User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Advice - Travel Through Canada

For you experienced RVers traveling in Canada, I would appreciate any advice. We are now planning a legendary trip before we get too old to enjoy it. From Dothan, AL to Upstate MI (about 1,100 mi), then from Mackinaw City KOA (used before and love it) to Grand Forks Campground (ND), then a Ramada overnight in Moose Jaw, SK, then to Bow RiversEdge Campground in Cochrane, AB. Goal is to visit Banff, Lake Louise and Japer National Park again. We thought it best to hub from Bow RiversEdge near Calgary for 3 days rather than fighting the tourists in Banff. Then back home to AL. I know - long trip over about 5 weeks. We've done the MI trip many times - but never this trip over 5k mi, and never in Canada. I'm pulling a Reflection 303RLS 5th wheel with an F-250, 6.7 diesel. Any diesel fuel issues? Hook up issues? I'm open to any advice from you experienced RVers. Thanks

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do you mean by diesel fuel issues?
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If doing lake Louise, then a must stop is Moraine lake. Much nicer IMHO. The rookies are crazy busy during the summer. Another nice spot that you can do from Cochrane are the hot springs bath in Radium Hot Springs. Real cozy little village to relaxe. There's a few campgrounds there also for a night or 2. From Cochrane to Jasper is a long drive to do a up and down the same day, 4.5 hrs each way. If looking to stay just outside the rookies where its a little less busy, look around Hinton (a little similar to Cochrane). Kicking Horse canyon is also beautiful and they should be done with the major work on HWY 1 this year I believe. So many places to visit in the Rockies. The Icefield in Jasper is another must and the Athabasca falls also. Heck, just the drive alone from Banff to Jasper is jaw dropping beautiful. There's no hook up or fuel issues (other then this crazy price) to be aware.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    If doing lake Louise, then a must stop is Moraine lake. Heck, just the drive alone from Banff to Jasper is jaw dropping beautiful
    The highlight of our 3 month trip to Alaska in '19 was the scenery between Jasper and Banff.
    Norb
    Upstate NY
    2020 Imagine 2800BH
    2013 Keystone Bullet 23BHS
    2015 Sportcraft AR-ONE 25BH

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I was planning the trip I'd go west from Calgary to Banff. The RV CG there is called Tunnel Mountain. It's basically a large parking lot in my opinion, but good location to sightsee around banff. Then I'd stop at Lake louise CG. Check out Moraine Lake, a very nice spot. Then take the Ice fields Parkway to Jasper, best scenic drive in Canada. Last time we did that hwy it took us 6 or 7 hours because we kept stopping at the sights and animals but you can do it quicker if you like. Fill up before you leave for the parkway-no fuel stops until Jasper. At Jasper you have the Wapiti CG on the shore of the Athabasca river - we have enjoyed it there. There is also Marmot CG - more hookups there, but I cannot give you an opinion - never been. The are great hotsprings outside jasper called the Miette hot springs. Great soaking in the hot springs looking out over the rocky mountains. If you are leaving now...you are too late for RVing in the Canadian rockies. I hope you are planning for next year.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh...another thing. Talk to your cell phone company and make sure you have a plan that works in Canada
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By diesel fuel issues, is diesel readily available in the areas I'm traveling from North Forks, ND to Moose Jaw, SK, to Cochrane, AB.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Ynot4me2! Very helpful. Sounds like we need a lot more time in the area.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Scottn'Wendy - yes, this trip will be mid August to early Sept.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MWB777 View Post
    Thanks Scottn'Wendy - yes, this trip will be mid August to early Sept.
    There is a fueling station halfway between Banff and Jasper on the Icefields Parkway. This last September, diesel in Canada was about $5.00 per gallon (after conversion from liters to gallons and after the exchange rate). At the time, that was about 10% higher than in the US.
    2021 Solitude 380FL-R
    Ram 3500 MegaCab SB DRW

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast