User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Taj2800 View Post
    Just purchased a 324mbs and a 2023 Sierra AT4 3500 standard bed. My imagine 2800bh and Silverado 2500 were victims of hurricane Ian. I’m wanting a Reese for goosebox. Just wondering what everyone’s set up is, and if the dealer installed it or you DYI’d it?
    I installed our GooseBox myself. Here are a couple of pointers...

I recommend having a three person team, two fairly strong members and a gopher (I love to have gophers on every project).

Use the landing gear to raise and lower the pinbox into position onto the back of the truck ( I made sure the weight was in the truck bed and not on the tailgate).

Have the proper torque wrench (250 lbs) and the appropriate sized socket(s) and wrench(es).

Tighten the bolts, but do not torque down the bolts until you test the height of the 5th wheel against the truck rails.

Regarding getting the GooseBox into the truck, I bought mine from e-trailer and it had to be shipped, I had them deliver it to a warehouse close to my house and I picked it up there, consequently, the warehouse forklifted it into my truck.

PS: I recommend the B&W ball instead of the Curt ball. The B&W ball sits 1 1/2 inches taller than the Curt ball to give you more clearance between your camper and truck.

PPS: one of the reasons I recommend having two fairly strong people install this is because 250 foot pounds of torque takes a lot of strength to accomplish and it is much easier if one person is holding the wrench while the other is operating the torque wrench.

Good luck on the install. I hope you like the GooseBox as much as we do, we absolutely LOVE IT !!!
    Last edited by SolarPoweredRV; 11-09-2022 at 10:46 AM.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If seriously considering the Goosebox, they now have a Gen 3, not 100% sure if its available yet, but I saw a review of it by Big Truck Big RV, looks like it has some good improvements. Best part is it fits the Rhino pin box which are being installed on a lot of new trailers.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    If seriously considering the Goosebox, they now have a Gen 3, not 100% sure if its available yet, but I saw a review of it by Big Truck Big RV, looks like it has some good improvements. Best part is it fits the Rhino pin box which are being installed on a lot of new trailers.
    Really want to know what the difference is in the Gen 3 from the Gen 2? The pop-off valve was supposed to be fixed in Gen 2 but mine keeps losing pressure every couple hundred miles of interstate bumps.

To the OP, make sure the conical washers are on the nut side and not on the bolt side. Dealer installed mine (had no choice there) backwards and Reese tech support said that needed to be re-installed. There is some play in the bolt pattern and the incorrect washer placement allowed the pinbox to sit unevenly.

I started with a B&W ball but that gave me 9" between nose and bed rails as well as a lot of clanking when starting and stopping. Put a Curt in and everything is more level and no more noise. I didn't mind getting 1 1/4 or so off the top either.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    Really want to know what the difference is in the Gen 3 from the Gen 2? The pop-off valve was supposed to be fixed in Gen 2 but mine keeps losing pressure every couple hundred miles of interstate bumps.

To the OP, make sure the conical washers are on the nut side and not on the bolt side. Dealer installed mine (had no choice there) backwards and Reese tech support said that needed to be re-installed. There is some play in the bolt pattern and the incorrect washer placement allowed the pinbox to sit unevenly.

I started with a B&W ball but that gave me 9" between nose and bed rails as well as a lot of clanking when starting and stopping. Put a Curt in and everything is more level and no more noise. I didn't mind getting 1 1/4 or so off the top either.
    I dont remember all the new features, but here are some.

Relocated air fill valve to right on top of the air bag, less connections, less leak potential

The large metal rod at the bottom/front of the hitch now has a grease fitting

Extra bolt holes for Rhino box

Angle of the entire Goosebox slightly changed

Additional jounce cushions on the interior

No longer one solid piece of steel for main body, 3 separate pieces welded together

The review on Big Truck Big RV included an interview with an engineer from Reese, he was the original designer of the product and talked about some of the testing involved and how they got LCI to approve their product on the frames, it was interesting.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont remember all the new features, but here are some.

Relocated air fill valve to right on top of the air bag, less connections, less leak potential

The large metal rod at the bottom/front of the hitch now has a grease fitting

Extra bolt holes for Rhino box

Angle of the entire Goosebox slightly changed
    I just opened a 2nd case with Horizon Global for my Gen 2. 95 miles from Kutztown, PA to Pilot in Montague, NJ and lost nearly all air in the bag. Recurring problem now - pretty much need to air up each time I stop for the night or fuel. Horizon says do a soap test but don't know what that will prove if it's losing air while driving.

I'm also interested in the addition of the grease fitting as I get a loud snapping sound when I disconnect and sometimes when I connect.

I wonder if the angle change will impact the height when mounted on the older Lippert wing sets?

Anyway, dealer bought it and installed it so we'll see if they address the issues when it goes in for warranty repairs this month.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    I just opened a 2nd case with Horizon Global for my Gen 2. 95 miles from Kutztown, PA to Pilot in Montague, NJ and lost nearly all air in the bag. Recurring problem now - pretty much need to air up each time I stop for the night or fuel. Horizon says do a soap test but don't know what that will prove if it's losing air while driving.

I'm also interested in the addition of the grease fitting as I get a loud snapping sound when I disconnect and sometimes when I connect.

I wonder if the angle change will impact the height when mounted on the older Lippert wing sets?

Anyway, dealer bought it and installed it so we'll see if they address the issues when it goes in for warranty repairs this month.
    Hope it works out for you, cant comment on how any of the improvements are since I havent used it. I do think the air bag fill relocation is good. Obviously less fittings, less leak potential.

On your leaking air bag, I wonder if the schrader valve internals are loose. It's the same as on a tire, sometimes the internal valve gets loose and let's air out. If you have a schrader valve tool, you can try to tighten it.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cant comment on how any of the improvements are since I havent used it. I do think the air bag fill relocation is good. Obviously less fittings, less leak potential.

I disagree that the location of the valve is better on the new Gen 3 GooseBox. To access it you have to climb into the truck, or fill your airbag before you hookup. Both situations are not good; 1, it is almost impossible to climb into the truckbed with a hooked up 5th wheel (especially on Short Bed trucks) 2: you can't get an accurate air pressure if the weight of the 5th wheel is not on the GooseBox, additionally you could easily overfill the airbag and cause damage to the airbag.

I like the fact that I can reach into the truckbed to check the airbag pressure and/or fill up the airbag whenever I forget to check the pressure before I get on the road (by-the-way, this almost NEVER [ALWAYS] happens).

I disagree with the theory of "fewer fittings, fewer leaks". hoses and fittings can be easily made to not leak and I am sure the Reese Engineers can figure out how to make that happen.

On your leaking air bag, I wonder if the Schrader valve internals are loose. It's the same as on a tire, sometimes the internal valve gets loose and let's air out. If you have a Schrader valve tool, you can try to tighten it.
    I agree, the easiest thing to check is the Schrader valve (all it takes is a little spit).
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    I disagree that the location of the valve is better on the new Gen 3 GooseBox. To access it you have to climb into the truck, or fill your airbag before you hookup. Both situations are not good; 1, it is almost impossible to climb into the truckbed with a hooked up 5th wheel (especially on Short Bed trucks) 2: you can't get an accurate air pressure if the weight of the 5th wheel is not on the GooseBox, additionally you could easily overfill the airbag and cause damage to the airbag.

I like the fact that I can reach into the truckbed to check the airbag pressure and/or fill up the airbag whenever I forget to check the pressure before I get on the road (by-the-way, this almost NEVER [ALWAYS] happens).

I disagree with the theory of "fewer fittings, fewer leaks". hoses and fittings can be easily made to not leak and I am sure the Reese Engineers can figure out how to make that happen.

I agree, the easiest thing to check is the Schrader valve (all it takes is a little spit).
    I dont take any offense, not like I designed the new version[emoji16]

Also, I said fewer leak potential spots, you can have a leak with a single fitting. The less fittings, the less places for a leak. I agree there are things to do to make things leak free, but that wasnt my initial point.

Personally, I dont mind getting in the bed with the trailer hitched. I either climb in using the rear tire as a step, or I have a step that goes on the rear tire, and now I have the built in side step on the new truck.

When I had the Goosebox with my 311, I had to get in the bed anyway to hook up the chains, I couldn't reach from the ground, so wouldnt be a big change for me .

The new version still has the window, and according to the engineer from Reese, if you put around 40psi in the bag, it's a very close starting point, and of course he said the air shouldn't leak, so it should be good all season. [emoji1787]

The Reese engineer also said you cant overfill the bag because it has a built in blow off valve.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12