User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Putting more than a few gallons in the black tank using the rinse is asking for a bite in the a--, behind. Do it often enough, and you'll forget it at some point. I only close the valve for as long as a couple of minutes, and only if I'm standing right there. I've read of more than one individual getting distracted and cleaning up a real mess as a result.
    Exactly what I do. If I am closing the gate on the black tank while flushing it, I stay put. I don't want to have to deal with that kind of biohazard cleanup. If I HAVE to walk away, I have a valve on my black hose that I can turn off, which I do.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Con310GK View Post
    I'd be interested in knowing more about this water meter. Thanks!

Attachment 43610
    It's just a simple, plastic, water flow meter. It "counts" the gallons going through it. It doesn't have to be super accurate, just "good enough".

2 Pack - P3 P0550 Water Meter | Measure Watering Use in Gallons or Liters |Fits Standard Garden Hose https://a.co/d/iXM13P1

I have one on the fresh input and one in the black flush input.

As an engineer, data is good! [emoji16]

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KenSher View Post
    Ranchertx, most people fill their black tanks each time on dumping to clean.
    I have been RVing for 25+ years. I never felt the need to gauge the water when flushing the black water.
    Put in 5-10 gals and dump it.

Can’t think of a reason to make it more complicated but I guess some do.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranchertx View Post
    I have been RVing for 25+ years. I never felt the need to gauge the water when flushing the black water.

I use the gauge to add 5 gallons when I'm done dumping and flushing the black tank, no guessing for me. I then add the black tank chemicals via the toilet and that's a wrap.

Then again, we are full-time in our rig, so keeping a smooth operating black tank is high in my priority list.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranchertx View Post

There's actually nothing "more complicated" about it. Using the water meter along with a shutoff valve I know exactly how much water I'm putting in the black tank and not guessing at all. There's no wondering did I put in 5 gallons yet? 10 gallons?... or did only 2 gallons go in? or maybe it was 15 gallons? When I want to give the black tank a really good flush out it involves draining then rinsing it with the valve open. Turn off the water and after it's fully drained close the black tank valve and add lots of water ... usually 25-30 gallons of water and then open the drain valve again. When I'm all through with my rinsing procedure I then add 10 gallons of water to the black tank to slosh around while traveling to my next destination.... there's no guessing how much water is in my tanks.
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Honestly, most people don't fill their black tank, for the simple reasons I outlined above.
    Maybe that's true with the people you camp with.... but not us. We camp with a group of 8-10 RVers and 7 of us have black tank flushing ports and we ALL use water meters to fill our black tanks when flushing them out. Now keep in mind no one is talking about adding 60 gallons of water to a black tank that has a 60 gallon capacity. Mine has a 45 gallon black tank capacity so I shoot for 25 - 30 gallons of water then open the gate valve and let it drain again. Only keeping the gate valve open and rinsing the tank doesn't do anywhere near as good of a cleaning job as a couple of fill & flushes does
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess I misunderstood and thought when you said "fill the tank", you actually filled the tank. Yes, a lot of people add water to the black tank to help flush it out. They simply don't care to be exact about the amount, it's not rocket science.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I purchased the water meter to keep track of how much water was going into the fresh water tank. No need to take more water than needed for a three day weekend of boondocking.

I figured that as long as I had the meter I might as well use it for the black tank flush also. Not so much for a large rinse but for adding water, and treatment, into the black tank for a little agitation cleansing on the way to the next site.
    2019 29rs
    2007 Ram diesel, 4x4 long bed
    CDL with tanker, hazmat, emergency vehicle, and bus endorsements

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundsailor View Post
    A meter can be used on the rinse input for the blackwater tank. That way when you're rinsing, you'll know how much water you've used. It would be a real mess to overflow the black tank.
    That and when I'm done flushing, I add (with the gate closed) 4 to 5 gallons of water via thd flush. With the meter, it takes the guessing away.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    That and when I'm done flushing, I add (with the gate closed) 4 to 5 gallons of water via thd flush. With the meter, it takes the guessing away.
    Good point, I forgot to mention that. I find traveling with five gallons in the tank swishing around loosens stuff that the rinse didn't get.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast