Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toy4Rick View Post
    Hey gang,

2022 2500RL, wondering if anyone has installed a topper over the slide out (drivers side). Our previous Forest River Class C had one over the slide out and wish this unit had one as well

Been camping in the Pacific North West and between the leaves, pine needles and the water... the inside is a mess after we travel

Hoping a topper will help

Rick
    We too have toppers installed on our 5er and love them for the same reasons plus(i.e. no more climbing roofs to clean off slide roofs, added insulation from the sun during hot weather, and less rain noise from slide tops).

However, now I will play the devils advocate here about toppers....: May grow mold on bottom side of topper when rolled up wet. Difficult to clean under the topper once installed - including slide roof. Toppers may pool water when raining. And finally topper sailing during high winds which can eventually damage the topper or rip it out of its molding.

The cleaning the topper and slide tops issue can be somewhat resolved with long handled cleaning tools with rags attached and some patients. In some cases there is only a few inches to get to everything need to be clean.

We have solved the wind sailing and water pooling of the toppers with a bungy cord and suction cups (purchased from Harbor Freight) placed on the slide sides and over the center top of the toppers "loosely" with just the weight of the cord laying on the topper so as not to stretch the vinyl. Very little to no topper sailing anymore and rain water runs off during storms as the weighted cord acts as a gutter on both sides.

In the past 3 years of placing our toppers on and using our anti-sail&pool system, we have not had any issues with damage, stretching or excessive water on our toppers when in use during high winds and/or storms. Or have we had any real objects other than dust accumulate on our protected slide tops. Also as a bonus, no more loud flapping sounds during windy days which can get very annoying when inside the trailer (this was the main reason for the anti-sail&pool system, the water run-off was an unrealized bonus!)

Recommendations: Cleaning the slide tops immaculately prior to installing the toppers. Periodically clean the underside of the toppers and slide top with a long extendable tool with rags. Try to retract your slides only when toppers are dry as much as possible (we do ours <while dry> the night before we leave due to not waiting for the morning dew or any condensation to dry so we can get an early start on the road as needed). Install some type of sail protection to keep your toppers from sailing and possible damage during high winds.

Last but not least, the best safety mod we have done to our trailer - no more climbing the ladder for just the slide tops each and every time prior to leaving. Now its just the occasional cleaning of the roof, AC units, slide toppers tops, and roof inspection only - all of this at the same time maybe once a year.

Full disclosure: It does help that we keep our trailer in covered storage when not in use, and also have the RV Armor roof protection for added comfort insurance.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Seasoned Camper more tired since retired's Avatar
    southern Georgia, where gnats rule the world
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When we purchased our 2600RB, the deal required s lider awning. We brought this up after we had agreed on a price. Dealer installed at no cost to us, at the previously agreed price. Service manager told me it was a great move and we would be very happy we went with the awning.
    2020 F-250 XLT SuperCrew 7.3L Blue Ox SwayPro, 2020 Imagine 2600RB,
    1600W Solar w/525AH LiFePO4, Victron 3000W, Road Armor w/wet bolt suspension, VisionWork Camera System, Peplink MAX BR1 Pro 5G Mobile Router,MicroAir EasyStart
    Amateur Radio Call N9XGZ FMCA#489460 Escapees SKP#166379

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had one dealer installed when our 2019 Imagine 2250RK was brand new (replaced due to heavy side wind damage), an have never looked back.
    We likewise live/travel in the PNW and it serves a great purpose.
    2018 RAM 3500 MC, CTD 6.7, 68RFE
    (2nd RAM MC w/CTD 85K Hitch Miles)
    2019 Imagine 2250RK, replaced hail destroyed BH (Brand X) in 2019.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Our previous Reflection 337 (first 4-1/2 years of full-timing) didn't have slide toppers. When we stayed places with trees, I always got on the roof with a broom before pulling the slides in. One morning we were delayed two hours because a thin sheet of ice had been deposited on the roof and slides by a front that moved through during the night. That meant climbing a ladder with buckets (a collapsible bucket, no less) of warm water to melt things so we could push the slush off. Not a fun morning before a very long travel day. Since I'm not getting any younger, Laura insisted that we order slide toppers on the Solitude. She doesn't like me getting up on the roof (which I still have to do for other things from time to time, anyway).

Rob
    I have 3 slides on my 310GK, and it didn't come with slide toppers. I am a little old for roofs also pushing 80. I carry an 8' A frame ladder strapped to my roof ladder and a powerful battery operated leaf blower.
    That setup works fine. Ten years ago I had a motor home with slide toppers (4 slides). I still got up on the roof and cleaned off the slide toppers, so I really can't see any point in them. I remember something someone on the internet said about Snap Pads "a solution looking for a problem" or something similar to that. IMHO the same for slide toppers.
    Mal & Helen
    With Mitzi our Yorkie
    2021 Solitude 310GK-R
    2020 Reflection 303RLS Sold
    2020 Ford F250 Lariat Super Duty 4WD 6.7 Diesel Short Bed
    B&W Companion Slider
    Amateur Radio Call sign WA2TWA

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A person can always create work when none is needed.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The snap pads are fantastic when on a level concrete pad. On Sandy or soft soil I put a 2x12 under them. Or several if there is a slope. These Lippert electric stabilizers work better if they are not extended too far.

I too have no toppers. Camped under an oak tree in Georgia. Climbed the ladder and swept em off before retracting the slides. Toppers are likely in my future when climbing up there is too much work. But, so far so good. Acorns will be less of an issue when we get to the desert southwest.
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you never stay in inclement weather, or under trees, or in the hot sun, you'll not likely miss having the toppers. But when we brought our slides in with ice on them, we made sure our next trailer had toppers. I doubt if a leaf blower would have done much to clean off that ice on the slides. Unlike the snap pads, the toppers do have several very useful functions.
    Howard and Peggy

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know with my main awning, I get stuff stuck to the underside from rolling up with stuff on top that doesn't fall off...

For the slide topper, I could see the same thing happening unless the top is wiped clean before bringing the slide in

Decisions, decisions
    Rick
    2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
    2022 Imagine 2500RL

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The stuff that gets stuck underneath like small leaves and such won't hurt anything, and besides no body is going to see it like the underside of an awning. The big stuff, that you want off the top of the slide, like acorns, pine cones, and mountains of pine needles will fall off. Wiping the topper clean before bringing the slide in adds unnecessary work, which is why you installed the topper in the first place: to avoid unnecessary work.
    Howard and Peggy

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toy4Rick View Post
    Hey gang,

2022 2500RL, wondering if anyone has installed a topper over the slide out (drivers side). Our previous Forest River Class C had one over the slide out and wish this unit had one as well

Been camping in the Pacific North West and between the leaves, pine needles and the water... the inside is a mess after we travel

Hoping a topper will help

Rick
    Put one on our 2500RL soon after we got it. A friend with a toy hauler had a big messs when he put his slide back. I learned from his issue.
    2018 2500RL
    2017 Silverado Z71 4x4 Crew Cab

Be Unique Like Everyone Else

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast