User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Buying a previously owned momentum

Hi, I'm looking to be a future Grand Design owner. I figured this would be a good place for advice on some decision making. This is my first post, so hopefully it's in the right place. I'm looking to get a momentum toy hauler and have found a few that like but having trouble deciding.

One has some nice upgrades like morryde IS and disc brakes, and solar with inverter/charger, and 3rd AC. But, it definitely has more miles on it. It's been around the country a few times, shows some cosmetic wear and tear, but has been unused and parked for the last 2 years. Also, it has had some modifications done. The sofa has been switched out for a double recliner and a table. And the bathroom sink/vanity has been changed. And shower door replaced with a curtain. The generator has about 900 hours on it.

The other one is a year newer and has seen a lot less use. It looks almost new inside, but is completely stock. It has the full sofa, which I like, but not the 3rd AC. Generator only has about 150 hours.

Ultimately I'm looking for advice on how to weigh major upgrades like IS, brakes and solar, vs less miles and wear. I live in SoCal and would primarily be using it for weekend trips around SoCal. It would be going out to the desert and seeing bumpy roads. The brakes and IS are very appealing, but is a lot of use something to be concerned about? Any more or less likely to have problems?

I know suspension, brakes, and solar can all be added, but realistically I don't see myself making the investment for the 10-15 times a year I'll probably use it. But I do think it would be nice for towing on bumpy roads, and if I had to make a sudden stop.

Any advice, thoughts, opinions, experience, criticism is appreciated.

Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are they the same model? Knowing what model they are make a difference on "how much" options are worth.

397TH with only 2 ACs would get hot in some locations.

Some smaller/lighter unit while Disc and IS is nice, isn't as much of a "need" vs a want even on the 397 unless you are always on the road and heavy. My drum brakes on my 397 will lock the wheels if demanded but it's the repeated use (say constant stop and go) that gets them hot. Disc is much easier for maintenance once it's set up.

150 hours on these gensets is nothing if you keep on oil changes. My work trailer had over 10,000 hours on an onan genset. I think it had two services outside of normal oil changes in that time.
    2019 GD Momentum 397TH
    Considering a 395
    99 Ford F-250, 7.3, 6-speed.
    22 Ford F-450
    Former Fulltimers, now just using toy hauler to go to Motocross Races and Mountain Bike parks.
    Va Beach, VA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apologies. They are both 328M. So GVWR 16500.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the group.
    It all depends. LOL
    Will you boondock? If so then that solar and inverter will be great. The IS and disk brakes is a real nice to have, makes it easier on the rig. As for mileage, as long as its been well maintained, I really dont see any issue. It all boils down to you and your preference including price.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's just my opinion, but MORryde IS and disc brakes on anything over 15K GVWR outweighs some extra miles and hours on the genset. The 3rd AC is also a big plus. Keep in mind that, when loaded, the trailer will likely put around 3,700 lbs. on the pin (consideration for your tow vehicle). You don't say what year(s) the trailers are, but you'll probably be looking at new load range G tires in the near future on either one.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015