Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I do not have a ford, I will say the Bilstein 5100 series is a very good shock for heavy duty trucks. IMO, much better than oem.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I replaced my factory shocks at 20k with Bilstein 5100's from Shock Surplus. The factory ones were shot then. I'm at 51k now and the Bilsteins are fading fast. I'll likely replace with same thing at the price they are hard to beat unless I go back to Fox 2.0's, Fox or King with reservoirs. With the shape our roads are in and towing the Solitudes our shocks take a beating. Big jump in price from Bilsteins but my hope is they would last longer. My 450 is my DD and I use it to tow other trailers in addition to our solitude.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RVingwithJessandChris View Post
    I replaced my factory shocks at 20k with Bilstein 5100's from Shock Surplus. The factory ones were shot then. I'm at 51k now and the Bilsteins are fading fast. I'll likely replace with same thing at the price they are hard to beat unless I go back to Fox 2.0's, Fox or King with reservoirs. With the shape our roads are in and towing the Solitudes our shocks take a beating. Big jump in price from Bilsteins but my hope is they would last longer. My 450 is my DD and I use it to tow other trailers in addition to our solitude.
    Thanks for that info… I am trying to find the Bilstein 4600’s for my 2020 F450, and no one has them. They are back ordered, but expected to be in stock on 11/6, so I will likely go that route. I tried to get the 5100’s but struggled to get a part # that was ok for my truck since it is not lifted at all. Maybe I am just an idiot in searching for the 5100’s… I assumed the exterior of the 5100’s would hold up to the weather better than the painted 4600’s but again I could not find them. I will keep looking and send a note to Bilstein cause maybe again I am just stupid.
    I have 38K on my 450, and the ride is ok, but I think they need replacing. I tow a 40 foot horse trailer too and a car hauler, so most of my miles are pulling miles but not all heavy…. My 2nd set of tires are wearing MUCH better than the first set so…

Thanks for your info again.
    2023 Momentum 397TH w/Gen3 Goosebox
    2020 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 F-450 Limited PowerStroke

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I completely understand. There is a 450 Facebook group that has amazing info. That’s how I found the bilsteins. Bilstein hasn’t updated their specs so it will show these won’t fit a 450 but they do. One of the struggles with a 450 is finding parts when those companies don’t know much about the 450.
    Here’s the link:
    https://www.shocksurplus.com/product...x2q-lNdFO2djZA

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I completely understand. There is a 450 Facebook group that has amazing info. That’s how I found the bilsteins. Bilstein hasn’t updated their specs so it will show these won’t fit a 450 but they do. One of the struggles with a 450 is finding parts when those companies don’t know much about the 450.
    Here’s the link:
    https://www.shocksurplus.com/product...x2q-lNdFO2djZA
    Thank you for the part # link. Can someone comment on the actual difference of the 4600’s and 5100’s? Everything I have seen is that 5100 is coated differently on the exterior, and for lifted trucks. I put 4600’s on my 2020 Sierra Denali, and they were great, I just didn’t like the colors (LOL), but i got over it…

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by msutoad View Post
    Thank you for the part # link. Can someone comment on the actual difference of the 4600’s and 5100’s? Everything I have seen is that 5100 is coated differently on the exterior, and for lifted trucks. I put 4600’s on my 2020 Sierra Denali, and they were great, I just didn’t like the colors (LOL), but i got over it…
    The 5100’s are not as soft as the 4600’s and in my opinion will be better suited for towing heavy. Not as good unloaded ride for sure but it’s a 450.
    My truck is stock height. No issue with the 5100’s fitment. The 5100’s are coated differently.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 5100’s are not as soft as the 4600’s and in my opinion will be better suited for towing heavy. Not as good unloaded ride for sure but it’s a 450.
    My truck is stock height. No issue with the 5100’s fitment. The 5100’s are coated differently.
    Thanks for the info. I’m towing a 44foot Momentum so it has some pounds …

What year is your 450? So you think the 5100s are better when loaded, but the 4600’s are better for unloaded? I tow ALOT on I-95 on the east coast and that road may as well be Dirt and rocks LOL

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info. I’m towing a 44foot Momentum so it has some pounds …

What year is your 450? So you think the 5100s are better when loaded, but the 4600’s are better for unloaded? I tow ALOT on I-95 on the east coast and that road may as well be Dirt and rocks LOL
    21 450. I have never run the 4600’s but that seems to be what most report.
    Our roads are awful most places across the US. Our Solitude weighs over 18k as well. It has really worked the shocks over which is why I’m considering going with a reservoir style next. But they are significantly more money.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    21 450. I have never run the 4600’s but that seems to be what most report.
    Our roads are awful most places across the US. Our Solitude weighs over 18k as well. It has really worked the shocks over which is why I’m considering going with a reservoir style next. But they are significantly more money.
    OK, I’m sold, I will get the part # you sent for the 5100’s, THANK YOU!!!

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, I’m sold, I will get the part # you sent for the 5100’s, THANK YOU!!!
    I believe you will be happy with the 5100 series shocks.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast