User Tag List

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    The 341RDS could put 3,000 lbs. or more on the pin when loaded (one never goes by the advertised pin weights). You would need to plan trucks accordingly.

Rob
    NOOO!!!! I am going to have to do the truck crap all over again? Time to do some studying... again. Hope the Dealer knows what he is doing this time around.
    Upstate NY
    2022 Ford F150 with trailer tow package
    2022 Transcend Xplor 231rk
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by docque View Post
    NOOO!!!! I am going to have to do the truck crap all over again? Time to do some studying... again. Hope the Dealer knows what he is doing this time around.
    NEVER trust what a dealer tells you about tow vehicle capabilities. Do your own due diligence. Use only GVWRs for the trailers and calculate loaded pin/hitch weights. (23% of trailer's GVWR for fifth wheels). Get numbers for any truck you consider off the door sticker and NOT from the manufacturer's on-line guides. Put those numbers in here:

https://changingears.com/weight-calc...ht-calculator/

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To add to what has already been said, higher ceilings in the 5th and more basement storage but less storage in the truck bed.
    IMO I think after you're over a certain length, maybe over 28 feet, you're best to go 5th. This past summer at a local cg we go with the kids and grand kids, we saw a family with a tt over 30ft maybe even 35ft trying to maneuver in the cg. We all had to give him a hand spotting around trees and tight turns. He managed but it took many tries and a lot of sweating. His setup was extremely long.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NEVER trust what a dealer tells you about tow vehicle capabilities. Do your own due diligence. Use only GVWRs for the trailers and calculate loaded pin/hitch weights. (23% of trailer's GVWR for fifth wheels). Get numbers for any truck you consider off the door sticker and NOT from the manufacturer's on-line guides. Put those numbers in here:

https://changingears.com/weight-calc...ht-calculator/

Rob
    Well, I am looking at getting a 250 because we don't want to go big. But it looks like a 250 won't handle it because its cargo capacity at max is 4260 lbs.
    Upstate NY
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I am looking at getting a 250 because we don't want to go big. But it looks like a 250 won't handle it because its cargo capacity at max is 4260 lbs.
    Other than height f350's are the same physical size as a f250.
    I had my '15 in for a re-flash & I was looking at a '22 f350...it was stupid tall & stock. Don't know why Ford does that
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gronk1 View Post
    Other than height f350's are the same physical size as a f250.
    I had my '15 in for a re-flash & I was looking at a '22 f350...it was stupid tall & stock. Don't know why Ford does that
    Well, if the RV requires a F 350, we won't be getting that RV.
    Upstate NY
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there some sort of magic I am missing. I looked up a VIN for an F 250. It says Fifth Wheel Hitch - Max Tongue Wt. is 4650lbs but yet the F 250 specs say they can get a cargo capacity of up to 4260. What am I missing? I apologize because this is so confusing. Seems like most of the larger fifth wheels we saw this year were pulled by 250s. The big ones of course had 350 and 450s.
    Upstate NY
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there some sort of magic I am missing. I looked up a VIN for an F 250. It says Fifth Wheel Hitch - Max Tongue Wt. is 4650lbs but yet the F 250 specs say they can get a cargo capacity of up to 4260. What am I missing? I apologize because this is so confusing. Seems like most of the larger fifth wheels we saw this year were pulled by 250s. The big ones of course had 350 and 450s.
    Just because you saw it being done doesn't mean it should have been. There are all kinds of miss-matched rigs on the road. And, again, you cannot go by anything you look up on-line; go only by the numbers on the door sticker on the truck. Only the door sticker factors in the exact configuration and options as the truck left the factory (and even that doesn't include dealer or aftermarket add-ons).

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just because you saw it being done doesn't mean it should have been. There are all kinds of miss-matched rigs on the road. And, again, you cannot go by anything you look up on-line; go only by the numbers on the door sticker on the truck. Only the door sticker factors in the exact configuration and options as the truck left the factory (and even that doesn't include dealer or aftermarket add-ons).

Rob
    This.

Plus let’s emphasize again that the numbers you are looking at don’t apply. Do you buy a single cab, long bed, 6.2l gas, 4x2, ZERO option truck? Because unless that’s you (and I have yet to see that truck in an rv park), you won’t be anywhere near that number. Everything that is added will subtract from that theoretical max until you see the more realistic 2300lb number lots of ppl have on their diesel, crew cab 4x4s.
    Last edited by Stealth13777; 10-18-2022 at 05:01 PM.
    2022 Transcend Xplor 240ML
    2019 Imagine XLS 17MKE (sold 8/22)
    2017 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0 Fx4
    Blue Ox WDH

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pros of tt
    Lower cost of entry for tt
    Lower cost of entry for tv
    No steps inside (although newer fivers have come out with flat floor plans and huge storage)
    Lower overall height
    For smaller trailers, easier to maneuver and back up. That advantage is lost on larger tt
    Full bed available for stuff
    Lower tongue weight
    Most tt are smaller and have more access to size limit access to national and state parks

Cons of tt
    More elaborate connect and disconnect process
    More potential for sway
    Typically lower ccc
    Less storage
    Most tt do not have built in generator setup
    Many of the smaller trailers are 30 amp and single ac

Pros to fiver
    More room inside
    More storage
    Larger capacity fresh and holding tanks
    More stable in tow
    Ease of connection
    Auto leveling
    Built in generator or prep
    More often than not, larger bathroom
    Higher ceilings

Cons to fiver
    Cost of fiver
    Cost of tv
    Loss of bed for storage
    Steps inside
    Mostly larger in size and heavier

I am sure there are more pros and cons of each, that’s why we have choices. I happen to have one of the larger travel trailers out there and I love it. Each must choose based on their preferences needs and ability.

Travel trailers seem to shine really in the 34 or less sizes while the fivers tend to shine in the larger sizes.

Good luck with the choices out there!

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast