User Tag List

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Solar suitcases with Victron 100/30 MPPT

Follow up to my earlier thread about combining Renogy 200w solar suitcases. Thanks to all who responded there to get me on the right track to make this work.

Have now successfully added the 2nd 200w suitcase to our solar. Original controllers were disconnected. The suitcases come with the 2 100w panels wired in parallel with bypass diodes so I left them in that configuration and wired the 2 suitcases themselves in series. When I did the original install of the Victron MP Compact 12/2000/80-50 and fuse modified Power In I left a spot for the charge controller on the backer board just in case I decided to add one later so the Blue Solar 100/30 fit perfectly in that spot. The equipment is in the bedroom cabinet in our 31G. Great spot for the equipment as this very shallow cabinet is not conducive to much storage anyway and is right by the power center but a major pain in the butt place to work. Removing the center cabinet door helps but still no fun to work inside there. I also added the Victron Battery Sense to the Chins 300ah LiFePO4 that I have mounted under the bed so it can communicate real temp and voltage to the MP and the MPPT. I'm impatiently waiting for the rain to stop so I can get some performance numbers. I'll post as soon as I have sunshine.

Trying to get good pics in that cabinet is about as easy as working in it but here's some pics.

Interesting how much smaller the Renogy suitcase is than the original that is only a year and a half old. 3 lbs. lighter as well.

The suitcases are on a 25' extension cable that plugs into a SAE passthrough connector I installed in the side of the trailer. I use that connector to power our macerator pump as well.

Last edited by TerryH; 10-30-2022 at 06:46 AM.
    2021 Momentum 31G
    2021 20' Haulmark Edge race trailer
    '17 Ram CCLB 3500 dually 6.7 turbo
    '96 Chevy C3500 CC dually 454
    2019 Honda Talon X
    1985 Honda FL350R Odyssey

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TerryH View Post
    Follow up to my earlier thread about combining Renogy 200w solar suitcases. Thanks to all who responded there to get me on the right track to make this work.

Have now successfully added the 2nd 200w suitcase to our solar. Original controllers were disconnected. The suitcases come with the 2 100w panels wired in parallel with pass thru diodes so I left them in that configuration and wired the 2 suitcases themselves in series. When I did the original install of the Victron MP Compact 12/2000/80-50 and fuse modified Power In I left a spot for the charge controller on the backer board just in case I decided to add one later so the Blue Solar 100/30 fit perfectly in that spot. The equipment is in the bedroom cabinet in our 31G. Great spot for the equipment as this very shallow cabinet is not conducive to much storage anyway and is right by the power center but a major pain in the butt place to work. Removing the center cabinet door helps but still no fun to work inside there. I also added the Victron Battery Sense to the Chins 300ah LiFePO4 that I have mounted under the bed so it can communicate real temp and voltage to the MP and the MPPT. I'm impatiently waiting for the rain to stop so I can get some performance numbers. I'll post as soon as I have sunshine.

Trying to get good pics in that cabinet is about as easy as working in it but here's some pics.

Interesting how much smaller the Renogy suitcase is than the original that is only a year and a half old. 3 lbs. lighter as well.

The suitcases are on a 25' extension cable that plugs into a SAE passthrough connector I installed in the side of the trailer. I use that connector to power our macerator pump as well.

Nice job! Once the rain stops and the sun comes out, you'll have to let us know how everything is working for you!
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    Nice job! Once the rain stops and the sun comes out, you'll have to let us know how everything is working for you!
    Thanks and thanks for all your help Mark! I'm currently staring at the Weather Channel in disgust. Probably Tuesday before we have actual sun.
    2021 Momentum 31G
    2019 Honda Talon X

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks and thanks for all your help Mark! I'm currently staring at the Weather Channel in disgust. Probably Tuesday before we have actual sun.
    Actually sun? So you have virtual sun? (Sorry, IT joke, couldn't help myself!)

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    Actually sun? So you have virtual sun? (Sorry, IT joke, couldn't help myself!)
    I'd settle for any kind of sun right now virtual real, whatever. Yesterday I though surely I could get enough light to get the system to do something. Got nadda. The MPPT showed that it wasn't getting enough PV to operate. I'm considering running some lights out there and shining them on the panels.
    2021 Momentum 31G
    2019 Honda Talon X

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd settle for any kind of sun right now virtual real, whatever. Yesterday I though surely I could get enough light to get the system to do something. Got nadda. The MPPT showed that it wasn't getting enough PV to operate. I'm considering running some lights out there and shining them on the panels.
    Oooh, sorry to say, but normal incandescent lights (LEDs are worse) don't put out enough wattage to get the PV cells to do anything. LEDs are too narrow a spectrum.

It's different for your solar powered calculator, that little panel only needs to produce a fraction of what your suitcases produce.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The sun came out! Pretty pleased with the performance of the 2 suitcases and the 100/30 MPPT.

2021 Momentum 31G
    2019 Honda Talon X