User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

anybody pulling a 17,000 lb Solitude with an F350 7.3 gasser?

Ford's posted numbers for a SRW F350 say towing and payload fit, but just wondering how the Godzilla really handles a big load. The lighter gas engine definitely helps raise the payload vs the heavier diesel.
    Have seen YouTubers pulling up to 15,000 lb with a 7.3 SRW comfortably, but our new rig weighs that empty. I know I should probably just suck it up and buy a diesel dually, but that big gasser takes me back to GTO/SS 396/440 GTX days!
    Anyone with 7.3 SRW experience?
    Thanks

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HiR9dxvGLY

In case you haven’t seen it, probably best online example of the engine you’ll get. And that pass is no joke. I suspect you’ll hear that there’s a point where both the diesel and dually start to make sense and that most think it’s around 15k lbs, give or take a couple thousand depending on the person.

Hope some people chime in.
    2022 Transcend Xplor 240ML
    2019 Imagine XLS 17MKE (sold 8/22)
    2017 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0 Fx4
    Blue Ox WDH

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smullinax View Post
    Ford's posted numbers for a SRW F350 say towing and payload fit, but just wondering how the Godzilla really handles a big load. The lighter gas engine definitely helps raise the payload vs the heavier diesel.
    Have seen YouTubers pulling up to 15,000 lb with a 7.3 SRW comfortably, but our new rig weighs that empty. I know I should probably just suck it up and buy a diesel dually, but that big gasser takes me back to GTO/SS 396/440 GTX days!
    Thanks
    Why not get a gas dually? I'm sure the engine is up to towing that much load. Especially with the 10 speed transmission to help get it rolling; the diesel would be better, but I wouldn't shy away from the gasser if that's what you want.

But SRW with that much weight, I wouldn't be happy with that if I was going to do a lot of towing. DRW stinks at most everything except for towing; towing is where it shines and you'll immediately notice a difference (at least I did, coming from a 250 into a 450 of the same model year).

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My concern with the gas and a Solitude is filling the truck with trailer attached. Some of the Solitudes are pretty big and maneuvering them in a regular gas station might prove to be difficult. If you routinely camp close enough to home where you can drop the trailer at campground and then fill up, no big deal. With diesel you have the truck lanes which was one of the main reasons we got a SRW F350 when we had a Reflection. You can get the 7.3 in the F350 DRW if you think you should get a dually, you'll have to run the numbers and see what's best. Keep in mind, those numbers published by GD are for a dry camper, without batteries and propane tanks as well.
    Last edited by FT4NOW; 10-29-2022 at 06:59 AM.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for posting the question. I too am pondering the same question, 6.7 diesel or 7.3 Godzilla? I'll be watching with interest the input.
    Tom & Nancy
    Newport, MI
    369RL, #302

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FT4NOW has an excellent point.

Mike
    Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
    2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 367BHS

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anything over 14k is diesel territory for me. Heck, I am towing 11 and I went diesel. Love it!

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to all for the good points....I had not thought about fueling at gas pumps while towing. We always fueled the motorhome in the truck lanes.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smullinax View Post
    Thanks
    While I can’t speak to Ford, I switched from gas to diesel in the Ram primarily for the engine brake and fuel mileage. I live in a very hilly area and absolutely love the engine brake. I don’t believe I will ever hit a break even point cost wise based on mileage alone (service is much more expensive on a diesel) but hope to enjoy the extended life the diesel has to offer.
    2022 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.7 Cummins, RamBox, Air Lift 5000 Ultimate Plus, B&W Companion
    2022 Reflection 303RLS, Progressive hardwired EMS, Airborne Sidewinder
    YouTube Chanel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The engine brake is another point for going diesel. From what I have seen the Godzilla downshifts like crazy descending a steep grade under load. I know that engine is designed to operate at those high RPM's but still......
    Our motorhome had the small Cummins and going down a grade my wife would ask if it was time to use the "magic" brake!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast