User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jomani View Post
    I recently purchased a Reflection 303RLS and had a Side Winder pin box (similar to the Turning Point that comes standard on the 150 series) installed to ensure clearance for my Ram Boxes. I have the B&W puck system (for Ram). While the pivot point is moved back 22” it doesn’t change the dynamics as far as weight distribution when pulling down the highway - there is no front to back or side to side pivot in the pin box (strictly rotation), only at the 5th wheel pin. There is a slight difference in backing and turning due to the rearward rotational location (behaves more like a bumper pull), but going down the highway, I can't tell the difference from a stock pin box.
    Thanks Jomani. My RAM 1500 that I traded on on GMC also had Ramboxes so I’m very familiar with them. Are you able to access them with the trailer connected?
    Hank
    2022 GMC Sierra Crew Cab SLT 2500 Standard Bed Duramax SRW
    2023 Grand Design Reflection 150 270BN

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tckhan View Post
    Moral of the story is to install a puck style receiver in the bed if you plan on a pivoting pin box.
    @bricknhank eTrailer should have the brackets to install a puck system, if you want to, and it’s surprisingly easy to take the bed off that GM truck. I just did it on a ‘13 2500HD last summer. The brackets I used were for a “Reese Elite” hitch, which is the Ford puck spacing, but made to fit a GM frame.

I used my bumper 7-pin, no problem.
    Larry and JoAnna
    ‘23 Chevy 3500HD CCLB DRW High Country 6.6L Diesel, ‘22 Solitude 310GK-R, Hensley BD5
    MORRyde 8k IS, QD8000 Genny, Dual 5kVA Quattros
    Dual SOK 48V 100ah Server Rack Batts (10kWHr)

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bricknhank View Post
    We’ll Rob, that’s what I thought when I first started researching but I have read in several different sources that with the Turning Point pin boxes some stability is lost at highway speeds because the pivot point is still behind the axle. To me that would defeat one of the main reasons we are considering a fifth wheel.
    Hank
    I have the Sidewinder on my trailer, which is the turning point, just renamed when sold separately. So far in 14,000 miles, no stability issues.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bricknhank View Post
    Thanks Jomani. My RAM 1500 that I traded on on GMC also had Ramboxes so I’m very familiar with them. Are you able to access them with the trailer connected?
    Hank
    Plenty of room to open the Ram Boxes with the trailer connected. Ram does not offer the factory installed 5th wheel package with the Ram Box option so I had to install it myself - fairly straightforward process, just a little scary cutting holes in a new truck.

As far as the electrical connection, I actually prefer the bumper connection over the one in the bed of the truck. That allows me to pull forward far enough to close the tailgate and auto level while still connected to the truck’s 12v system without fear of the hitch hitting the tailgate. I also like the fact that I can rotate the pin box out of the way. My truck has dual 220 amp alternators - at some point I will probably install a DC - DC charger and install a quick connect with proper gauge wire on the bumper as well.
    2022 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.7 Cummins, RamBox, Air Lift 5000 Ultimate Plus, B&W Companion
    2022 Reflection 303RLS, Progressive hardwired EMS, Airborne Sidewinder
    YouTube Chanel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LMagelitz View Post
    @bricknhank eTrailer should have the brackets to install a puck system, if you want to, and it’s surprisingly easy to take the bed off that GM truck. I just did it on a ‘13 2500HD last summer. The brackets I used were for a “Reese Elite” hitch, which is the Ford puck spacing, but made to fit a GM frame.

I used my bumper 7-pin, no problem.
    B&W makes a Turnoverball Underbed Gooseneck Trailer Hitch that can be installed without removing the bed. It slides in from the side. Etrailer carries it. I’ve watched the installation videos and it doesn’t appear too bad, which is good because I wouldn’t exactly be enthusiastic about removing the bed.
    Hank

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jomani View Post
    Plenty of room to open the Ram Boxes with the trailer connected. Ram does not offer the factory installed 5th wheel package with the Ram Box option so I had to install it myself - fairly straightforward process, just a little scary cutting holes in a new truck.

As far as the electrical connection, I actually prefer the bumper connection over the one in the bed of the truck. That allows me to pull forward far enough to close the tailgate and auto level while still connected to the truck’s 12v system without fear of the hitch hitting the tailgate. I also like the fact that I can rotate the pin box out of the way. My truck has dual 220 amp alternators - at some point I will probably install a DC - DC charger and install a quick connect with proper gauge wire on the bumper as well.
    I like your thought process on using the bumper connection.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12