User Tag List

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by docque View Post
    Is there some sort of magic I am missing. I looked up a VIN for an F 250. It says Fifth Wheel Hitch - Max Tongue Wt. is 4650lbs but yet the F 250 specs say they can get a cargo capacity of up to 4260. What am I missing? I apologize because this is so confusing. Seems like most of the larger fifth wheels we saw this year were pulled by 250s. The big ones of course had 350 and 450s.
    The "magic" that you are missing is this. If a brochure or website states that the maximum payload or Cargo Carrying Capacity (CCC) is 4650, what that really means is that if you buy a base truck exactly like the one used when they made that weight statement, then you too, can get a 4650 lb payload truck. BUT...here's the catch...."That" truck is a completely stripped down base model, with ZERO options, a single cab, an 8' bed and 4x2, with a gas motor. It's not a truck that they sell many of because almost NO ONE wants a truck built like that. Even some of the "work trucks" you see will have more options than the "magic" base truck that they use to get the max. payload numbers.

I'll give you a real world example of a typical 3/4T truck that is very popular......it was my truck, bought brand new in Oct. 2010. It was a 2011 F250, CrewCab Diesel, 6' 8" bed, 4x4, XLT trim (not the Lariat or higher trim level), and no fifth wheel prep package on it. Now, for the realistic and door sticker payload number........2148 lbs. No, that's NOT a typo.......2148 lbs was the payload number on the door sticker. So the difference between max payload of 4650 and 2148 lbs is a whopping 2500 lbs. So what you see advertised is basically not real world numbers....unless of course you want a single cab, 4x2, XL work truck with pretty much nothing in it except the steering wheel, gear shifter, and a brake and gas pedal......oh, and window cranks to roll them up and down.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    The "magic" that you are missing is this. If a brochure or website states that the maximum payload or Cargo Carrying Capacity (CCC) is 4650, what that really means is that if you buy a base truck exactly like the one used when they made that weight statement, then you too, can get a 4650 lb payload truck. BUT...here's the catch...."That" truck is a completely stripped down base model, with ZERO options, a single cab, an 8' bed and 4x2, with a gas motor. It's not a truck that they sell many of because almost NO ONE wants a truck built like that. Even some of the "work trucks" you see will have more options than the "magic" base truck that they use to get the max. payload numbers.

I'll give you a real world example of a typical 3/4T truck that is very popular......it was my truck, bought brand new in Oct. 2010. It was a 2011 F250, CrewCab Diesel, 6' 8" bed, 4x4, XLT trim (not the Lariat or higher trim level), and no fifth wheel prep package on it. Now, for the realistic and door sticker payload number........2148 lbs. No, that's NOT a typo.......2148 lbs was the payload number on the door sticker. So the difference between max payload of 4650 and 2148 lbs is a whopping 2500 lbs. So what you see advertised is basically not real world numbers....unless of course you want a single cab, 4x2, XL work truck with pretty much nothing in it except the steering wheel, gear shifter, and a brake and gas pedal......oh, and window cranks to roll them up and down.
    As I read more I see that diesel trucks in general have a lesser cargo capacity due to the engine weight. But as you stated, that is how I built my F 150. I went with a base model and built it up from there. My capacity is way more than the norm due to most people wanting a specific trim package.

We are not a bells and whistles couple so the standard truck is fine. When I do get a 250 it will be a stripped down version, 4x2, 8ft bed, etc. Probably the larger V8 for many reasons.

Let me ask this then. I know this is not exact. If you have a Cargo capacity of 3000lbs (let's say that is with all things considered, people, cargo, etc). What is considered smart? 2900lbs? 1500lbs?
    Upstate NY
    2022 Ford F150 with trailer tow package
    2022 Transcend Xplor 231rk
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I read more I see that diesel trucks in general have a lesser cargo capacity due to the engine weight. But as you stated, that is how I built my F 150. I went with a base model and built it up from there. My capacity is way more than the norm due to most people wanting a specific trim package.

We are not a bells and whistles couple so the standard truck is fine. When I do get a 250 it will be a stripped down version, 4x2, 8ft bed, etc. Probably the larger V8 for many reasons.

Let me ask this then. I know this is not exact. If you have a Cargo capacity of 3000lbs (let's say that is with all things considered, people, cargo, etc). What is considered smart? 2900lbs? 1500lbs?
    I'm sorry, I don't understand your question.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you are asking how close can you get to cargo capacity? I would say all the way up to it. At least with my F150, I can gross it out right at 7k# and still be comfortable and safe.

When purchasing, I would buy more truck than you think you need though. Many of us later find out we are really glad we did when we get close to maxing out the truck that ‘should be way more than enough’ haha.
    2022 Transcend Xplor 240ML
    2019 Imagine XLS 17MKE (sold 8/22)
    2017 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0 Fx4
    Blue Ox WDH

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Safe, I'd say right up to that number. Smart I'd say maybe max 80% maybe even less.
    Another factor to towing at max capacity or close to it is the extra wear and tear on things like tires, brakes... At the moment with my current setup I'm near my max and noticing those items wearing sooner then they should.
    Plus knowing that you're not at max makes packing a lot easier then having weight anxiety all time. Yes dear I can bring that extra case of beer. Lol
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gronk1 View Post
    Other than height f350's are the same physical size as a f250.
    I had my '15 in for a re-flash & I was looking at a '22 f350...it was stupid tall & stock. Don't know why Ford does that
    I don't know as much about the Fords as I am a GM guy....but I just ordered a new 2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 LB CC D-Max (back in March) and there is little difference in a 2500 and 3500 except for the extra helper leaf springs in the rear. The rest of the truck and drivetrain is the same. Mine has a factory installed 2" lift kit and I love it. It's a beast for towing.

As far as the advantages over a TT...there are many that have already been slated including the towing stability especially when towing in the wind, the storage space inside and out, higher ceilings for a roomier feel, better floor plans than many TTs, and lastly---which I love.....they are much easier to maneuver for boondocking or parking in the woods into tight spots with the hitch geometry. You can swing the truck for U-turns and backing maneuvers with a Fifth wheel which just aren't possible with a TT. As far as the hitch in the bed, there are several options nowadays with the B&W hitches and the puck systems that totally remove all traces of a hitch in the bed when you are not towing. The only con I would think is relative would be the loss of the truck bed space when towing if you wanted a topper or to store large items in your bed. I store a large generator, propane tank for my grill, firewood, and some other items and I have a ton of space still left. Having grown up with TTs and pulled both for years.....FWs are the bees knees for all around towing pleasure!

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    Safe, I'd say right up to that number. Smart I'd say maybe max 80% maybe even less.
    Another factor to towing at max capacity or close to it is the extra wear and tear on things like tires, brakes... At the moment with my current setup I'm near my max and noticing those items wearing sooner then they should.
    Plus knowing that you're not at max makes packing a lot easier then having weight anxiety all time. Yes dear I can bring that extra case of beer. Lol
    I am comfortable towing a 7000lbs RV when the F-150 is capable of towing 11,000 lbs. Also, I am way under the cargo capacity and way under the GCWR.

I appreciate the help with this because the last thing I want to do is get a truck that is too small for the RV. I read the pin weight and then I read that you should not use that. It is best to take the entire GVWR of the fifth wheel (13,995 lbs) and divide by 25% to get the pin weight which is about 3500lbs. And I do believe that is worse case scenario.
    Upstate NY
    2022 Ford F150 with trailer tow package
    2022 Transcend Xplor 231rk
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As stated above, at least for Chevy/GMC, the only difference between 2500 and 3500 are a couple extra leaf springs on the 3500 - that's it. Everything else same.
    You can beef up the factory suspension to handle more cargo weight (sumo springs, airbags, etc) but you CANNOT ever officially change the limits on the door sticker, so there are liability concerns.

FWIW, I really, really didn't want a 2500 or 3500 either. But the rig dictates the truck. After nearly 2 years, I love my Silverado and wouldn't change it for a thing (except for a dually, of course!). You get used to the size and I can park it just fine in most parking lots, even with the long bed.

As for losing your bed with a 5'ver, there are 2 options that help there - Anderson UH is only 40lbs, or the Reese goosebox only uses a ball connection in the bed, so no hitch.
    Colin & Tracy
    '21 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ/Z71/SRW, Long bed, Anderson UH
    '21 Solitude 310 GK-R

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We considered the 315RLTS TT and 337RLS 5th wheel. The floor plans were essentially the same. The 337RLS cost about $10,000 more.

I'm sure the 5th wheel would be a better tow. But, would it be $10,000 better?
    Jeff and Mary
    2017 2600RB
    2022 F250 Lariat CC 6.7 w/ Max Tow
    Round Rock, (Donut Capital of Texas) <><

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivercityjeff View Post
    We considered the 315RLTS TT and 337RLS 5th wheel. The floor plans were essentially the same. The 337RLS cost about $10,000 more.

I'm sure the 5th wheel would be a better tow. But, would it be $10,000 better?
    Having towed both TTs and 5th wheels, I would say, "Yes." Besides the vastly improved towing experience of a fifth wheel, there's the hitching and unhitching to consider, too. Now, if I were to be in the market for something to put on a seasonal or long-term site and leave there, the 315RLTS with dual pane windows and slide toppers would be my choice.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast