Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tote tanks

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Keebler View Post
    I have a smaller, 18 gallon tote with 4 rubber (although not pneumatic) wheels. It can take me a couple of trips, but it is VERY easy to manage. The handle can go over the hitch, but it is so simple to just pull it like a wagon.

This is the one I have: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Interesting little device. SInce we are not going to boondock often small may be fine. Limit water so the greys don't fill up. Wish using public facilities was an option, but not for me.
    Upstate NY
    2022 Ford F150 with trailer tow package
    2022 Transcend Xplor 231rk
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @docque

We use one of the original blue Rhino tote tanks (25 gal.) like in the picture but without the "Full" gauge or the inflatable tires. Tow it behind on a hitch ball and make sure to tie it down! I had one come off at a Pa State Park going down a curved hill to the dump station. It flipped upside down, slid down and embankment and stopped at the edge of the creek... nothing spilled out and the only damage was a cracked hub on one of the front wheels. Now you can bet I always tie it down to the ball!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20221025-105901_Photos.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	43541
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redapple63 View Post
    Use a macerator pump with the tote in the bed of the truck. Drive to the dump station and empty from the truck bed. Easy Peasy…

Bill
    My "tote" is a 30 gallon plastic barrel strapped in the truck bed. It's filled with a 12V Flojet macerator pump using 3/4" pond hose and emptied via a 1-1/2" gate valve and sump pump hose.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the handle over an extra slide in hitch with a small ball. To make sure it stays put I wrap bungie cords around the handle and hitch and drive about 10 MPH for over thirty years with no issues.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weight

Quote Originally Posted by docque View Post
    We are looking at getting one of the tanks because Wife wants to go to a state park without sewer. How crazy is it to drag a 36 or 42 gallon by hand over gravel?

Also was thinking of going with a pump to pump it up into the truck but not sure if it is worth it.
    Keep in mind each gallon of water weighs 8.34 pounds, do the math it will be very heavy to pull around by hand
    James Callahan
    2019 303RLS Reflection
    2018 Chevy High Country 2500 Diesel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by James Callahan View Post
    Keep in mind each gallon of water weighs 8.34 pounds, do the math it will be very heavy to pull around by hand
    You are 100% correct! It's hard enough for me to drag mine about 85' at home on level pavement when I want to dump my tank.... and that's with probably only 20 gallons in it! I can't imagine dragging it halfway across a campground by hand.
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are looking at getting one of the tanks because Wife wants to go to a state park without sewer. How crazy is it to drag a 36 or 42 gallon by hand over gravel?

Also was thinking of going with a pump to pump it up into the truck but not sure if it is worth it.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07K87FR5C...7fc737124&th=1

This is the one I got in 11/18 and it's only $2 more than it was then. I've only used it for gray water, because with just my wife and myself we can go about 10 days with the black water. I was thinking that a smaller one would be better, because of the weight, but I don't have to fill it all the way up.
    Mal & Helen
    With Mitzi our Yorkie
    2021 Solitude 310GK-R
    2020 Reflection 303RLS Sold
    2020 Ford F250 Lariat Super Duty 4WD 6.7 Diesel Short Bed
    B&W Companion Slider
    Amateur Radio Call sign WA2TWA

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've used a 41 gallon Barker tote and Flojet Macerator extensively this year and I've come to appreciate the convenience.

The tote stays in the bed of the truck. Fits perfect between tailgate and 5th wheel hitch. And that's space I wasn't using anyway.

When I need to empty the grey tank, just pump into the tote and drive to the dump station.

I've not needed to empty the black tank this way yet as we've always moved before needing to dump. But even after getting proficient at using the Macerator and the shut off valves at both ends of the transfer hose, I still lose about 1 to 2 cups of liquid when disconnecting the Macerator. I've learned to place a container underneath so it doesn't drain onto the ground. So I'm not excited about using this system with the black tank, but will in a pinch.

I like the large tote so there's no possibility of overfilling.
    Mike and Rebecca Mullin, Bend OR
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD
    2001 Chev 2500 HD, 8.1-liter gas, 4x4

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How crazy is it to drag a 36 or 42 gallon by hand over gravel?
    We have a 36 gal tote. It has been useful on a couple of occasions,... but it is a handful.
    As noted by others; if I filled it, it was almost impossible to hook onto the bumper hitch to tow it. That's a lot of weight for me to lift (one end) about 12 inches. It would pull by hand over gravel but I would not want to strain any needed body parts to get there.
    It works well as long as I don't fill it up. Only put in what you can handle and all is fine (test it with water). If I had to do it again I would consider something a bit smaller and easier to store.

Rob
    Rob & Kathy
    2019 F350 CCSB SRW, w/Demco Autoslide.
    2019 Solitude 310GK.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Rob+Kath

Why would you have to lift it... doesn't it have 4 wheels and and a handle? My Blue Rhino Tote Tank has a long enough handle to just put it over the hitch ball with all four wheels on the ground. Front 2 wheels swivel for easy moving.
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast