User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nails coming through the floor in bedroom

Had to cut the linoleum in the bedroom because a nail was coming through the linoleum. I was surprised to see a 1” nail coming up our of the plywood instead of a screw. I had to remove the nail, put glue in the nail hole, counter sink the nail, and then glue on top of the nail. Hopefully I have fixed the problem. Question: Why does Grand Design use 1” nails to attach the plywood floor sheeting? As rough as these interstate highways are, nails are going to pop right out of the plywood. Also, we have a bad squeak in the floor in the bedroom when we walk on it (near the door).

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to the forum!
    What year and model from you have? Screws would be a nice construction addition but I'm guessing the choice is cost and weight driven. Squeaks happen but usually in the bathrooms. You could have it looked at to verify it's not a crossmember problem. Most likely, unfortunately you'll have to live with it or fix it.

Welcome to the forum!
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Windover View Post
    Had to cut the linoleum in the bedroom because a nail was coming through the linoleum. I was surprised to see a 1” nail coming up our of the plywood instead of a screw. I had to remove the nail, put glue in the nail hole, counter sink the nail, and then glue on top of the nail. Hopefully I have fixed the problem. Question: Why does Grand Design use 1” nails to attach the plywood floor sheeting? As rough as these interstate highways are, nails are going to pop right out of the plywood. Also, we have a bad squeak in the floor in the bedroom when we walk on it (near the door).
    WE had a screw (nail) coming up through the bedroom floor too and we have the squeaks in the bedroom and worse in the bathroom. I would have thought the floors would have been screwed down too but if they are only using nails that explains a lot. Dealer told me that the squeaks are normal and due to construction methods per Grand Design. If they are nails and not screws that explains it and is very disappointing for the money you pay for these things and the fact that many travel down the road on a regular basis. Even my sticks and bricks with only nails squeaked until I put screws in when changing the flooring. You might try shimming underneath if you can get to the area. That is what I am planning on trying.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the discussion. I appreciate hearing from others with similar experiences.

To answer your question, we have a 2022 351M Momentum. We very much enjoy the RV and the floor plan suits us to a “T”. We have not had any construction issues with our 351M, other than the floor issues. We are happy with our Grand Design RV!