User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Towing through I70 CO

Hi. I hope this is the correct forum for this question, if you feel another spot would be more appropriate please feel free to share.

We are towing the Solitude 390RK with a Dodge Ram 2500 turbo diesel. We need to get to Grand Junction, CO via I-70 from Denver area. We are a bit concerned about the grades of the highway, we have never pulled that steep. Does anyone have any thoughts/suggestions for this route? Any opinions of alternative routes?

Thanks for the help!
    Michelle

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Merkel W View Post
    Hi. I hope this is the correct forum for this question, if you feel another spot would be more appropriate please feel free to share.

We are towing the Solitude 390RK with a Dodge Ram 2500 turbo diesel. We need to get to Grand Junction, CO via I-70 from Denver area. We are a bit concerned about the grades of the highway, we have never pulled that steep. Does anyone have any thoughts/suggestions for this route? Any opinions of alternative routes?

Thanks for the help!
    Michelle
    Would be nice to know a bit more about your tow vehicle. Assuming a 6.7L CTD. Assuming additional mods to support the pin weight. Don't want this to turn into a GVWR discussion. There's plenty of that already on the forum.
    The Ram 2500 will pull the weight just fine. I'd slow down both up hill and down hill. Use a lower gear, no need to be in a hurry. Respect the curves. Keep the exhaust brake on going down hill to help reduce chance of overheating the brakes.

Welcome to the forum.
    Ken & Tammy
    Union Valley, TX
    2021 GD Reflection 303RLS 5th Wheel
    2019 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4x4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the response. We have 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, that fully supports pin wt wo mods. Our truck is rated to tow 19,300lbs and our RV weights 16,800 so we are concerned about our ability to climb such steep grades.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the response. We have 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, that fully supports pin wt wo mods. Our truck is rated to tow 19,300lbs and our RV weights 16,800 so we are concerned about our ability to climb such steep grades.
    Just a heads up...the towing capacity of the truck is not the determining factor here. The payload capacity of the truck is what may be in question. That trailer has around 2900 lbs of pin weight when it's empty.....new from the factory. The pin weight will be way over that number when the trailer is loaded. You might want to check the sticker on the driver side door post to see what your truck's actual payload capacity is. It will probably be labeled something like "Cargo Carrying Capacity"
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with others that I doubt your suspension (and possibly axle) is rated for that load. My only concern would be axle because those get hot pulling mountains - you want to be under the axle load rating. If you’re under GVWR and payload, you’re likely under axle too. It’s GCWR that plays into towing rating - a different set of numbers. I digress.

Towed that recently. You pretty much have to go over the mountains if you are going through there, and I70 is fine. If going west, it’s a loooooong but more gradual grade versus going east. Slow down, stay right, monitor temps. Make sure you’re under the rear axle rating if you want that to stay cool. But most important - don’t try to go down (much) faster than you are capable of going up, and use the engine to brake.

On our trip, we had plenty of power to accelerate if we wanted going up, and I’m not sure I ever touched the actual brakes going down. The transmission started to warm up when we got above 10k ft so I slowed down from 60 to 45 for the last couple miles and had no issues. Your 6.7 will likely also have enough power to accelerate at any point on that route, and to hold the load back going down. .
    2022 Transcend Xplor 240ML
    2019 Imagine XLS 17MKE (sold 8/22)
    2017 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0 Fx4
    Blue Ox WDH

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealth13777 View Post
    I agree with others that I doubt your suspension (and possibly axle) is rated for that load. My only concern would be axle because those get hot pulling mountains - you want to be under the axle load rating. If you’re under GVWR and payload, you’re likely under axle too. It’s GCWR that plays into towing rating - a different set of numbers. I digress. .
    Normally, the order of progression for overload is this. Normally, you will reach the payload capacity first. Once you go over the payload capacity, the truck is automatically over the GVWR. The next in line if someone keeps adding more weight is the RAWR. Once that reaches overloaded weight, then it's usually the tires that will be over the Tire load capacity rating. Obviously, I'm talking about OEM tires and or tires that have the same load capacity rating as the OEM tires
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moved to Campgrounds, Destinations and RV Trip Planning.

As others have said, the loaded pin weight on that trailer will be around 3,850 lbs. - way too much for a 3/4-ton truck. Have you had your setup across the scales with and without the trailer (loaded, of course) to determine what your actual pin weight is?

Rob

EDIT: I would highly recommend purchasing and downloading a copy of The Mountain Directory and check all your routes very carefully.

https://mountaindirectory.com/
    Last edited by Second Chance; 10-11-2022 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Add link
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Moved to Campgrounds, Destinations and RV Trip Planning.

As others have said, the loaded pin weight on that trailer will be around 3,850 lbs. - way too much for a 3/4-ton truck. Have you had your setup across the scales with and without the trailer (loaded, of course) to determine what your actual pin weight is?

Rob

EDIT: I would highly recommend purchasing and downloading a copy of The Mountain Directory and check all your routes very carefully.

https://mountaindirectory.com/
    I'll second the suggestion for the Mountain Directory. I bought the western area last year before we headed out west for our trip. Very good info about locations of and a description of steep grades.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the help!
    Michelle
    I was going to suggest Hwy 50 from Pueblo over to Grand Junction. But then you will deal with Monarch Pass - also 11,000 ft.

There is probably no good way without going wayyyyyy out of your way.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just drove that route last weekend and I have many time with both a Dodge 2500 6.7 Cummins pulling a 35' KZ 5th wheel and with my Ford F450 pulling my 349M.

As others have said, you should be fine climbing. If you have an EGT gauge, I'd keep an eye on it.

When I do that route, going up is no big deal. It's the downgrades that will test your exhaust brake so make sure it's working well.
    You'll be able to test it first on the descent past Floyd Hill. The real test will be after the Eisenhauer Tunnel into Silverthorne.

If you handle that ok, then the descent into Vail should be ok. Just watch for the right hand decreasing radius corner near 39.578392, -106.249427 as they have construction going on in that area right now.
    signature

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast