User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Happi Jack

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are there ever any real details about how it happened? My wife reads the Facebook stuff fairly regularly, and she reads me some of it. It mostly seems to be lots of "OMG", "Glad you weren't hurt", "It could have been us", and the like, but no data about what exactly happened, how, and why. I'll have to admit I have little patience with the Facebook drama.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Are there ever any real details about how it happened? My wife reads the Facebook stuff fairly regularly, and she reads me some of it. It mostly seems to be lots of "OMG", "Glad you weren't hurt", "It could have been us", and the like, but no data about what exactly happened, how, and why. I'll have to admit I have little patience with the Facebook drama.
    Sometimes they just post and never come back. Usually if they do post back it's the set screw. I'm convinced that virtually 100% of the time that's the issue when the off side falls like that. The stub shaft on that drive is really short so the transfer shaft doesn't have to move very far to disconnect it.
    2021 Momentum 31G
    2021 20' Haulmark Edge race trailer
    '17 Ram CCLB 3500 dually 6.7 turbo
    '96 Chevy C3500 CC dually 454
    2019 Honda Talon X
    1985 Honda FL350R Odyssey

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you again for expanding on what you have learned. Having had to seriously work with my Happijac beds when we first got our trailer, I can definitely see what you're talking about. I have secured my setscrew with a divot in the shaft, Loctite, and a couple zip ties as back up.
    Howard and Peggy

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ours has the new latching pins but there are holes still in place to put the pins. Might just pin it for extra safety. The garage is my man cave.
    2019 F450 CC
    2021 Momentum 395MS-R

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 353G and had the bed fall once which was due to the set screw coming out.
    I check it regularly and am going to put loctite on it.
    I have two issues (maybe more but these are the only ones I can think of now!)
    First, I do not have any safety pins on the rails. Were there different models of the system that may not have safty pins or am I totally missing something?
    I think I will drill holes in rails to put a safety pin in for travel.
    Second, when I run the bed all the up , one of the four corners (usually the same one)will not latch. I have to push it up to make it latch. Is there an adjustment I can make to fix this?

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyman View Post
    I have a 353G and had the bed fall once which was due to the set screw coming out.
    I check it regularly and am going to put loctite on it.
    I have two issues (maybe more but these are the only ones I can think of now!)
    First, I do not have any safety pins on the rails. Were there different models of the system that may not have safty pins or am I totally missing something?
    I think I will drill holes in rails to put a safety pin in for travel.
    Second, when I run the bed all the up , one of the four corners (usually the same one)will not latch. I have to push it up to make it latch. Is there an adjustment I can make to fix this?
    Ours has the pins, but there is a micro switch that stops the bed at a certain point. I would imagine you could move it up enough to get the bed to latch in place. Or the latch itself may be moveable. The pins are a PIA, but one has to say that with the pins in it is secure. I don't know how the latches work, but I would think they should also be pretty secure. The main thing is the Happijac beds are sooooo heavy.
    Howard and Peggy

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 23G and I'm seriously considering taking out the bed deck. We never use it and if we ever needed another bed, we would probably just use the fold down couches. My only problem is finding a place to store it. I'd like to have the weight savings.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TerryH View Post
    I've seen several instances on the Facebook groups. The most common issue is the set screw in the transfer shaft coupler coming loose and the transfer shaft sliding farther on the drive shaft on the motor which lets it disengage in the left side chain drive mechanism. This lets the left side of the unit fall. FWIW, the new units have a different system for securing the transfer shaft so there definitely were enough instances for them to make a design change.

Here's a pic of the coupler with the set screw.

Here's a link to a video of our mods and fixes of some of the most common issues with the Happijac system.

Your display is beautiful 🤩. Since I can tell you’re very patriotic, I wanted to let you know that the flag in lights is backwards. When a flag is displayed on a flat surface, the union (blue stars section) should be on the upper left, not the upper right as it’s shown in your pictures. In order for me to remember this easily, I think about ‘reading’ the flag like you would a book, starting with the stars section. Thank you for sharing your beautiful rig. 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

https://news4sanantonio.com/news/loc...american-flag#
    Ken - Lori
    2021 Ram Super Duty, 2500, Cummings Diesel
    2016 Momentum M350 5th wheel toy hauler
    2019 Cam Am Spyder RT Limited

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken-Lori View Post
    Your display is beautiful ��. Since I can tell you’re very patriotic, I wanted to let you know that the flag in lights is backwards. When a flag is displayed on a flat surface, the union (blue stars section) should be on the upper left, not the upper right as it’s shown in your pictures. In order for me to remember this easily, I think about ‘reading’ the flag like you would a book, starting with the stars section. Thank you for sharing your beautiful rig. ������������

https://news4sanantonio.com/news/loc...american-flag#
    Thanks! The flag has become a theme over the years. We have a lot of red, white an blue and a lot of displayed flags. Hopefully we can simply agree to disagree about the positioning of the flag. In my opinion the trailer is a vehicle in which case the stars should always be leading as I have it displayed.

"The USA flag should be displayed on the passenger side when flown singularly, but if displaying two flags simultaneously, it is acceptable to place them identically on both the driver and passenger sides of the vehicle. Be sure to mount both flags at an equal height, ensuring neither is lower than the other. The stars should always be in the upper left corner when on the driver’s side and the upper right corner when on the passenger’s side to ensure the union is always in a position of honor."
    2021 Momentum 31G
    2021 20' Haulmark Edge race trailer
    '17 Ram CCLB 3500 dually 6.7 turbo
    '96 Chevy C3500 CC dually 454
    2019 Honda Talon X
    1985 Honda FL350R Odyssey

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was looking at my happijack mechanism the other day and I saw that the hexagonal shaft on my camper has a series of slots cut into the shaft with a retaining clip in the slot that was the closest to the black portion of the shaft. This is slightly different than your photo above. a small improvement I guess.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast