Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ABS Brakes – What’s your experience?

I have a new Solitude 310GK-R manufactured in June 2022, Purchased in August. Build sheet shows 7K axle with ABS brakes. After a little research it appears that Solitudes now come with ABS brakes standard (not sure the exact date this started).

I haven’t taken it on a trip yet…only driving from dealership to storage. However when I tested the trailer brakes while crawling the brakes didn’t “grab” the trailer as I have experienced with previous trailers I’ve owned. The stopping was a “slow roll” to a stop. This was at a gain of 6. Not much difference at a gain of 10. Now I am thinking is there a brake issue or this is just the performance of the ABS at a crawl speed.

What’s your experience with the new ABS brakes?

There is a previous thread stating that Grand Design started using 7,000 lb Curt axles with ABS brakes in May 2022.
    2023 Solitude 310GK-R
    2022 Ford F350 DRW
    Hensley BD5 hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you adjusted the brakes? And burnished them in?
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No adjustments. Have they been “burnished in”?…I would say maybe. I haven’t towed it much….Normal towing just from dealer to storage and now from storage to home in prep for a trip. Maybe 40ish start and stops. Haven’t noticed any braking deficiencies yet….just the difference when testing them before I pull out.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They flat tow large 5th wheels from the factory. From Indiana to Texas, I would say your brakes are adjusted (if self-adjusting) & burnished-but maybe not correctly.
    I would check the adjustment though.
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would have the adjustment checked and make sure it is set properly. Self adjusting brakes do a pretty good job of maintaining adjustment, they don’t do a good job of correcting improper adjustment.

Also, on Fords, I have heard they will not put full brake power when you are going at parking lot speeds. I know if I hit the controller on my trailer when first starting out I can feel the brakes but they don’t grab all that strong yet on the road they work very well.
    2022 Reflection150 226RK
    2022 F150 Powerboost hybrid with 3.5L Ecoboost

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am wondering if you have solved for this. I have new Reflection 315rlts that has Curt ABS. The brakes feel almost non-existent at times and if I have the gain set to 5 or 6 they may be working at highway speeds but when I am coming off the freeway and need to slow quickly I feel the trailer pushing me and as I get to pushing the brakes hard down around 20 mph the brakes on the trailer lock and skid. If I turn the gain way down to 2.5 they wont lock but I feel nothing as I slow down and then suddenly they grab and jolt us to a stop. Took truck (2019 RAM 2500) to get the trailer brake controller checked and took rig back to the dealer and they said they put it on “the box” and the brakes worked normally. If you are just rolling very slowly and squeeze the brake controller can can feel and hear the brakes engaging and it does get stronger as you turn the gain up. If you squeeze them controller at 20 mph the first squeeze gets a response but after that, nothing. Any ideas? I traded in a Jayco that was about 1500lbs less than this and never had any issues with the brakes or truck controller.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    kkmacs,

I believe my issue/concern is resolved. Took my first long trip to Florida from Texas in Nov 2022. The brakes worked well and didn’t notice any braking deficiency versus previous 5th wheels I owned. During the trip I noticed that applying the brake controller (while idling out of a campsite) the brakes now grab and stop the trailer from a roll. I am running at a gain of 6.

With respect to your situation….I would be concerned if the brakes feel non-existent and then lock up the wheels when decelerating down to 20 mph. I am sorry I can’t provide any more insight to your brake situation. If you have concerns about the Dealer’s Testing I would probably find a Trailer Repair facility and have them inspected/tested.
    2023 Solitude 310GK-R
    2022 Ford F350 DRW
    Hensley BD5 hitch

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a new 2023 324mbs with Curt Axles and ABS brakes. I agree, they SUCK! And yes, they have been adjusted and burnished in. I have my breal gain at 8.5 and they don't grab near as well as my older 2021 Reflection. Had I been given a choice I would have stuck with the tried and true older electric brakes.
    Guy and Alicia
    Ossineke, Michigan
    2016 GMC 2500HD
    2023 Reflection 324MBS

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G&A-Unbound View Post
    I have a new 2023 324mbs with Curt Axles and ABS brakes. I agree, they SUCK! And yes, they have been adjusted and burnished in. I have my breal gain at 8.5 and they don't grab near as well as my older 2021 Reflection. Had I been given a choice I would have stuck with the tried and true older electric brakes.
    How do these differ from the standard electric brakes? I've never heard what the differences are between the ABS brakes, and standard trailer brakes. TIA.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Najataagihe View Post
    Short answer, they don't - until the wheel tries to lock up.

If the wheels aren't locking up, they act like standard brakes.

Like any other ABS system, when the wheel stops spinning, the circuitry unlocks the brakes to get them spinning again.

With more modern algorithms, the system detects the sudden jerk in rotation that happens just BEFORE the wheel locks and lessens the force on that wheel, so it won't.

You should set your brake controller to its maximum setting and let the ABS modulate the trailer brakes.

It is the same as stomping on the brake pedal and let it pulse, as has been taught since ABS appeared on cars a few years ago.

It took folks FOREVER to break the habit of a lifetime and stop trying to modulate their own brakes.

Electronics are a lot faster than the human nervous system.

Let the system do its job.
    Yes, I'm well aware of how an ABS system works, but that is for disc brakes and a quick reacting system. How do they work with a magnetic activated brake system that actually has to turn to activate the braking action? The time lag is huge compared to a disc brake system, so I'm not sure how well an ABS would work.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast