User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brake Shoes worn out in 6K Miles

I decided to repack the bearings on my 2021 Solitude. When I took apart the wheels I found the front right and the rear left brake shoes completely worn out and the drums were scored up. I replaced all 4 brake assembles and I am waiting for two new drums.
    I am wondering if I have the brake controller set wrong in my Ford F250. I have it set to heavy electric and 8. I have about 6K miles on the trailer that I bought new. All of the bearings were fine, but the new drums come with bearings greased and ready to go from etrailer.
    Mal & Helen
    With Mitzi our Yorkie
    2021 Solitude 310GK-R
    2020 Reflection 303RLS Sold
    2020 Ford F250 Lariat Super Duty 4WD 6.7 Diesel Short Bed
    B&W Companion Slider
    Amateur Radio Call sign WA2TWA

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would check.the amp draw on the magnets. If only one was metal to metal on each side, the others weren't doing their job.
    2021 Imagine 2670MK
    2021 F250, 7.3 with a 10 speed transmission
    Armor All on the tires, color coordinated floor mats.

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think it's the controller or setting - all four brakes would have been the same. Besides the magnets, there could have also been an adjustment issue.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    I don't think it's the controller or setting - all four brakes would have been the same. Besides the magnets, there could have also been an adjustment issue.

Rob
    This was from new, so maybe the breaks were not adjusted at the factory. One set of breaks was fine so I saved them. Another set was kind of worn and I didn't like the looks of the magnet, so I through it out. These were Dexter never-adjust brakes. Anyway I replaced all 4 brake assemblies with Lippert brake assys., which were half the price of Dexter, and 2 Chinese drums from etrailer.
    Mal & Helen
    With Mitzi our Yorkie
    2021 Solitude 310GK-R
    2020 Reflection 303RLS Sold
    2020 Ford F250 Lariat Super Duty 4WD 6.7 Diesel Short Bed
    B&W Companion Slider
    Amateur Radio Call sign WA2TWA

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just had service done on brakes & wheels. The cost for bearing inspection, repack, & brake check was a very reasonable $350 at the local dealer.
    2 years old and about 8000 miles on the rig, one brake drum was trashed - shoes came loose and chewed up the inner assembly. A couple of the others needed new shoes already. The service tech said it's not unheard of, as heavy as the big rigs are, running on old tech drum brakes. After all the stories here on the forum, I knew I had to get everything inspected.
    I'm gonna call Lippert and see how they feel about warrantying some 2-year old brakes!
    Last edited by JM0397; 03-09-2023 at 02:58 PM.
    Colin & Tracy
    '21 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ/Z71/SRW, Long bed, Anderson UH
    '21 Solitude 310 GK-R

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had the brakes/bearings been serviced previously?
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Had the brakes/bearings been serviced previously?
    No, first time. We only put maybe 4k miles on the rig 1st year, so I waited until this winter for the service check. Definitely will go with yearly now, regardless how many miles each year.
    Colin & Tracy
    '21 Solitude 310 GK-R

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know about yearly, but an initial check of bearings and brakes when first taking possession is a great idea. No matter whether it's used or new. Some of the assembly practices leave a lot to be desired, as you've discovered.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Malco1 View Post
    I decided to repack the bearings on my 2021 Solitude. When I took apart the wheels I found the front right and the rear left brake shoes completely worn out and the drums were scored up. I replaced all 4 brake assembles and I am waiting for two new drums.
    I am wondering if I have the brake controller set wrong in my Ford F250. I have it set to heavy electric and 8. I have about 6K miles on the trailer that I bought new. All of the bearings were fine, but the new drums come with bearings greased and ready to go from etrailer.
    One tell tale sign is the surface where the magnet contacts the drum. The wear pattern should be the same on all four drums. If not, look for electrical issues. I have a habit of walking around the trailer every time we stop for fuel or food and touch the center hub of the wheel. They should be warm but not hot. My previous 5th wheel had a tendency to lock one brake up after hard breaking - turned out to be a problem with the magnet.
    2022 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.7 Cummins, RamBox, Air Lift 5000 Ultimate Plus, B&W Companion
    2022 Reflection 303RLS, Progressive hardwired EMS, Airborne Sidewinder
    YouTube Chanel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    I don't know about yearly, but an initial check of bearings and brakes when first taking possession is a great idea. No matter whether it's used or new. Some of the assembly practices leave a lot to be desired, as you've discovered.
    Yep, 1st time rookie mistake. I knew I should have brought it in for service after a few months, but rolled the dice instead. However, could have been far worse on the road so alls we’ll that ends well, even if I’m out $900 for the time being.
    Colin & Tracy
    '21 Solitude 310 GK-R

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast