User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

May be making the move to a Fiver

Replacing our RAM 1500 gasser with a GMC 2500 diesel made such a difference in towing our Imagine 2600RB that we got the 5th wheel bug. We’re not going huge. We’re looking at the Reflection 150 Series, 270BN which is a new model. We just dove into travel trailer RV’ing this year so obviously this with be our first experience with fifth wheeling. We’re still negotiating but pretty sure that we’re going to do it once we come to terms. I think that this may be a good time of the year to negotiate a decent deal.

I’ve been researching hitches. The truck is a Crew Cab standard bed and it didn’t come prepped for a fifth wheel hitch. I’ve read good things about B&W and I like what I’ve been reading about the Turnoverball system that they offer. I would like the ability to utilize my full truck bed when not towing and it seems like the turnover ball system would allow for that. I’ll be installing it myself. The standard bed length is 6’-9” so I’m guessing that it’s borderline for needing a slider hitch with the 270BN. That said the B&W Companion slider seems like it works well in concert with the B&W Turnoverball system.

So I guess some of my questions are:
    *Do both the B&W Turnoverball combined with the Companion manual slider seem like a good way to go?
    *It appears that the hitch itself has some adjustment for height. Is there a good way to know what height to install the hitch at so that when I go to pick up the trailer it is at the correct height?
    *I don’t have a seven pin connector in the bed (although there is a blank spot for installing one). Is that necessary or is it still feasible to plug in the connector down by the bumper?
    Anything else I should be considering with respect to the fifth wheel hitch?
    Thanks,
    Hank
    2022 GMC Sierra Crew Cab SLT 2500 Standard Bed Duramax SRW
    2023 Grand Design Reflection 150 270BN

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bricknhank View Post
    Replacing our RAM 1500 gasser with a GMC 2500 diesel made such a difference in towing our Imagine 2600RB that we got the 5th wheel bug. We’re not going huge. We’re looking at the Reflection 150 Series, 270BN which is a new model. We just dove into travel trailer RV’ing this year so obviously this with be our first experience with fifth wheeling. We’re still negotiating but pretty sure that we’re going to do it once we come to terms. I think that this may be a good time of the year to negotiate a decent deal.

I’ve been researching hitches. The truck is a Crew Cab standard bed and it didn’t come prepped for a fifth wheel hitch. I’ve read good things about B&W and I like what I’ve been reading about the Turnoverball system that they offer. I would like the ability to utilize my full truck bed when not towing and it seems like the turnover ball system would allow for that. I’ll be installing it myself. The standard bed length is 6’-9” so I’m guessing that it’s borderline for needing a slider hitch with the 270BN. That said the B&W Companion slider seems like it works well in concert with the B&W Turnoverball system.

So I guess some of my questions are:
    *Do both the B&W Turnoverball combined with the Companion manual slider seem like a good way to go?
    *It appears that the hitch itself has some adjustment for height. Is there a good way to know what height to install the hitch at so that when I go to pick up the trailer it is at the correct height?
    *I don’t have a seven pin connector in the bed (although there is a blank spot for installing one). Is that necessary or is it still feasible to plug in the connector down by the bumper?
    Anything else I should be considering with respect to the fifth wheel hitch?
    Thanks,
    Hank
    That's great news Hank. You will love pulling with the fifth wheel. It's a whole different experience than pulling travel trailers.

I have had the B&W hitch setup now in several trucks and like it allot. My last truck 2017 GMC 3500 did not have a hitch installed so I had a local hitch installer put the B&W underbed gooseneck hitch in and also add the 7-pin plug in the bed. I think it was like $500. Great money well spent. The hitch has different height adjustments that can be selected based on how high your truck and camper sits. The goal is to ensure you have around 5" of bed clearance if possible to avoid rubbing when pulling or backing on uneven ground or terrain. I think I have had mine in the upper holes if I remember correctly.

The B&W bed portion of the hitch is actually two pieces installed in the bed of the truck. It makes it easier to load in and out when you remove the hitch jaw head and then the lower support that fits into the flip over ball shank. Once both are removed....there is no trace of the hitch in the truck bed. The nice thing is that B&W offers a new style puck lower base which uses the same upper jaw head if you ever upgrade to one of the newer trucks with that style puck hitch. Also, once the hitch (truck portion) is installed, it opens up other options for gooseneck pinboxes if you decide to go that route. I've been happy with the regular fifth wheel pinbox but I know there are many on this forum that like the gooseneck pin box style better.

I've always had long bed trucks and don't have any experience with the slider hitches so I can't help you there.

Good luck. You will love it We just purchased a 303RLS nearly two weeks ago and are pulling that with our 2022 GMC Sierra AT4 3500 with the puck style B&W hitch. It's a great combo.

Dave
    40+ Year Camping Enthusiast--Living in CO
    2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC-LB D-Max Payload 3865#--- 5000 Air Springs w/Wireless Comp
    2022 GD Reflection 303RLS-- 565 watts of solar/560aH of LIPO4 batteries, 2000w inverter,
    DC Starllink- Comfort Ride Shock System and Lippert Air Pin Box

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hank,

You won't need a slider with a 150 Series 5th wheel - they come with the Turning Point pin box which is a pivoting pin box. All you'll need is the appropriate capture plate for whichever fifth wheel hitch you decide on.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey @bricknhank, think you'll love the 5er, it seemed like a huge upgrade for us. We have the Andersen hitch (which we love) so can't comment on the B&W. But I'm pretty sure you wouldn't have any trouble connecting your seven-pin connector on the bumper as we do. Overall you're going to love how easy it is to hitch and tow the 5er.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We also switched to a fiver after years of trailers. We didn’t have the puck system, so installed the B&W gooseneck receiver in the bed, and got the slider model hitch as insurance against any really strange parking situations. Glad we did, since we realized after the fact, you cannot use the Turning Point wedge system with gooseneck receivers. Only with puck systems. That said, so far there has been plenty of clearance without using the slide. Moral of the story is to install a puck style receiver in the bed if you plan on a pivoting pin box.

Im planning on installing the in bed electrical plug, but over the tailgate to bumper is working fine for now.

The B&W is easy to adjust the height. The rv dealer adjusted the height at pickup.
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 226RK
    2022 F350 CC SB SRW 7.3

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @bricknhank

I swore I would never get a 5th wheel and for the the first 20 years I towed an RV I didn't.... now I swear I'll never go back to towing a TT.
    The difference is like night and day... you won't be sorry making the switch!
    The only trucks I've towed with have all had 8 ft beds... so I have no input on towing with a short bed. Best of luck when you do make the switch!
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Hank,

You won't need a slider with a 150 Series 5th wheel - they come with the Turning Point pin box which is a pivoting pin box. All you'll need is the appropriate capture plate for whichever fifth wheel hitch you decide on.

Rob
    We’ll Rob, that’s what I thought when I first started researching but I have read in several different sources that with the Turning Point pin boxes some stability is lost at highway speeds because the pivot point is still behind the axle. To me that would defeat one of the main reasons we are considering a fifth wheel.
    Hank
    2022 GMC Sierra Crew Cab SLT 2500 Standard Bed Duramax SRW
    2023 Grand Design Reflection 150 270BN

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We’ll Rob, that’s what I thought when I first started researching but I have read in several different sources that with the Turning Point pin boxes some stability is lost at highway speeds because the pivot point is still behind the axle. To me that would defeat one of the main reasons we are considering a fifth wheel.
    Hank
    Eight years on the forum and I've never read that - and there are a lot of people here towing the 150 Series.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hank

If any stability is lost, it is so little I can’t tell it is missing.

The 226RK tows the best of any camper I have owned, and it is the second 5th wheel. I have had 6 bumper pulls as well.
    2022 Reflection150 226RK
    2022 F150 Powerboost hybrid with 3.5L Ecoboost

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hank
    I recently purchased a Reflection 303RLS and had a Side Winder pin box (similar to the Turning Point that comes standard on the 150 series) installed to ensure clearance for my Ram Boxes. I have the B&W puck system (for Ram). While the pivot point is moved back 22” it doesn’t change the dynamics as far as weight distribution when pulling down the highway - there is no front to back or side to side pivot in the pin box (strictly rotation), only at the 5th wheel pin. There is a slight difference in backing and turning due to the rearward rotational location (behaves more like a bumper pull), but going down the highway, I can't tell the difference from a stock pin box.
    2022 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.7 Cummins, RamBox, Air Lift 5000 Ultimate Plus, B&W Companion
    2022 Reflection 303RLS, Progressive hardwired EMS, Airborne Sidewinder
    YouTube Chanel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast