User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt Bob View Post
    Interesting. So will the residential panels, which are used to being mounted on a non-moving object, be unaffected by the road pounding of a moving RV?
    The biggest difference in the panels are the form factor. Different size and shape, and yes, they are less expensive. They are more efficient because of the wattage, usually much higher than an rv panel. 200 or 210 watts will be about the largest wattage rv panel you will find. The panel construction is similar so they do fine with the rv movement, not a problem. I went with an rv panel because of the form factor. It was very easy to lay out on the roof and the panels are only about 26 pounds each. The residential panels can also be heavier, but with less of them it can be a wash. Definitely something worth exploring.

I am happy with my Newpowa, but mileage may vary.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting. So will the residential panels, which are used to being mounted on a non-moving object, be unaffected by the road pounding of a moving RV?
    Because of the constant wind from driving, I installed an extra mount on all my Residential panels, 6 "Z" mounts on each panel. I haven't had any problems.

For what it is worth, I installed 4, 305 Watt, Canadian Solar panels on my 310GK. My cost was around $0.69 per Watt. Here is a picture of my layout:

Note: I mounted one panel (transverse) across the front cap.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Solar Panels Installed (1).jpg  
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Solar Panels finally mounted on roof

Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    Because of the constant wind from driving, I installed an extra mount on all my Residential panels, 6 "Z" mounts on each panel. I haven't had any problems.

For what it is worth, I installed 4, 305 Watt, Canadian Solar panels on my 310GK. My cost was around $0.69 per Watt. Here is a picture of my layout:

Note: I mounted one panel (transverse) across the front cap.
    For your transverse mounted panel how did you compensate for the roof curve. I put a thin set of shims between the panel frame and the bracket.

BTW, your install looks nice and clean!

Bill
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redapple63 View Post
    For your transverse mounted panel how did you compensate for the roof curve. I put a thin set of shims between the panel frame and the bracket.

BTW, your install looks nice and clean!

Bill
    I shimmed up the four outside corners under the brackets using composite shims I bought at Home Depot. I also placed EternaBond tape on top of (and under) the shims before screwing the "Z" brackets down, I used longer screws to reach into the Roof through the shims. I used a level to get the panel level and screwed one side down and then just shimmed the other side to fit.

Note: it did not take very much shimming to compensate for the roof curvature.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    I shimmed up the four outside corners under the brackets using composite shims I bought at Home Depot. I also placed EternaBond tape on top of (and under) the shims before screwing the "Z" brackets down, I used longer screws to reach into the Roof through the shims. I used a level to get the panel level and screwed one side down and then just shimmed the other side to fit.

Note: it did not take very much shimming to compensate for the roof curvature.
    Thank You. I did something similar. Took about 1/4 inch on the outside corners.

Bill
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have six 380w panels on top of our Momentum 320G. They worked fine. As for the Onan Generator issue, remember the Onan provides two 30A hots in the same phase (0 degrees phase). Shore power at parks is typically 180 degrees out of phase across the two hots. The Victron AutoFormer can fix this by converting the output of the Onan to 180 degrees phase. The Multiplus will then recognize the two hot leads.
    Art & Leslie
    Full-Time Since March 2016
    2019 Grand Design Momentum 320G
    2014 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn MegaCab DRW Stretched (8') Bed Cummins HO Powerplant

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Bill,
    What panel mounts did you use? How did you anchor them to your roof? Thank you, Rick

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Rick View Post
    Hi Bill,
    What panel mounts did you use? How did you anchor them to your roof? Thank you, Rick
    Hi Ranger Rick,

I purchased the Newpowa panels and used “Z” brackets to hold them down to the roof with the provided 1.5” stainless self tappers. Used Allpha Systems self leveling lap sealant to lay a bed for the bracket and to cover once installed.

There are all kinds of Z brackets. I have seen others who have used industrial double backed tape to hold rails and bolted the panels to those to prevent drilling. I was not worried about that.

Took me about two hours to install all four panels. I still have to wire them.

I did transverse mount one, and used thin plastic to shim the corners to account for the roof curve.

Bill
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12