User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Freeze warning & belly heaters question

We have temps expected low around 30 next week. We're scheduled to take one more trip in about a month so I don't want to winterize yet.
    I have the rig parked at home with 50amp service.
    All tanks drained, but about 5gal in the black tank per usual.

I could of course turn the heat on and set it for 40 degrees or something very low, but would rather not let it run when I'm not in the rig.

Question about the tank/belly heaters: if they are mostly empty, is there any danger of heat elements overheating?
    IE, how do those tank heaters function? I assume some sort of not-very-warm heat strip, or else you could melt the plastic tanks, correct?

I'm assuming if there's no danger of overheating, then leaving the tank warmers on will give me just enough heat. Obviously, I wouldn't try this if we have a freeze danger - high temps will be back in the 50s during the day.

Otherwise, what do any of the rest of you do in this situation? (other than drive south!)

Thanks!
    Colin & Tracy
    '21 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ/Z71/SRW, Long bed, Anderson UH
    '21 Solitude 310 GK-R

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JM0397 View Post
    We have temps expected low around 30 next week. We're scheduled to take one more trip in about a month so I don't want to winterize yet.
    I have the rig parked at home with 50amp service.
    All tanks drained, but about 5gal in the black tank per usual.

I could of course turn the heat on and set it for 40 degrees or something very low, but would rather not let it run when I'm not in the rig.

Question about the tank/belly heaters: if they are mostly empty, is there any danger of heat elements overheating?
    IE, how do those tank heaters function? I assume some sort of not-very-warm heat strip, or else you could melt the plastic tanks, correct?

I'm assuming if there's no danger of overheating, then leaving the tank warmers on will give me just enough heat. Obviously, I wouldn't try this if we have a freeze danger - high temps will be back in the 50s during the day.

Otherwise, what do any of the rest of you do in this situation? (other than drive south!)

Thanks!
    The tank heaters are basically large heating pads. They are controlled by a built-in thermostat that turns them on when it reaches a certain temperature at the built-in thermostat. They won't (shouldn't) "burn up" if they are on for an empty tank.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    The tank heaters are basically large heating pads. They are controlled by a built-in thermostat that turns them on when it reaches a certain temperature at the built-in thermostat. They won't (shouldn't) "burn up" if they are on for an empty tank.
    Thanks, Mark!
    I'll give it a try this weekend and see if they really change the temps much. I doubt it'll be cold enough to freeze anything, but no sense risking it when I have power & can run the heat if necessary.
    Colin & Tracy
    '21 Solitude 310 GK-R

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Freeze warning & belly heaters question

Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    This is absolutely correct, even if you turn them on in 100 degree weather with empty tanks no harm, the thermostat will keep them from turning on until the on set temp is reached. Once the off set is reached they turn off. It is heating up the plastic, so even if empty, no harm. You are good to run them.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My .02. Run the furnace. Your tanks are not easy to freeze but valves and pipes much more so. When I am in this situation, I run the furnace set at 55 degrees. I also run the water heater too. Never had anything freeze.
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With 5 gallons in the tank(s) they will have enough room to expand IF they freeze. Low 30s with the lines & WH drained, I usually will blow out the lines with air & call it good.
    I missed low temps, (down to 29-30*) a couple of times and had no problems with tanks or lines (Lines drained, 5 gal in black tank).
    Your mileage may vary... especially if temps don't warm up during the day
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you considered a bilge heater? They start heating at 35 degrees and turn off at 40. All you do is plug it in and the "bilge"stays warm, no need to run the furnace.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundsailor View Post
    Have you considered a bilge heater? They start heating at 35 degrees and turn off at 40. All you do is plug it in and the "bilge"stays warm, no need to run the furnace.
    Good idea, looks like you could mount it near your furnace, hook the underbelly duct to it, run it to a switched outlet and run when needed. If it only works on auto temp like you mentioned, might have to think of a different mounting spot.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We routinely leave the furnace set to 45 deg. when we're away. Did that for the whole month of February this year in New Mexico (temps got into the mid teens) while we were out of the country. My BIL kept an eye on things and only switched out one tank. We'll do that again next week when we leave for a week to clear out or storage unit in South Carolina. There's no need to even worry about the tank heaters - especially if the tanks are empty or completely full. They're not really needed with the temps you're expecting, but the pads won't overheat and it takes a long time at low temps to bring a full tank of fresh water down to freezing. Our 2016 Reflection 337 didn't have tank heaters, wasn't as well insulated as our Solitude, and endured long stretches of lows in the lower 20s and upper teens with the daytime highs not getting above freezing... oh, and 40 MPH winds. The tanks never froze - but the water lines to the kitchen island did (I remedied that after the first time). We've wintered in northern Maryland and New Mexico in the Solitude and have had zero freezing issues just using the furnace.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good points and ideas here, thanks for the input everyone.
    Kept the belly heaters on last night as a trial, but then clouds moved in and it never got below 34 early this AM.
    I think I'll just set the furnace to as low as I can if all else fails. There's a TSC just 10 minutes from home, so propane refill isn't a worry.
    Colin & Tracy
    '21 Solitude 310 GK-R