User Tag List

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gabathey View Post
    Interesting. In 2021 while looking for a replacement for our totaled tt, I hit my head in the 2021 version of that trailer. We never looked at used ones because I wanted some options that were not available on the 2019s.
    If you don't mind me asking what did you hit head on? I hated the new dual entry bathroom so we bought a barely used 2019 in 2021.

I think I would possibly hit head on AC unit maybe, but it's squarely over the bed on mine.

Shower would be a head on ceiling but the fish bowl/skylight buys the couple inches there. And it's over the center of the shower.

I just asked my wife if she recalled my head getting near anything and she said I duck going through doors but that's mostly out of habit from 24 years in the Navy and growing up in a 300 year old farmhouse in Massachusetts.
    2019 GD Momentum 397TH
    Considering a 395
    99 Ford F-250, 7.3, 6-speed.
    22 Ford F-450
    Former Fulltimers, now just using toy hauler to go to Motocross Races and Mountain Bike parks.
    Va Beach, VA

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivercityjeff View Post
    We considered the 315RLTS TT and 337RLS 5th wheel. The floor plans were essentially the same. The 337RLS cost about $10,000 more.

I'm sure the 5th wheel would be a better tow. But, would it be $10,000 better?
    In a word absolutely.
    Mal & Helen
    With Mitzi our Yorkie
    2021 Solitude 310GK-R
    2020 Reflection 303RLS Sold
    2020 Ford F250 Lariat Super Duty 4WD 6.7 Diesel Short Bed
    B&W Companion Slider
    Amateur Radio Call sign WA2TWA

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is an excellent list and conversation! While we do have a tt (Reflection 315). I agreed with everything in this thread regarding the pros and cons, it is pretty consistent.
    With that said, that is why we have choices! Both my wife and I are short, I am 5’9” and she is 5’1, so ceiling height nor an issue. [emoji4]

I do resonate with many of the others, storage
    and stability seem to be the two most common, with connection and disconnect after that.
    I do have a 1 ton diesel and it loves that tt. No issues towing out with stability, it is rock solid, but it did take some tinkering to get there. I will also say more maneuverable for sure.

I sure do wish my tt did come with the auto level, in thing they do now, that would be a game changer.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also consider where you want to travel. If it’s close to home and no hilly terrain then you may get by with a truck and load that hug the limits. However, if you have any notion of traveling cross country, especially in mountains, you will want a truck that can handle the load both up AND especially down the mountains. My 10k lb Airstream was too heavy for my gas F250 in the mountains. I drive slow but it was white knuckles down the slopes. I traded up to an F250 diesel and now any slope is easy peasy up or down. IMO, if you have any load greater than 10k lbs (usually 28 ft+) you will want to seriously consider a diesel truck. Your ride will be under control at all times and you will enjoy the journey much more.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoRay View Post
    Also consider where you want to travel. If it’s close to home and no hilly terrain then you may get by with a truck and load that hug the limits. However, if you have any notion of traveling cross country, especially in mountains, you will want a truck that can handle the load both up AND especially down the mountains. My 10k lb Airstream was too heavy for my gas F250 in the mountains. I drive slow but it was white knuckles down the slopes. I traded up to an F250 diesel and now any slope is easy peasy up or down. IMO, if you have any load greater than 10k lbs (usually 28 ft+) you will want to seriously consider a diesel truck. Your ride will be under control at all times and you will enjoy the journey much more.
    Funny you mentioned an Airstream because that is on our list as a possibility. Even though this is down the road a bit I want to spend my time to make sure I don't do something that limits my choices.

The choice of TT and fifth wheel are still up in the air for us. Heck, we were even thinking of Class C because then we don't have to deal with figuring out two things (trailer and truck).

An F-250 is on the list next because even though my F-150 can easily pull my current TT it has half ton issues that from what every one says the only fix is go to a bigger truck. Although, I do not mind them.
    Upstate NY
    2022 Ford F150 with trailer tow package
    2022 Transcend Xplor 231rk
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by docque View Post
    Funny you mentioned an Airstream because that is on our list as a possibility. Even though this is down the road a bit I want to spend my time to make sure I don't do something that limits my choices.

The choice of TT and fifth wheel are still up in the air for us. Heck, we were even thinking of Class C because then we don't have to deal with figuring out two things (trailer and truck).

An F-250 is on the list next because even though my F-150 can easily pull my current TT it has half ton issues that from what every one says the only fix is go to a bigger truck. Although, I do not mind them.
    Something to think about with a Class A, B, or C, is without a "toad" (towed vehicle), you will have to break camp every time you want, or need to go somewhere. Say you are staying four weeks at an RV park. You will have to break camp every time you need to go to the grocery store. The other thing to think about is with a toad, you now need to maintain two engines and transmissions. These two main reasons are how I convinced the wife to go fifth wheel and not a motorhome. Just my two cents, adjusted for inflation.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    Something to think about with a Class A, B, or C, is without a "toad" (towed vehicle), you will have to break camp every time you want, or need to go somewhere. Say you are staying four weeks at an RV park. You will have to break camp every time you need to go to the grocery store. The other thing to think about is with a toad, you now need to maintain two engines and transmissions. These two main reasons are how I convinced the wife to go fifth wheel and not a motorhome. Just my two cents, adjusted for inflation.
    I usually add this to the above: if you're full-timing - or just out for several weeks or more - if the drive train in a motorhome has issues, your home goes into the shop (and you go into a hotel). With a towable, if the tow vehicle has issues, just the TV goes into the shop and you can stay in your home (negotiating a longer stay with the park, of course).

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    I usually add this to the above: if you're full-timing - or just out for several weeks or more - if the drive train in a motorhome has issues, your home goes into the shop (and you go into a hotel). With a towable, if the tow vehicle has issues, just the TV goes into the shop and you can stay in your home (negotiating a longer stay with the park, of course).

Rob
    To Rob's point, I watched a Utube of a couple that had a large 5er towed by a Ram 3500 dully. They were out in the middle of nowhere near Knab Utah and the Ram broke down, fuel pump. Their trip turned into a real nightmare. They found a tow truck to tow the Ram to the nearest independent repair center, then the same company went back and towed the 5er to a campground for them. The repair shop told them of the catastrophic failure of the CP fuel pump and they could not get all the parts to fix it. So then they had to tow the Ram to Nevada to the nearest Ram dealer, that cost another $1300 and still the dealer said it would be 6-8 weeks at least for parts. They ended up borrowing a 1 ton from friends in another state to tow their 5er.

With motor homes and problems with the drive trains its a little more difficult to find repair centers that can work on them. For problems with the RV side of motor homes it maybe even more difficult to find someplace that can work on them. Owners are not always near well populated cities with a lot of options to choose from. Flat tires on MH can be a real hassle since most people can not change a flat on bigger rigs, most don't even have a spare tire. Toads - Usually we see new little vehicles behind MH and most small towable cars/jeeps and such are very good reliability wise. Even if your Toad goes down you can still drive your MH.

Pros and cons - Whatever you choose, whatever fits your needs, just be aware of the situations that can happen and plan for them the best you can, like -extra insurance, loss of use, national tow policies - stuff like that and then roll with the punches.
    Last edited by Steven@147; 10-24-2022 at 08:05 AM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NOOO!!!! I am going to have to do the truck crap all over again? Time to do some studying... again. Hope the Dealer knows what he is doing this time around.
    I wouldn't consider a fiver with a F150 anyway. Been there and done that with a '17 f150 and 220rk 26' fiver. Take it out in higher winds and you will get blown all over the road. HD F150 - might be better but I have never had the chance to try one.

TT's free up room in the bed is about the only advantage but a large basement in a fiver can make up for that. TT's with the low ceiling are too closed in for me, especially if you plan on full timing.. Get a Goosebox hitch and B&W turnover ball with gooseball extender and you won't have a large hitch in the back of your bed.
    AND get a new 1 ton truck.........
    Donald AKA johndeerefarmer
    2020 Ford F350 Powerstroke diesel
    2017 F150 ecoboost max tow
    2016 Reflection 29RS VIN# 573FR322XG3305717

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One thing that seems to be a little overlooked so far is YOUR lifestyle. I will say that the 5er is easier to tow and hook up but with more steps. Good and bad both ways. Either way you will get used to towing whatever you purchase. I have a buddy that would like to have a 5er rather than his TT but his lifestyle will not match up unless he went to a toy-hauler. By the time he loads bikes, stand up paddle boards, and fishing pontoon boats his only option is the TT. His wife is not willing to give up the toys, for just the two of them, at this point. My wife would love to take kayaks with us, along with bikes, but it would cost more to figure out how to carry them with the 5er than what the toys cost. Just another set of pros and cons to add to the equation. Good luck and happy hunting.
    2019 29rs
    2007 Ram diesel, 4x4 long bed
    CDL with tanker, hazmat, emergency vehicle, and bus endorsements

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast