User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heat distribution from furnace and how often does your furnace light off?

I know warm air rises and the human body gives off heat, but we have spent several nights down at 34F and had the furnace going on propane, both dry camp and hooked up. Had the thermostat set to 66F and it would shut off accordingly but were we ever warm in the bedroom - that thermostat read 78F well after it normalized with furnace off. Any tricks to better distribute heat?

Second question is how well does your coach retain the heat? Timed it and furnace was lighting every 20 minutes and it was very chilly in the rear. I didn't have another temperature to measure, but curious how well temps should be maintained. Seemed like in 106F weather, the ACs were off much more than on - not so the furnace. I did verify that the thermostat temp was one degree under temp set which is when it seems to trigger furnace lighting. That's pretty much the same in our house, but seems like we lose heat in the main living area pretty quickly. Just curious what others have experienced.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Several recent posts on this same topic. Thin walls, windows, poor insulation and interior cavities leading to the basement all contribute to poor RV HVAC performance.

We hardly ever use our furnace. But, we do use the electric fireplace and a ceramic space heater in our 5er. Both work well enough together in 50+ degree F that we typically get hot in our bedroom and have to diail down the temps occasionally.

As for the main floor (kitchen, livrm,dining) its within a few degrees of the electric FP temp setting. Using the gas heater does force air into the basement to help with freezing, but it can also help circulate any cold air up thru the returns as well. Infacr, we replaced all of our registers with closeable types since we dont use our furnace. Have still noticed that cold air still comes into the living area from returns that we cant louver shut with new closable register under the hutch and plumbing openings under kitchen and bathroom sinks. Maybe blocking those somehow may help.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrydr View Post
    Several recent posts on this same topic. Thin walls, windows, poor insulation and interior cavities leading to the basement all contribute to poor RV HVAC performance.

As for the main floor (kitchen, livrm,dining) its within a few degrees of the electric FP temp setting. Using the gas heater does force air into the basement to help with freezing, but it can also help circulate any cold air up thru the returns as well.
    I can't see any return vent up in the bedroom portion. Seems like the only return is under the forward living area cabinet and into the basement. There is only one small furnace heat outlet in the bedroom close to the floor near the door and when running, minimal warm air flow. I suspect most of the heat just rises from the main living area. About 10 degrees hotter in the bedroom when the furnace runs often during the night yet very chilly in the rear of the living area where the main furnace discharge vents.

We've used our furnace quite a bit in northern tier with temps in the low-to mid 30s - mostly when our son was traveling with us this last 2 weeks - the heat pump AC was a bit noisy when it came on and the fireplace very close to the extended couch when heating so I opted to rely on the furnace. On prior trips the fireplace was the most effective - kept everything nice down to about 45F with no wind and supplemented by the heat pump when needed. The heat pump discharges warm air through the ceiling distribution and didn't seem to raise the bedroom temperature nearly as much.

Work in progress as we're done for the year and winterizing but I might block off the bedroom furnace discharge. Now home, I'll run the furnace for a night and check the temps at different locations if 15 amp connection will support it. Should hit low 30s tomorrow night.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 29RS and behind the cabinets [at the coffee counter] there is a huge open space. There was always a cold draft at the foot kick panel area. While doing some upgrades for the lithium batteries, I was able to seal up one of the huge openings. The other side of the opening goes right into the basement.

When I spend some more time in that area, I plan on finishing up sealing the hole. I also plan on checking out the basement heating. I believe there is too much heat wasted to heat that area. I certainly do not camp when it gets that cold so I would just need enough heat to keep the batteries and water lines from getting too cold.

I originally thought the fireplace was just a gimmick but it does produce the right amount of heat without all the extra noise of the heater. Of course, it's worthless when it's freezing outside.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
    I have a 29RS and behind the cabinets [at the coffee counter] there is a huge open space. There was always a cold draft at the foot kick panel area. While doing some upgrades for the lithium batteries, I was able to seal up one of the huge openings. The other side of the opening goes right into the basement.

When I spend some more time in that area, I plan on finishing up sealing the hole. I also plan on checking out the basement heating. I believe there is too much heat wasted to heat that area. I certainly do not camp when it gets that cold so I would just need enough heat to keep the batteries and water lines from getting too cold.

I originally thought the fireplace was just a gimmick but it does produce the right amount of heat without all the extra noise of the heater. Of course, it's worthless when it's freezing outside.
    Much of the time, openings under cabinets into the basement are air returns for the furnace. If you block them all, the furnace won't get any cold air return.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know this thread applies to fifth wheels for the most part. For the tow-behind folks who might have a similar problem, but not related to heat rising as is the case with fivers. Our 3100RD has the air return under the wardrobe in the bedroom, so don’t block it. I installed a heat register with a shutter to close off most of the heat flow to the bedroom.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Second Chance Thanks for that thought. I thought that may be a reason for such a large opening and I will look into that a bit more when I seal up the last bit. I suspect I will find a way to have a one way vent to allow air to go into the heater, but keep the air from coming back into the coach. I suspect the basement is not very well sealed and what air the heater cannot get from the interior of the coach will just get from the outside. Not efficient but not 100% blocked either.

Right now it is half the size and I swear I still could possible fit through the opening right now. I suspect I will have a least a night or two this winter/spring where the heater will be used and see if what I did helps.
    Last edited by Butcher; 11-08-2022 at 08:12 AM.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    we have a 23G and I feel like we have the opposite problem. We were running the furnace and it seemed like the bathroom and main cabin were cooler than the bedroom. We had a hard time sleeping until I turned the furnace down to 64 degrees.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I swear in mine there is a fresh air intake next to the toilet. Not willing to commit to that 100%.

We too find it warmer in the bedroom. I plan on resolving that problem too. The heating vent is below the sliding door and causes the vinyl to peel. I will probably put a vent that will allow it to be closed off or at least adjusted to limit the flow.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
    I swear in mine there is a fresh air intake next to the toilet. Not willing to commit to that 100%.
    You don't say what model you have, but on several models there is a small return in the bathroom. Our 2016 Reflection 337RLS had one - but it was not large enough to handle the entire return volume. There were also returns under the stairs and under the buffett.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast