User Tag List

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do disconnect solar panel from electrical system on Imagine 2800BH?

Just bought a 2022 Imagine 2800BH. (Third Grand Design weÂ’ve owned)

IÂ’m putting the trailer away in storage for winter and want to bring the 2 12V batteries home to the garage for winter. IÂ’m new to solar and before disconnecting the batteries, I:

1) turned the red battery disconnect key off in the basement
    2) Pulled the 15A and 20A fuses that are on the passenger side under the front corner of the frame where a bunch of wires meet at a bus bar/screw. (Figured one of these were the solar panel and/or solar charge controller)
    3) Turned off all the circuit breakers inside the trailer. I looked for any fuses that might be related to charger or solar - nothing.

I pulled the batteries, but I noticed my Furrion factory solar charge controller still has blinking lights. The ammeter next to it on the water panel is still showing intermittent voltage and amp readings that fluctuate wildly. Batteries are out of the trailer.

I rechecked all along the underside of the frame for an inline fuse (even pulled the electric jack fuse just to make sure). Nothing. Checked the basement and canÂ’t find anything (short of pulling stapled luan panels which I donÂ’t really want to do to a brand new trailer).

I figure this probably isnÂ’t a good condition to leave things for the winter even with a cover over the trailer (and solar panel).

Anyone know how to disconnect the factory solar panel from the system or what to do to safely leave the trailer for the season?

Thanks!
    Current 2022 Imagine 2800BH
    TV 2020 F350 SRW 6.7L Diesel
    Past 2021 Reflection 31MB
    2018 Imagine 2800BH

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They all come in brand new without batteries and sit on our lot until sold that way.

It will be fine to leave it with no batteries, and disconnected. The solar controller does not put any voltage out to the battery when there is no battery, we tested them.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Seasoned Camper more tired since retired's Avatar
    southern Georgia, where gnats rule the world
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are concerned, when you pull the batteries, make sure the positive cable is away from any contact with the frame. You could wrap it in a plastic storage bag, a 1 quart freezer bag as an example.
    If the batteries are lithium, you could leave them on the trailer with the negative cable disconnected. They store well.

Understand solar cells will produce power when exposed to light. If you check the solar controller, you might be able to shut that off which will cut off power. Also understand using the battery disconnect does not power down everything. The CO and propane detectors are hot wired into the system, as is the power jack, your control panel, etc. In order to power them down, you have to take the solar offline, probably at the solar controller. Our Victron has an on/off switch and our installer put circuit breakers wired to the solar controller so we could kill all power if needed (work with 12v such as wiring). The Victron has it's own switch so we can kill all AC since it would provide power to the trailer breaker box.
    2020 F-250 XLT SuperCrew 7.3L Blue Ox SwayPro, 2020 Imagine 2600RB,
    1600W Solar w/525AH LiFePO4, Victron 3000W, Road Armor w/wet bolt suspension, VisionWork Camera System, Peplink MAX BR1 Pro 5G Mobile Router,MicroAir EasyStart
    Amateur Radio Call N9XGZ FMCA#489460 Escapees SKP#166379

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by more tired since retired View Post
    …In order to power them down, you have to take the solar offline, probably at the solar controller. Our Victron has an on/off switch and our installer put circuit breakers wired to the solar controller so we could kill all power if needed (work with 12v such as wiring). The Victron has its own switch so we can kill all AC since it would provide power to the trailer breaker box.
    My Furrion factory charge controller has no apparent on/off button. If anyone has the Imagine with the factory solar option, this is exactly what I’m looking for: an on/off switch or an inline fuse location for the solar panel.

(Thanks for everyone’s replies. Especially the dealer who mentioned they all come in missing batteries and I should be ok.)
    Current 2022 Imagine 2800BH
    TV 2020 F350 SRW 6.7L Diesel
    Past 2021 Reflection 31MB
    2018 Imagine 2800BH

Seasoned Camper more tired since retired's Avatar
    southern Georgia, where gnats rule the world
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This might help, the Furrion Manual.

https://cdn.accentuate.io/6641527586...7097026099.pdf
    2020 F-250 XLT SuperCrew 7.3L Blue Ox SwayPro, 2020 Imagine 2600RB,
    1600W Solar w/525AH LiFePO4, Victron 3000W, Road Armor w/wet bolt suspension, VisionWork Camera System, Peplink MAX BR1 Pro 5G Mobile Router,MicroAir EasyStart
    Amateur Radio Call N9XGZ FMCA#489460 Escapees SKP#166379

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    They all come in brand new without batteries and sit on our lot until sold that way.

It will be fine to leave it with no batteries, and disconnected. The solar controller does not put any voltage out to the battery when there is no battery, we tested them.
    I had this very conversation with the salesman when I purchased our Reflection - they regularly connect and disconnect batteries when they show rigs. The Furrion instructions (and every other charge controller I am aware of) clearly states, “Do not connect solar panels to the charge controller until after the battery is connected.” Since there is no on/off switch, I am thinking about installing a manual cutoff switch on the positive line coming from the solar panel. Certainly no expert on solar...
    2022 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.7 Cummins, RamBox, Air Lift 5000 Ultimate Plus, B&W Companion
    2022 Reflection 303RLS, Progressive hardwired EMS, Airborne Sidewinder
    YouTube Chanel

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jomani View Post
    I had this very conversation with the salesman when I purchased our Reflection - they regularly connect and disconnect batteries when they show rigs. The Furrion instructions (and every other charge controller I am aware of) clearly states, “Do not connect solar panels to the charge controller until after the battery is connected.” Since there is no on/off switch, I am thinking about installing a manual cutoff switch on the positive line coming from the solar panel. Certainly no expert on solar...
    I guess the manufacturer should listen to that advice then.

They all come in with out a battery......

Delivery drivers connect whatever they carry (typically NOT hooked up to the solar leads) then the units sit on the lot until they are sold.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, the solar should be installed with disconnects, BUT, nobody (OEMs that is) does this. I installed my own disconnect between the solar panels and the Furrion mppt controller. Then I can stop current from flowing into the controller. There are lots of discussion about all of this, but, I would suggest installing a disconnect between the panels and the controller. Then disconnecting the batteries becomes easy. Juswt my thoughts
    Pat Simpson
    2023 Imagine 2500RL
    2016 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
    Blue Ox SwayPro