User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Roof Membrane Issues

The metal cap pulled out of the plywood on the front of the roof and the membrane was pulled off the CDX and is now ripped up in the front of my 2019 Solitude 310GK. 3 months to get a response from Manufacturer and they said I didn’t do my roof maintenance properly and told me to have a nice day. Some repair shops told me they are seeing this and think it’s wind coming up through the kingpin. Anybody else have this issue?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear that. We have not lost our roof yet, I caught it in time to tape it down to finish this season. When I contacted Grand Design about the roof membrane coming loose with only 2 1/2 years in service, they rejected my warranty/goodwill claim due to expired warranty. It may be as you say, wind coming up from the kingpin, but it is happening to travel trailers as well. Since my termination strip is still intact, I believe the problem has to do with the original installation. Either the substrate was installed upside down causing a bonding failure or just an overall adhesive failure. A third possibility is the Bernoulli effect, causing a low pressure suction action on the TPO material itself.
    Frank & Jolynn Martin
    Litchfield, MN
    Mabel & Bailey, Golden Retriever Fur Kids
    2019 RAM 3500 CTD, CC, LB, B&W Turnover Ball, AirLift 5000 Bags
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 4440# CCC, Reese 20K GooseBox, 8K EOH Disc brakes, RV Airflow, SoftStartRV, 2-206AH SOK batteries, Victron Multiplus II, Victron 30A DC2DC,790W of Solar, Flex Armor Roof, Blu Tech Water Filtration, BlazeCut Fire Suppression

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fmartinmn View Post
    Sorry to hear that. We have not lost our roof yet, I caught it in time to tape it down to finish this season. When I contacted Grand Design about the roof membrane coming loose with only 2 1/2 years in service, they rejected my warranty/goodwill claim due to expired warranty. It may be as you say, wind coming up from the kingpin, but it is happening to travel trailers as well. Since my termination strip is still intact, I believe the problem has to do with the original installation. Either the substrate was installed upside down causing a bonding failure or just an overall adhesive failure. A third possibility is the Bernoulli effect, causing a low pressure suction action on the TPO material itself.

My 2021 310gk was 16 months old when I discovered the first 1/3 of the rv roof was all puffed up while going down the road. Contacted GD and naturally the roof material did not fail, it was poor workmanship. The trim piece across the top on the front had allowed air to get under the roof material and they denied the claim since the roof material did not fail. I went back and forth with them but I could see where this was going and we were meeting a group of people in Colorado in August and I had one month to solve this problem.
    2021 GD solitude 310GK. Cooper roadmaster tires 17.5” w/ washer/dryer. Carry Honda 2200 for those emergencies. 2019 F250 Platinum longbed 6.7L,w/ ultimate tow pkg and airbags, 3.55 gear ratio, 48 gal.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gfbaab View Post
    My 2021 310gk was 16 months old when I discovered the first 1/3 of the rv roof was all puffed up while going down the road. Contacted GD and naturally the roof material did not fail, it was poor workmanship. The trim piece across the top on the front had allowed air to get under the roof material and they denied the claim since the roof material did not fail. I went back and forth with them but I could see where this was going and we were meeting a group of people in Colorado in August and I had one month to solve this problem.
    How did you solve it?
    Frank & Jolynn Martin
    Litchfield, MN
    Mabel & Bailey, Golden Retriever Fur Kids
    2019 RAM 3500 CTD, CC, LB, B&W Turnover Ball, AirLift 5000 Bags
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 4440# CCC, Reese 20K GooseBox, 8K EOH Disc brakes, RV Airflow, SoftStartRV, 2-206AH SOK batteries, Victron Multiplus II, Victron 30A DC2DC,790W of Solar, Flex Armor Roof, Blu Tech Water Filtration, BlazeCut Fire Suppression

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fmartinmn View Post
    How did you solve it?

I paid the dealership for a new roof. I was up against a planned event where we were meeting 4 couples in Estes Park Colorado in 2 weeks, so I did not have the time to fight it. It was not enough $ spend the time and aggravation to fight it.
    2021 GD solitude 310GK. Cooper roadmaster tires 17.5” w/ washer/dryer. Carry Honda 2200 for those emergencies. 2019 F250 Platinum longbed 6.7L,w/ ultimate tow pkg and airbags, 3.55 gear ratio, 48 gal.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gfbaab View Post
    I paid the dealership for a new roof. I was up against a planned event where we were meeting 4 couples in Estes Park Colorado in 2 weeks, so I did not have the time to fight it. It was not enough $ spend the time and aggravation to fight it.
    Curious as to how much it was?
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The dealer that I bought my trailer from would be more than happy to replace my roof at my cost. But, they were four months out in scheduling a time to get it in. I feel like I could possibly have this issue all over again. I am going with Flex or Rv Armor so hopefully don’t have this issue in the future.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronschmidt10 View Post
    The dealer that I bought my trailer from would be more than happy to replace my roof at my cost. But, they were four months out in scheduling a time to get it in. I feel like I could possibly have this issue all over again. I am going with Flex or Rv Armor so hopefully don’t have this issue in the future.
    I hear the costs are very similar to a stock roof compared to the two options you are considering, I would go the same route as you. Have you looked into filing an insurance claim on the roof?
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronschmidt10 View Post
    I would recommend Flex Armor. 3/8 of an inch thick and a transferable, lifetime warranty. It's sprayed on kind of like a spray in bed liner, but much thicker. Everything in the roof is removed, they spray it, then reinstall everything, new vent covers and pipe vents as well. I was honestly shocked at how comparable the price quote was from the one in Florida. It was on par with a dealer replacing the membrane! For me it's a no brainier. I've got bubbles from negative pressure on the front of the roof and will be going to them to get mine done.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven’t as of yet contacted insurance. Scheduled repair for spring time so need to head down that road since repair will be in the $7,000 range.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast