User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Countertop Delamination

We have a 2021 Imagine 22RBE. I've noticed the edge of the kitchen counter (not near the sink) is starting to peel up. Its the plastic covering over the MDF board that the countertop is made of. The MDF underneath is smooth and not swollen. There are no cracks or bubbles in the countertop. Only problem is the rounded edge is peeling up from the bottom.
    It looks like it could be glued back down, but I don't know what to use to do that. I doubt this would be covered under the GD warrantee.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Frank & Nadine
    2023 Imagine XLS 17MKE
    2021 Ford F‑150 XLT 3.5L V6 Hybrid 4WD SuperCrew Cab Factory Max tow package

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used contact cement with success for this. If it's a really small area and I can't get to it with a brush (as happened with a small spot around the sink in our bathroom), I'll use Super Glue and hold it until it will stay in place by itself. Both surfaces, of course, have to be clean and dry with either adhesive.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    I've used contact cement with success for this. If it's a really small area and I can't get to it with a brush (as happened with a small spot around the sink in our bathroom), I'll use Super Glue and hold it until it will stay in place by itself. Both surfaces, of course, have to be clean and dry with either adhesive.

Rob
    Thanks. I was thinking of using contact cement made for formica tops but wasn't sure if it would work. Did the superglue stick to the plastic?
    Frank & Nadine
    2023 Imagine XLS 17MKE

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FL-Guy View Post
    Thanks. I was thinking of using contact cement made for formica tops but wasn't sure if it would work. Did the superglue stick to the plastic?
    The underside of our bathroom countertop covering is not a smooth plastic - it's some sort of textured, almost textile-feeling surface. However, Super Glue will stick to anything.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those tops are somewhat prone to delamination. So GD replaced two for me in year one. Unfortunately, the new ones both developed the same issue.

I used Super Glue in the bathroom and decided to do epoxy on the coffee bar edges after the same issue. So, as a preventative, I did the epoxy around the bottom edges and used some fine sandpaper to smooth the inherent drips. Very happy with the result.
    Ex-Nihilo
    2022 2970RL (Fabricated 1/4 Inch Bumper w/ RV Generator Boxes)
    1200AH Lithium, 1000w Solar w/ Victron Multi-Plus II
    5.5K Axles- EOH Disc Brakes- Hensley Arrow
    Road Master Slipper Springs
    2021 RAM Longhorn 2500 Cummins 6.7
    Chattanooga TN

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, I decided to use Clear Gorilla Glue for the repair. The very edge of the laminate was lifting in several areas no more than 1/2 inch from the lip so spray adhesive and contact cement were not really an option for my job because of the small space between the laminate and the underlying board. One part of the edge delamination was about 8 or 9" long and another spot about 5".
    Glue instructions said best to apply a small amount of water to one of the surfaces to help the glue activate. After making sure the laminate would lay flat against the MDF, I sprayed a small amount of water between the laminate and MDF. I used a small brush (acid brush used to put on solder flux) and brushed the glue between the lip of the paper thin laminate and the MDF board underneath. I then used painters tape pulled tightly over the edge and wrapped it under the lip of the counter to hold the laminate in place while the glue dried.
    Next morning tape off and perfectly secure laminate. No bulging or peeling from the edges.

As a side note make sure the edge of your undermount sink (if you have one) is caulked all the way around to prevent water from getting under the laminate. We looked a GD 17MLE that didn't have any caulking and the laminate was peeling all the way around the sink. Next step would be swelling of the countertop board. Use some clear silicon if it's not already there.
    Frank & Nadine
    2023 Imagine XLS 17MKE

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FL-Guy View Post
    As a side note make sure the edge of your undermount sink (if you have one) is caulked all the way around to prevent water from getting under the laminate. We looked a GD 17MLE that didn't have any caulking and the laminate was peeling all the way around the sink. Next step would be swelling of the countertop board. Use some clear silicon if it's not already there.
    Yup, it already happened to me. I'm going to order a drop in sink from etrailer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220702_190356690.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	43499Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220702_190418603.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	43500Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220702_191258995.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	43501Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Sink.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	43502
    Mike & (RIP Karen)
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2011 Toyota Tundra 5.7 RW, Tow Package
    Husky Centerline WDH
    Champion 2500DF, Prodigy P2

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 2021 2600RB with the same kitchen sink delamination issue. Tried gorilla glue and then caulking but this did not work. Now the top edge is cracking. We are out of warrranty. Does Grand Design recognize and cover this issue after the one year warranty. Did the drop in sink referenced correct the issue and if so can you send details of ordering this sink. Thanks. Richard Shore

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Shore View Post
    We have a 2021 2600RB with the same kitchen sink delamination issue. Tried gorilla glue and then caulking but this did not work. Now the top edge is cracking. We are out of warrranty. Does Grand Design recognize and cover this issue after the one year warranty. Did the drop in sink referenced correct the issue and if so can you send details of ordering this sink. Thanks. Richard Shore
    Wow, this sounds familiar. I ordered this sink from etrailer. I have not installed it yet.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Sink.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	45018
    Mike & (RIP Karen)
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2011 Toyota Tundra 5.7 RW, Tow Package
    Husky Centerline WDH
    Champion 2500DF, Prodigy P2

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I try to enlarge the photo of the sink you ordered I can’t read the detail. Model # and size please. I think it is 25” x 15”? Also do you know if this fits in the opening without cutting as the sink opening on the 2600RB is 23.5” x 13.5”. Thanks. Richard

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast