User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    Apologies for trying to help. Best wishes.
    It wasn't a jab at you. I expected a normal website. You know, here are the plans, here are the devices. Instead you search through what looks like a forum.
    Upstate NY
    2022 Ford F150 with trailer tow package
    2022 Transcend Xplor 231rk
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Keebler View Post
    I have a Verizon hotspot that works well; when there is a decent signal. The hotspot does have ports that allow for the connection of an external antenna with TS9 connectors. I use a small, indoor MIMO antenna that can help slightly, but there has to be a signal to begin with. For the places I visit, my experience is that the Verizon signal is typically as good or better than ATT or T-Mobile (based on comparing cell phones with neighboring campers).

I don't rely on internet enough to warrant spending more to try to improve my situation. It works well for me in 85% of my use cases. Bearing in mind that I tend to do a lot of camping in areas to visit cities (Asheville, NC; Charlottesville, VA; Charleston, SC; etc) versus going out into remote areas.

Regarding Verizon; Pros: their coverage is good. Cons: they are pricey and their customer support is not the best.

Bottom line, for me; this has been simple and relatively cheap; literally just had to buy a hotspot, add that hotspot as a device to my plan, and I chose to also get a cheap, indoor antenna.
    I am just trying to get coverage cheaply for now. I don't want to spend hundreds a month if we are not full time yet. Once we go full time the situation changes and spending hundreds for connectivity is smart.

I am looking at a booster to put on a pole outside the TT. I know that if I have no bars chances are the booster will give me no bars.
    Upstate NY
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by docque View Post
    I am just trying to get coverage cheaply for now. I don't want to spend hundreds a month if we are not full time yet. Once we go full time the situation changes and spending hundreds for connectivity is smart.

I am looking at a booster to put on a pole outside the TT. I know that if I have no bars chances are the booster will give me no bars.
    Do you know about these folks?

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/

Even their free sections have lots of useful info.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It wasn't a jab at you. I expected a normal website. You know, here are the plans, here are the devices. Instead you search through what looks like a forum.
    Ok, I should have included the URL. It's pretty straight forward once you are at the right page. I've had my shortcut for so long I haven't had to Google for it. Now I see that there are lots of results that aren't related to where I was directing you. Go to the URL below and you'll be able to see what I was referring to. Scroll to the bottom for YouTube videos that cover it as well if you are interested. If not interested, no skin off my teeth, just trying to help with options.
    https://traveldata.page/
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my case, since I already had a cellular plan with Verizon; it costs me $20 extra a month to add a hot spot as a device with 50GB of premium mobile hotspot data.

Regarding boosters; it all depends on your use case; i'd recommend reading on the links provided above to understand the limits of a booster before shelling out $500 on a booster. I am not saying a booster is bad for everyone; I am saying that they aren't right for everyone; in many cases a booster will have no impact or can even slow down performance.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    Ok, I should have included the URL. It's pretty straight forward once you are at the right page. I've had my shortcut for so long I haven't had to Google for it. Now I see that there are lots of results that aren't related to where I was directing you. Go to the URL below and you'll be able to see what I was referring to. Scroll to the bottom for YouTube videos that cover it as well if you are interested. If not interested, no skin off my teeth, just trying to help with options.
    https://traveldata.page/
    Ok, I see what is going on. It is very slow for me. When I click on a link it just sits there. Then info will pop up. Taking about five minutes for the page to come up.
    Upstate NY
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Do you know about these folks?

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/

Even their free sections have lots of useful info.

Rob
    I have them book marked for later. But I am trying to get to the fine print on some of these things. I want true unlimited (which I currently have). I don't want to figure out how much data I use and I sure don't want to get throttled back if I am doing something.

I am leaning towards keeping my T-Mobile and probably using Visible as a backup. May not be able to stream but I can upload/download if working.
    Upstate NY
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have them book marked for later. But I am trying to get to the fine print on some of these things. I want true unlimited (which I currently have). I don't want to figure out how much data I use and I sure don't want to get throttled back if I am doing something.

I am leaning towards keeping my T-Mobile and probably using Visible as a backup. May not be able to stream but I can upload/download if working.
    There's a thread going on another forum right now regarding Visible. They limit speeds to 5 GBPS and only one device connected to a phone used as a hotspot.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a thread going on another forum right now regarding Visible. They limit speeds to 5 GBPS and only one device connected to a phone used as a hotspot.

Rob
    Easy fix. That one device will be my little router. I used to do this with my old phone. They are not the greatest hotspots but they can server up data. So, the router can handle many connections.
    Upstate NY
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rob
    the hotspot limit is 5Mbps, I use a portable router to get around the one device limit. I also have a work phone with a direct Verizon plan, as long as I can get over 5Mbps on that then visible delivers the full 5Mbps. I have not had any issues with streaming at this speed, of course if you are streaming to multiple screens or 4K content it may be an issue but I haven't tried either. I have even been working, which doesn't require a lot of bandwidth while the grandkids stream without issues.

I wish they would allow a true hotspot device instead of a phone hotspot, but with a router and a booster with outside antenna for weak signals it is not much of an issue. In my opinion it is hard to beat unlimited for $25/month.
    2021 Imagine 2800BH
    2017 Flagstaff 831CLBSS - Sold 5/2021.
    2017 F150 Super crew, 3.5EB, long bed, max tow, 1800lbs payload. Pro Pride, prior WDH Blue Ox SwayPro

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast