User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Capacity Advice

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bricknhank View Post
    Same truck but apparently we have a few difference’s in capacity. Going to the CAT Scale was very beneficial to assist in our fifth wheel selection decision. We are still pondering though.
    Attachment 43495
    Attachment 43496
    Quote Originally Posted by Fivecodys View Post
    It would be interesting to see why you have so much more capacity than I do. I need a better sticker I guess

Attachment 43498

Maybe it's a change on the later models. If I had 3200 lbs we would have purchased the 303 for sure!
    here is another data point for you.

We have a 2020 Reflection 303RLS. Six different CAT Scale measurements by various forum members are posted here:
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...-Weight-Survey

The typical pin weight is about 2100 lbs. The absolute highest is 2400 lbs.

We just purchased a 2023 Silverado 2500 HD (Crew cab standard bed, Duramax, 4x4, SRW ). When shopping I was pleasantly surprised by the stickered load ratings:
    GVWR 11350 lbs
    CURB Weight 8241 lbs
    Max Payload 3109 Lbs (about 100 lbs less than your truck!)

Then I learned that GM includes a full tank of fuel in the curb weight ( I had thought it was weighed w/o fuel.)

Thus the numbers towing a 303RLS with a new Silverado 2500 HD diesel look quite good, A 150 Series ought to be less.
    A typical payload on one of our trips might be
    2100 pin weight (assumed from above) + 2 adults (400 lbs) + hitch (100-200 lbs) + snacks, binoculars, misc (100 lbs)
    total is 2700-2800 lbs
    we have 300 lbs to spare for that unlikely event that the pin weight goes up, or we have another passenger.

We developed a rather strict put-everything-in-the-trailer policy when towing with an older F250 diesel and its 1900 lb payload capacity. BTW, that old F250 did a great job towing the 303RLS all over the Rocky Mountains.
    2020 Reflection 303RLS "Betty Roy"
    2023 Silverado 2500 HD, 6.6L Duramax " "
    1955 Ford F-100 "Nellie"
    2017 Great Dane mix "Nibbler", 2018 English Lab "Hamilton"

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now you have me thinking

Quote Originally Posted by AllenV View Post
    here is another data point for you.

We have a 2020 Reflection 303RLS. Six different CAT Scale measurements by various forum members are posted here:
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...-Weight-Survey

The typical pin weight is about 2100 lbs. The absolute highest is 2400 lbs.

We just purchased a 2023 Silverado 2500 HD (Crew cab standard bed, Duramax, 4x4, SRW ). When shopping I was pleasantly surprised by the stickered load ratings:
    GVWR 11350 lbs
    CURB Weight 8241 lbs
    Max Payload 3109 Lbs (about 100 lbs less than your truck!)

Then I learned that GM includes a full tank of fuel in the curb weight ( I had thought it was weighed w/o fuel.)

Thus the numbers towing a 303RLS with a new Silverado 2500 HD diesel look quite good, A 150 Series ought to be less.
    A typical payload on one of our trips might be
    2100 pin weight (assumed from above) + 2 adults (400 lbs) + hitch (100-200 lbs) + snacks, binoculars, misc (100 lbs)
    total is 2700-2800 lbs
    we have 300 lbs to spare for that unlikely event that the pin weight goes up, or we have another passenger.

We developed a rather strict put-everything-in-the-trailer policy when towing with an older F250 diesel and its 1900 lb payload capacity. BTW, that old F250 did a great job towing the 303RLS all over the Rocky Mountains.
    Nice post. After reading this maybe I’m being too conservative with my fifth wheel search. I’ve been trying to stay around 10K gross with one of the smaller Reflection 150’s because I didn’t want to be borderline and have to worry, nitpick and be selective about every little thing that we want to bring with and pack. Although it is just the two of us, we don’t need that much space but by limiting ourselves to one of the lighter Reflection 150’s we are cheating ourselves out of a fireplace and a kitchen island.
    Have you towed your 303 RLS with your new Silverado yet?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice post. After reading this maybe I’m being too conservative with my fifth wheel search. I’ve been trying to stay around 10K gross with one of the smaller Reflection 150’s because I didn’t want to be borderline and have to worry, nitpick and be selective about every little thing that we want to bring with and pack. Although it is just the two of us, we don’t need that much space but by limiting ourselves to one of the lighter Reflection 150’s we are cheating ourselves out of a fireplace and a kitchen island.
    Have you towed your 303 RLS with your new Silverado yet?
    We not yet towed with the new truck. I'll be ordering a hitch soon. There are a few other members who have told me they are towing a 303 with 2020+ 2500 HD. Maybe one of them will respond here.

We really enjoy the electric fireplace. In cool but not cold weather the electric fire does all the heating. Usually in the morning before my wife rises.
    2020 Reflection 303RLS "Betty Roy"
    2023 Silverado 2500 HD, 6.6L Duramax " "
    1955 Ford F-100 "Nellie"
    2017 Great Dane mix "Nibbler", 2018 English Lab "Hamilton"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I completely understand that the diesel and 4WD components take away from the payload.
    I set up a CatScale account. I’ll load it up and go weigh it.
    I didn't pay attention when we traveled other western states, but do many states have their Dept. of Transportation highway check station scales available for the general public use? In Oregon most of the commercial vehicle weight check scales are available 24/7 to weigh your load. Most all weigh stations have a digital reader board lit up reading "0000". Pull truck onto platform, read truck weight, pull trailer on platform, read weight......When they are closed, you can unhook trailer to get tongue weight. I've even unloaded and weighed horses. They weigh in 50 lb. increments but very handy. A lot of them seem to only be open for commercial truck weight checks a day or two a week, if that.
    2007 Ram 5.9 CTD 4x4 LB
    2019 Imagine 2500RL

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jlk111 View Post
    I didn't pay attention when we traveled other western states, but do many states have their Dept. of Transportation highway check station scales available for the general public use? In Oregon most of the commercial vehicle weight check scales are available 24/7 to weigh your load. Most all weigh stations have a digital reader board lit up reading "0000". Pull truck onto platform, read truck weight, pull trailer on platform, read weight......When they are closed, you can unhook trailer to get tongue weight. I've even unloaded and weighed horses. They weigh in 50 lb. increments but very handy. A lot of them seem to only be open for commercial truck weight checks a day or two a week, if that.
    As far as I know nothing like that exists in Illinois. Large tractor/trailers have to get weighed of course. I can’t imagine the weigh stations being available for private usage after hours. It would be nice though. I don’t think that the large trucks even have to stop or even slow down now. I think that there may be sensors in the pavement and they automatically read the weight of the commercial vehicles.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jlk111 View Post
    In most states, you'll get a dirty look if you pull in while they're open - the weigh stations are for commercial traffic only.

Rob
    Last edited by Second Chance; 10-23-2022 at 02:43 PM.
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And going in is a good way to get the DOT up in your chili for no reason.

Seriously. Go to a CAT or similar scale.
    2019 GD Momentum 397TH
    Considering a 395
    99 Ford F-250, 7.3, 6-speed.
    22 Ford F-450
    Former Fulltimers, now just using toy hauler to go to Motocross Races and Mountain Bike parks.
    Va Beach, VA

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CX500T View Post
    ⬆️⬆️⬆️
    Haha. I never heard that expression before!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CX500T View Post

Seriously. Go to a CAT or similar scale.
    I never go into one when open. They are seldom open on highways. Freeways are more often found open. The nearest Cat scales is over 100 miles from my house. The DOT scales is about 4 miles away. There are some farm scales available to hay haulers if you belong to the scales assn, but I will keep weighing for free at the DOT one. I almost always cross it on my trip beginning to get a combined weight out of curiosity. I tow a 2500RL with a 1-ton pickup, lots of wiggle room. Cat scales appear to be far more common east of the Mississippi.
    2007 Ram 5.9 CTD 4x4 LB
    2019 Imagine 2500RL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah. Don't do that pretty much anywhere east of the Mississippi for sure, and most places east of the rockies.

Had a friend pull into one in Virginia.. Spent next three hours proving he was not hauling the RV for hire, he didn't need a CDL, no medical etc.

No ticket, but a max harassment for sure.
    2019 GD Momentum 397TH
    Considering a 395
    99 Ford F-250, 7.3, 6-speed.
    22 Ford F-450
    Former Fulltimers, now just using toy hauler to go to Motocross Races and Mountain Bike parks.
    Va Beach, VA

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast