Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    • Domiciled in Texas with Escapees RV Club which includes:
    ◦ Legal domicile (tested in courts)
    ◦ Physical mailing address
    ◦ Voter registration (just mailed in my ballot for the mid-terms yesterday)
    ◦ Drivers' licenses
    ◦ Vehicle registration
    [emoji830] Renew on-line
    [emoji830] Inspection waived when out of state - 3 days (not 30) to get inspected after returning to Texas. We have passed through TX on the way to NM without any issues.
    • Medicare with Tricare for Life which cover us anywhere in the country
    ◦ Recently switched providers from the Augusta, GA, area (where we launched) to the Harford County, MD, area (where we spend a lot more time near grandkids). Specialty care is a lot better around Baltimore, anyway.
    ◦ We are required the annual health check once a year for MC/TFL. We just make sure we're back in the area for that. During the pandemic, even that was done by telemedicine with us going to a local lab for bloodwork.
    ◦ We have been seen in emergencies (Laura was even hospitalized) in other states without any issues.
    • We don't have pets (but have three veterinarians in the immediate family)

You can go to the Escapees RV Club web site and they have a whole educational section on domicile and all the implications.

Rob

EDIT/PS: Sorry - the outline didn't paste in very well...
    Ah, thanks, on the inspection. I thought it was 30 days.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    Ah, thanks, on the inspection. I thought it was 30 days.
    Not a problem. Every couple of years, we schedule two nights someplace in Texas while we're passing through (last fall, it was Amarillo) to get the vehicles inspected. I wouldn't want them to think I'm an habitual evader!

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    I added a more descriptive title to this thread
    I just figured since it was in a Full Time area that it was a given.
    Upstate NY
    2022 Ford F150 with trailer tow package
    2022 Transcend Xplor 231rk
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This past week we switched our domicile from Georgia to Florida. We use MyRVMail in Crestview for our physical address. The folks at the tax office in Crestview seemed quite accustomed to new people coming in and getting drivers licenses and tags for RV's. Aside from the standard questions there were no surprises or issues getting this done. We also went to a local branch of a nationwide bank and created new accounts. Next year we'll find local doctors and we'll make sure to come back 1-2 times per year for our annual checkups, etc.

As for veterinary care, so far we haven't had an issue finding a local vet where we happen to be and getting our dogs seen in pretty short order (in one recent case we nearly had to have emergency surgery, but fortunately for us and the dog this resolved itself). Admittedly not the same as our home town vet but these random vets have worked out ok for us.

While getting our FL tags they asked if we wanted two year registrations which is nice. No renewal needed until late 2024. And drivers license is good for 8 years.
    Steve & Katey
    Full time since 07/01/2022
    2020 Ford F-350 DRW (5361 payload)
    2024 Solitude 390RK (FBP and Morryde IS from factory)
    2018 Reflection 337RLS (Still got it!)

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's the great thing about RVing, and fulltiming, owners can do it however it best fits their life style. FL, TX and SD seem to be the big three states fulltimers flock to. FL and SD seem to have the fewest restrictions on vehicles and licenses. We have run into a few people that were interested in TN. They do not have a state income tax either but I don't know the details about vehicle licensing restrictions.

For many fulltimers, pre Medicare eligible, health care is a major consideration and must factor into the decission. Break Downs, Maintenance and Repairs can be a worry for a lot of owners. Many of us fulltimers put money aside in a separate banking/savings account to use for just repairs and maintenance. We do this and also with the financial institutions we use, we can electronically transfer funds between accounts at the same or totally different banks.

Boondocking - On our trip out West, SD, WY, MT, UT Tami and I saw many owners boondocking on federal land, or staying in out of the way state rec areas with minimal services. This can really drop your costs and get you into some beautiful places.
    We are not set up for boondocking much beyond an over night but we have thought about upgrading our rig to do more of this. We have friends that live near Albuquerque and have a lot of land. They have invited us to spend as much time as we want boondocking on their land. A lot of wild horses run on their land, from pictures, its beautiful country. I have started looking into what we would need to go a week 5-6 days(power) without connections, and wow am I dazed and confused. Lithium batts, bank monitor, wiring, converter, inverter, controller, and solar, oh my! We already have a genny.
    Thinking about mainly power here not necessarily holding tanks, but that has to figure in also.

Our friends "RV Texas Y'all" have an extreme boondocking battery and solar setup on their motorhome and could go @ 10 days before their tanks fill up or fresh water is out. They could go indifferently with their power set up.

We don't need to go that extreme on power but for what we are thinking about, without running air conditioners off batteries, it would be a costly investment, probably somewhere in the $3000-3500 area. With that kind of an investment we really need to make sure we would use it for the cost.

Looking forward to our future adventures and expanding our capabilities.
    Last edited by Steven@147; 11-06-2022 at 07:59 AM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    South Dakota does not have vehicle inspection. Registration is by mail and internet. Must be in residence 24 hours every 5 years to renew driver license.
    Jerry and Jack (Standard Schnauzer)

Currently in Benson, AZ

2018 Reflection 315RLTS

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockhound 7 View Post
    South Dakota does not have vehicle inspection. Registration is by mail and internet. Must be in residence 24 hours every 5 years to renew driver license.
    What is the meaning of, "in residence"? Park your RV at a campground for a day in any part of the state?
    Upstate NY
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by docque View Post
    What is the meaning of, "in residence"? Park your RV at a campground for a day in any part of the state?
    Stay overnight, anywhere in South Dakota, be it a campground, hotel, etc. As long as you can get a receipt proving the over night stay.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    Stay overnight, anywhere in South Dakota, be it a campground, hotel, etc. As long as you can get a receipt proving the over night stay.
    Thanks for the info. I know some other states are odd when it considers you a resident.
    Upstate NY
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by docque View Post
    Simply be in the state for 24 hours. That can be in your RV at an RV park or at a hotel or motel overnight. Boondocking doesn't count because you need a receipt to verify your stay. Last time, I flew in from my snowbird roost, stayed overnight at an airport hotel \, got the receipt and flew back the next day. That was all the proof I needed.
    Jerry and Jack (Standard Schnauzer)

Currently in Benson, AZ

2018 Reflection 315RLTS

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast