Thread: US cell service

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

US cell service

Morning all,
    Looking for some thoughts on what Canadians are doing for cell service while in the States. We have been down here for about a month now and are using a Verizon prepaid hotspot for data. It works ok so long as you’re not in a super busy area. We have a Bell travel plan for voice on one phone. The voice plan works well but is a bit expensive. Pre-COVID, we used an ATT prepaid hotspot which worked really well but they don’t offer prepaid any more. I can’t justify a dedicated US device with the monthly costs since we are only here a couple of months a year.

What are others doing while travelling around the States?

Thanks.
    Chris
    Kanata ON
    2015 337RLS, 2014 Ram 3500 DRW CTD Crew Cab

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We started using maplewifi this past season while camping in both Canada and the US. It's cell phone base, so as long as you have cell phone connection your good. It's not cheap but it's unlimited and they don't throttle. No contract, so we just activate it when we travel. No more depending on cg wifi. In Canada it seems to prefer Roger's, in the US I think it was Verizon but my memory is fuzzy on that last part. It will use any carrier available. Aside from the worse customer service I've ever experienced with a company, the internet service was reliable and stable. Aside from Starlink, it's the only other option that we found that was worth it without contract and true unlimited without throttling. When visiting the states, we activate voice and txt roaming on DW phone on Public Mobile which was $20 for 10 days. If heading down to the US for months, I'd just get a Sim card for phone and txt and keep the maplewifi.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moved to Mobile Tech: Connectivity On The Road.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015