User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tongue Jack Wiring

2018 Imagine 3170BH. Tongue jack works fine on battery and shore power but won't work on truck power alone. Before storing the trailer for winter I pull the battery out to trickle charge at home, but this means I have to use the manual crank wrench to lower the jack at the storage site, which is a big pain. The 7-pin powers the running lights and brakes fine but apparently nothing else in the 12V system (like interior lights)... is that normal or is something wired wrong? (FYI, doesn't matter the position of the battery disconnect switch, or if I "short" the battery connectors together). Always been like this (bought used last year) but only recently realized this probably isn't normal.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *edit* re-read, as I thought you said it was making the interior lights work on the trailer. Most modern trucks do limit the power output, so if some 12v stuff was working then you had power. However, running lights and brakes are their own circuit. I agree with Hunter that it sounds like your truck is not supplying power to the charge circuit.

If it’s a Ford, some of them are missing the charge circuit breaker from the factory, depending on year.

An alternative is you just leave the battery in until the trailer is parked, then take it with you when you drive back home and put it on to charge. That’s what we do. But I would also want the charge circuit of the truck working.
    Last edited by Stealth13777; 10-19-2022 at 02:38 PM.
    2022 Transcend Xplor 240ML
    2019 Imagine XLS 17MKE (sold 8/22)
    2017 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0 Fx4
    Blue Ox WDH

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tbushmaker View Post
    2018 Imagine 3170BH. Tongue jack works fine on battery and shore power but won't work on truck power alone. Before storing the trailer for winter I pull the battery out to trickle charge at home, but this means I have to use the manual crank wrench to lower the jack at the storage site, which is a big pain. The 7-pin powers the running lights and brakes fine but apparently nothing else in the 12V system (like interior lights)... is that normal or is something wired wrong? (FYI, doesn't matter the position of the battery disconnect switch, or if I "short" the battery connectors together). Always been like this (bought used last year) but only recently realized this probably isn't normal.
    Not normal on an Imagine.

We haul all of our overflow units to a storage lot and just plug them in. It will run the tongue jack, and the interior lights /slides when the disconnect is turned on.

Could you have a blown fuse for the charge line on your truck?
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What truck? To get power to the trailer GM's need a fuse added and a terminal screwed to a post on the fuse block. F150's need a fuse and relay added (part should be in a bag in the truck.) My F250 was OK from the factory.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    And...why go through the effort of removing the battery? See my other posts for details, but in our winters, it isn't needed. Fully charge it, use it for the little the last operation of the jack requires, disconnect everything at the terminal (not the switch), and in the spring reconnect and operate the jack like normal. The battery will still be at or above 90% of fully charged....
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Newer F150s don’t have a fuse in the battery charge circuit and the truck will not supply enough current to run heavy current consumption without an at least partially charged battery. The circuit just tops off the battery. The computer senses the current draw and shuts down if it’s too high.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all. I'll have to double-check everything when I pick up the camper in spring, but my F-150 has the trailer charge fuse in place and working, so it must be something downstream. If nothing else I will probably keep the battery in place until after I drop the jack in storage. Have a great winter.