User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All of my 120-volt receptacles are wired to the same 15-amp breaker! What the heck?

Ok, maybe I'm missing something. I kept frequently blowing the same 15-amp breaker in my Imagine trailer. So, I did some checking and discovered that 9, 120-volt receptacles located on the inside, and 2, 120-volt receptacles located on the outside, are all wired to the same 15-amp breaker. Actually, the way to say it is that all of the trailer's 120-volt receptacles are wired to the same 15-amp breaker! Has anyone else encountered this situation? Surely that can't be what is intended in the design of the unit. And there are 3 other 15-amp breakers in the fuse box.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is this a 30A trailer?

A lot of juggling goes on with 30A and you’d rarely have more than 15A available for the outlets anyway.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @littleapple

Your Imagine 17MKE has a 30A power supply so most likely yes, all of those outlets are going to be on one circuit. Your other (3) 15A breakers are probably your water heater, your microwave, and your refrigerator or converter.
    What type of load did you have on the circuit when it trips?
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What you describe is exactly how 30A trailers are wired. Our 17MKE was that way and so is our much larger current trailer. You only have 15A to devote to those outlets from incoming power anyway, so there’s only one circuit. Just takes a little management of what all you have on at once - we haven’t yet had an issue but I can easily see how you could.
    2022 Transcend Xplor 240ML
    2019 Imagine XLS 17MKE (sold 8/22)
    2017 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0 Fx4
    Blue Ox WDH

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty much every 30amp rigs are wired that way. As others have mentioned, there's only 30amps available for the entire rig you just have to be careful what you run at the same time. No blow drying hair while brewing coffee.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    P you just have to be careful what you run at the same time. No blow drying hair while brewing coffee.
    I don't have that problem. By the time I get the hair dryer out I don't need it anymore. LOL
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, after talking to tech support at Grand Design several times, they determined that my trailer had been wired wrong. Two of the four 15-amp breakers should have been used for the 11 120-volt receptacles in the trailer instead of just one 15-amp breaker.
    Last edited by littleapple; 11-02-2022 at 07:29 AM.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by littleapple View Post
    So, after talking to tech support at Grand Design several times, they determined that my trailer had been wired wrong. Two of the four 15-amp breakers should have been used for the 11 120-volt receptacles in the trailer instead of just one 15-amp breaker.
    You probably helped GD catch a problem thy've had for a while. Now they need to find the tech that doesn't follow instructions and teach him how to do things right. Maybe the supervisor of that wiring station too (assuming they have such a thing - supervisors).

Will GD fix it for you? Or did they tell you how to fix it?
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    You probably helped GD catch a problem thy've had for a while. Now they need to find the tech that doesn't follow instructions and teach him how to do things right. Maybe the supervisor of that wiring station too (assuming they have such a thing - supervisors).

Will GD fix it for you? Or did they tell you how to fix it?
    Dealer said they would fix it as a warranty item.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Solitude 390 RKR was wired the same way. And there was no dedicated breaker for the fridge which meant no way to turn it off without killing power to the coach. Spent a couple hours on the phone with the GD CSR, going over drawings and what SHOULD have been wired to which breakers and WHERE to install the breaker for the fridge.

These things are assembled by a predominately Amish work force. Which is fine but I have my doubts about an Amish Electrician ok?

Shoddy workmanship like the rest of the industry. But at least GD answers the phone and is fairly proactive about making things right.