally just stream on the ROKU TV (we have an unlimited hotspot plan) or I share the laptop using the "Connect to a Wireless Display" function to cast to the ROKU TV if the program material is from a source not available on ROKU. It would be better quality and less complicated, though, If I were to get up off my lazy behind and connect the HDMI output on the PC to an HDMI input on the TV (easy to get to with our setup - I'm just lazy).

Rob
    What is the average size of the downloaded file if in high def? Can you just DL in standard def to save space on hard drive?
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    As I mentioned in another thread, the Apple Lightning to HDMI adapter is an easy plug and play solution. Stay away from third part adapters. They are cheaper and will work, but many report issues with different streaming services.
    Just ordered an Apple adapter from Walmart, that should do the trick...I kind of hate to even consider doing this. My how I have strayed from the truer form of camping when we'd sit out by the fire til late, then climb into a tent to maybe play cards by the light of a flashlight hung from the tent poles. Oh well, seasons change as do people and our preferences. Though I must say we do still hang out by the fire, but not quite as late as we used.
    2020 Grand Design 230 RL
    2019 Ford F-250 6.7L Diesel

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is the average size of the downloaded file if in high def? Can you just DL in standard def to save space on hard drive?
    Anywhere from around 400 MB through several GB.

There are ways to compress the video files, but you do lose definition.

The smallest and best format is the matroska video format. Most video players will play the file, but I've always recommended VLC, Video Lan Client; it plays everything, natively.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anywhere from around 400 MB through several GB.

There are ways to compress the video files, but you do lose definition.

The smallest and best format is the matroska video format. Most video players will play the file, but I've always recommended VLC, Video Lan Client; it plays everything, natively.
    In post #4 Rob mentions downloading to his laptop. This is what I'm interested in.

I'm assuming this is done using a video streaming provider specific app? If not then how do you download and create the video file on the computer? Then there is the question of converting the file to the matroska video format you suggest. I need a "101" class on this.

My interest stems from the fact I'm on my last Directv HR24 receiver. It still uses the 18" easy to carry/aim antenna. When it dies I've got to re-think a whole new satellite solution or just record and stream.
    Last edited by dryfly; 10-11-2022 at 08:54 AM.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In post #4 Rob mentions downloading to his laptop. This is what I'm interested in.

I'm assuming this is done using a video streaming provider specific app? If not then how do you download and create the video file on the computer? Then there is the question of converting the file to the matroska video format you suggest. I need a "101" class on this.

My interest stems from the fact I'm on my last Directv HR24 receiver. It still uses the 18" easy to carry/aim antenna. When it dies I've got to re-think a whole new satellite solution or just record and stream.
    For Netflix, (this is only in a Windows computer) you will need to go to the Windows store and download the Netflix app. Within the app, you should be able to download and watch offline movies.

Everything I've been reading says the mobile apps are the best for offline content viewing. (I use Linux on my computer and Android for my devices so I want completely familiar with Apple things.)

There is no Mac app so downloading and watching offline Netflix content is not possible, there is an iOS app so you can download and watch offline content on an iPad or iPhone. (I'm sure you can use the lightning to HDMI dongle to watch it on the TV.)

For Hulu, I'm not sure as I don't subscribe to that streaming service.

For the Matroska video conversion, that really is out of scope for this thread. Also, this is if you want to convert a video you own (say from a camcorder) to a small, lossless, format that you can play on your computer or mobile device. There are many guides and videos on the Internet that will walk you through how to do this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast