User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Adding a "helper" charger

Can you run a battery charger while the battery is connected to the RV?

I am just wondering because when I switch to LiFePO4 in the Spring I understand the converter will not charge it fully. Could I put a charger on the battery while it is still connected?
    Upstate NY
    2022 Ford F150 with trailer tow package
    2022 Transcend Xplor 231rk
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by docque View Post
    Can you run a battery charger while the battery is connected to the RV?

I am just wondering because when I switch to LiFePO4 in the Spring I understand the converter will not charge it fully. Could I put a charger on the battery while it is still connected?
    That's what I do, the battery doesn't care where the charging electrons come from.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The add-on charger would have to have a lithium setting in order to do any better than the on-board converter-charger. The best route is to switch out the OEM converter with one that is lithium compatible. They're available for the unitized power centers like you have in your Transcend. Then you don't have to worry about extra stuff and complication(s).

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Adding a higher voltage charger will work if the battery was isolated but it is not.

I suspect it would be fine, but what would the stock converter with that extra voltage? Would it consume it a bit? Would the converter not work at all since your additional charger has more voltage? If your additional charger is rated at just 20A, would that be able to handle the extra consumers may be on?

My $.02 is to dump your factory converter for something that is lithium rated AND a higher current. Pretty simple to swap it out to 100A or less. More than 100A may need additional wiring changes. Since lithium batteries can take 100A easily, you may want to make certain that the converter to the battery cables are up to par.

I would not recommend a second charger unless you can isolate the batteries from the RV and that sounds like a silly idea.

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
    Adding a higher voltage charger will work if the battery was isolated but it is not.

I suspect it would be fine, but what would the stock converter with that extra voltage? Would it consume it a bit? Would the converter not work at all since your additional charger has more voltage? If your additional charger is rated at just 20A, would that be able to handle the extra consumers may be on?

My $.02 is to dump your factory converter for something that is lithium rated AND a higher current. Pretty simple to swap it out to 100A or less. More than 100A may need additional wiring changes. Since lithium batteries can take 100A easily, you may want to make certain that the converter to the battery cables are up to par.

I would not recommend a second charger unless you can isolate the batteries from the RV and that sounds like a silly idea.
    The Imagines have the converter-charger integrated into the power distribution center - not separate like in the Reflections, Solitudes and Momentums. This limits the charge rating available (size and space), but lithium-capable units for those specific distribution centers are available. I switched one out for a neighbor a couple of years ago.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe I know what you are saying, but I suspect that the stock converter could be removed or even disconnected from the panel and an upgraded converter installed closer to the battery [where the real load could be]. Then run 12v cables to the panel.

I don't see this a challenge but an opportunity to make it better. A challenge would be how to integrate a higher voltage charger to be integrated to the stock system. I can only see that the lower voltage converter would sit there and do nothing or at least very little.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    The Imagines have the converter-charger integrated into the power distribution center - not separate like in the Reflections, Solitudes and Momentums. This limits the charge rating available (size and space), but lithium-capable units for those specific distribution centers are available. I switched one out for a neighbor a couple of years ago.

Rob
    I was thinking about changing out the WCFO converter to the AD version. Although I hear those are crap also. We are looking at upgrading the RV in a year or two so not wanting to break the bank on this. Next rig will have the solar, a few batteries, inverter and a converter that works well.
    Upstate NY
    2022 Ford F150 with trailer tow package
    2022 Transcend Xplor 231rk
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I have a 22mle and the converter is wired to the main breaker switch in the power center and is not removable. I’ve thought of replacing the entire power center with a unit that’s lithium compatible but when I look into the rats nest of wiring, it seems like it might be much easier to cap off the existing converter wire running to the breaker in the power center and simply installing a new converter in the space behind the power center. Is this possible??
    Don

2021 22MLE

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not certain it's possible but that is what I was suggesting. From what I have seen, the converters may be bolted into the panel space, but I suspect they could be easily bypassed and possibly removed. There really can't be that much wiring. AC to make the converter work and DC to put all that work to use.

Of course, Google is your friend and a quick search would probably give you a lot of pictures to look at.

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Donpworks View Post
    So I have a 22mle and the converter is wired to the main breaker switch in the power center and is not removable. I’ve thought of replacing the entire power center with a unit that’s lithium compatible but when I look into the rats nest of wiring, it seems like it might be much easier to cap off the existing converter wire running to the breaker in the power center and simply installing a new converter in the space behind the power center. Is this possible??
    Quote Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
    Not certain it's possible but that is what I was suggesting. From what I have seen, the converters may be bolted into the panel space, but I suspect they could be easily bypassed and possibly removed. There really can't be that much wiring. AC to make the converter work and DC to put all that work to use.

Of course, Google is your friend and a quick search would probably give you a lot of pictures to look at.
    The converter-chargers in the unitized power distribution centers are removable and replaceable. Like I said, I've done it.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast