User Tag List

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Travel Trailer vs Fifth wheel

I am looking for some good input on this. One of the most notable differences when I compared a TT and Fifth Wheel that were about the same layout was the fifth wheel had more storage.

But what are the pros and cons to each? And let's say that I have a truck that is more than capable of pulling each (not a Jeep Grand Cherokee pulling a 30ft TT).
    Upstate NY
    2022 Ford F150 with trailer tow package
    2022 Transcend Xplor 231rk
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by docque View Post
    I am looking for some good input on this. One of the most notable differences when I compared a TT and Fifth Wheel that were about the same layout was the fifth wheel had more storage.

But what are the pros and cons to each? And let's say that I have a truck that is more than capable of pulling each (not a Jeep Grand Cherokee pulling a 30ft TT).
    Fifth wheels are much more stable to tow. No chance of the tail wagging the dog. That is the biggest difference.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    Fifth wheels are much more stable to tow. No chance of the tail wagging the dog. That is the biggest difference.
    Figured that was one of the differences.
    Upstate NY
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Along with more stable, hooking up is easier , faster and way less work. Could even get a minor increase in mileage.
    Between ease of hook up, storage space ( plus CCC) and towability I'd never go back to a TT
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The pros have already been said, but i will reiterate: The 5th wheel tows a LOT better with no sway and a lot less wind drift. They hook up and unhook a lot easier with no equalizer or sway bars nor safety chains to mess with. Not only do they have more storage space, most of the floor plans seem to have more interior space even with the same or less length.

Cons to a 5th wheel would be having a hitch in the back of your truck, if you use your truck as a truck when not camping. They are taller so the height could be an issue if you already have a storage building or trees on your property with low clearance.
    2022 Reflection150 226RK
    2022 F150 Powerboost hybrid with 3.5L Ecoboost

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You lose some of bed space in your PU with a 5th wheel. They are usually much taller than a TT.
    I like that the pin is over the rear axle with a 5er & for reasons stated above.
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will chime in as the happy travel trailer guy.

No steps. Not as high. Hitching up is really quite easy in my opinion, don’t really have issues with sway or in the wind but I’ve never towed a 5 th wheel which is likely more stable.

But for me, no issues towing the TT and It’s very difficult to hit the truck with the trailer when maneuvering. Truck bed with a bedrug and waterproof cover is great storage.

Much less weight on the truck which is great if you have lots of gear and/or people.

Seems like TT are a bit less expensive.

Great to live in America where we are free to
    Choose.
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am liking the responses to this. For us it is floor plans and manufacturer. We looked at some Alliance fifth wheels and just didn't like them. There is a Reflection that we like and of course the Salesman let us look at a 390RK. All I can say is WOW. But we are not wanting massive. So far, the 341RDS is one we are looking at. But I don't want to limit myself to one specific type.

And a Class C is out of the question. I like having the two separated. By that I mean with trailer and truck one can go bad and you can replace.
    Upstate NY
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by docque View Post
    I am liking the responses to this. For us it is floor plans and manufacturer. We looked at some Alliance fifth wheels and just didn't like them. There is a Reflection that we like and of course the Salesman let us look at a 390RK. All I can say is WOW. But we are not wanting massive. So far, the 341RDS is one we are looking at. But I don't want to limit myself to one specific type.

And a Class C is out of the question. I like having the two separated. By that I mean with trailer and truck one can go bad and you can replace.
    The 341RDS could put 3,000 lbs. or more on the pin when loaded (one never goes by the advertised pin weights). You would need to plan trucks accordingly.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two trailers of the same length...a TT and a 5ver. Overall length of truck and trailer will be significantly less with a 5ver. So putting that into real world numbers. My previous T.H. was a 34 1/2' tow behind being pulled by my CrewCab Dually truck with an 8' bed. Overall length was right at 59 1/2' long. My Momentum is listed at 42' 4" which is the center of the pin to the rear of the trailer. The nose to tail length is about 18" more, so right at 44'. Same truck pulling it as was the TT and my overall length is just a shade over 60 1/2' long....probably closer to 61'.

The main disadvantage to a 5ver is that the trailer does not "track" behind the truck as well as a TT does, when turning. So if you aren't careful/mindful of that, it's pretty easy to cut a curb or worse, side swipe an object when turning in. The good news, most of us get accustomed to it pretty quickly.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast