Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tote tanks

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IBEW Sparky View Post
    @Rob+Kath

Why would you have to lift it... doesn't it have 4 wheels and and a handle? My Blue Rhino Tote Tank has a long enough handle to just put it over the hitch ball with all four wheels on the ground. Front 2 wheels swivel for easy moving.
    If Rob's is like mine

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2022-10-31 165432.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	43644

it can be difficult to pick up the hitch end when it's full. As Rob said, if the weight is an issue, don't fill it all the way. More trips to the dump station but easier to handle.
    Last edited by Soundsailor; 10-31-2022 at 03:01 PM.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundsailor View Post
    If Rob's is like mine

Name:	Screenshot 2022-10-31 165432.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	43644

it can be difficult to pick up the hitch end when it's full. As Rob said, if the weight is an issue, don't fill it all the way. More trips to the dump station but easier to handle.

Now I see what you are saying.... in my opinion that sure is a terrible design! Only 2 wheels with that much weight isn't something I would want to be dealing with. It seems that the manufacturer tried to "reinvent the wheel" by removing two of them.... no thanks, I'll stick with the tried and true original blue Rhino tote tank.

Name:	Screenshot_20221025-105901_Photos.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	43651
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now I see what you are saying
    Yes, I have the exact one pictured by Soundsailor. There is a wire formed attachment that engages the handle and goes over the hitch.

Two or four wheels is a bit of a toss up in my opinion. So far, the only parks I needed to use a tote were not at all friendly to pulling by hand. Potholes, rough surfaces and long distances make a hand pull undesirable. By attaching it to my truck hitch, the two wheel works well. I would have concerns that a four wheel might not "tow" very well with a swivel wheel.
    If your in a situation with better roads/paths and a short distance, I think the four wheel is the way to go.

My luck so far has been places that are decent enough to hand pull a tote will have full hookups. If I need to use the tote, it's almost an all terrain adventure.
    Rob
    Rob & Kathy
    2019 F350 CCSB SRW, w/Demco Autoslide.
    2019 Solitude 310GK.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob+Kath View Post
    Yes, I have the exact one pictured by Soundsailor. There is a wire formed attachment that engages the handle and goes over the hitch.

Two or four wheels is a bit of a toss up in my opinion. So far, the only parks I needed to use a tote were not at all friendly to pulling by hand. Potholes, rough surfaces and long distances make a hand pull undesirable. By attaching it to my truck hitch, the two wheel works well. I would have concerns that a four wheel might not "tow" very well with a swivel wheel.
    If your in a situation with better roads/paths and a short distance, I think the four wheel is the way to go.

My luck so far has been places that are decent enough to hand pull a tote will have full hookups. If I need to use the tote, it's almost an all terrain adventure.
    Rob
    This is why I am leaning towards a tank in the bed of the truck and a pump. As you stated, places that you would need this are not paved roads usually.
    Upstate NY
    2022 Ford F150 with trailer tow package
    2022 Transcend Xplor 231rk
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob+Kath View Post

Rob
    That is funny; my visual is too clear; messy but clear!

Totally different situation for me. In NC, none of the state parks that I have been to have full hook-ups. Most of the roads are quite good, so pulling the a 4 wheel tote like a wagon works REALLY well.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Rob+Kath

The four wheeled tote pulls just fine on gravel, grass, dirt, or pavement. The swivel really only comes in to play when you are moving it to hook to your truck or at the dump station. It stays straight as can be behind the tow vehicle... the newer models all have inflatable tires.
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Rob+Kath

The four wheeled tote pulls just fine on gravel, grass, dirt, or pavement. The swivel really only comes in to play when you are moving it to hook to your truck or at the dump station. It stays straight as can be behind the tow vehicle... the newer models all have inflatable tires.
    So you can air them down if you plan to rock crawl with the tote.
    Upstate NY
    2022 Ford F150 with trailer tow package
    2022 Transcend Xplor 231rk
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by docque View Post
    So you can air them down if you plan to rock crawl with the tote.
    Ahahahahahaha! I almost fell out of my chair reading that one! Ahahahahahahahaha!!!!!
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Rob+Kath
    the newer models all have inflatable tires.
    Inflatable tires would make the difference. The plastic wheels are a bit scary on any terrain, especially with a heavy tote. IMHO the tire/wheel/axle assembly is critical to how the whole thing works. It has crossed my mind to replace the set-up on my tote with a new inflatable tire configuration. Since we don't use it very often, my laziness has taken over.

Just as a side note: The larger totes are taller, and may end up with a fill point higher than your dump connection. This might be another reason for using a smaller tote. docque mentioned using a pump, which might be a good idea for those that will need to move some volume. I don't have a pump, and I don't know about how easy they work or ease of cleaning after use. This is an item on my "buy" list to permit dumping at home (or where I don't have an standard RV hookup).
    Rob
    Rob & Kathy
    2019 Solitude 310GK.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    Ahahahahahaha! I almost fell out of my chair reading that one! Ahahahahahahahaha!!!!!
    Don't laugh, some of the pothole terrain I had to pull over would qualify! Assuming scale for the smaller tote wheels.

Yes, that was one of the better comments I have read. Timing is everything.
    Rob
    Rob & Kathy
    2019 Solitude 310GK.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast