User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone towing a 2800bh with a 2021 Tahoe?

Im looking at purchasing a 2800BH. I need to tow it one way from Colorado to Texas to put it on a piece of land my family owns. I will avoid mountain passes to be on the safe side. Is anyone on here towing with a 2021 Tahoe?

I will go on a scale this week to determine my actual vehicle weight. According to my calculations I should have about 470 lbs of payload left over.

Tahoe info from my sticker:
    GVWR 7500
    GCWR 14500
    RGAWR 4300
    CURB WEIGHT 5927
    MAX PAYLOAD 1573
    TOWING CAPACITY 8200
    TONGUE WEIGHT 820

2800 BH INFO FROM STICKER
    GVWR 7495
    GAWR 3500
    UVW 6226
    TONGUE WEIGHT 600

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum. It seems like you are headed the right direction by going to the scale to figure out actual weights. Keep in mind the published tongue weight will be on the low side. 12 - 15% of trailer GVW is a good rule of thumb. Sounds like you will possibly be picking it up empty and then bringing it to its final parking spot, so it really shouldn't be too heavy. Dont forget to account for weight of whatever hitch you get and any passengers, if any. If for some reason the numbers dont work out, since it's a one time move, you could always hire an RV hauler. SUVs typically have a softer suspension than a truck, so that will change the ride somewhat. I think it is do-able, especially with avoiding mountain passes.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If towing empty you could make it work, but you will definitely want a weight distributing hitch. I’m almost certain a hitch is required over 5k lbs. Weight won’t kill you with just you in the truck and nothing in the trailer. The length versus your wheelbase won’t be super comfortable though.

Alternatively, you could rent an F250 (or similar) - I’ve done this through Enterprise - and just drive it to get the trailer and bring it back, especially if it’s a one time thing.
    2022 Transcend Xplor 240ML
    2019 Imagine XLS 17MKE (sold 8/22)
    2017 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0 Fx4
    Blue Ox WDH

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We towed a travel trailer with a GVWR of 1,500 less than the 2800BH with a Tahoe. We had a good WD hitch, but there were situations where it was very uncomfortable (emergency stops, curvy mountain roads, etc.). The transmission would downshift on any kind of a grade and the engine would run at high RPMs. Also, pay no attention to the advertised hitch weight and empty weights. Use the GVWR of the trailer and calculate 12% of that for an estimated loaded hitch weight (in this case, about 1,020 lbs.). Not a good match in my opinion.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015